Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Suggs Interview with Skip and Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Kind of. Except:

• Lamar's opponents were just ordinary bad Ds, not historically bad like the NFC South of '14.
    • No one is using Lamar's stats to say that a certain coach & style of play were better for him than another coach/style.
    • Lamar's opponents represented a great opportunity to get the rookie's feet under him in the league; like a "soft open" for a restaurant.
    • The quip isn't remotely relevant to the thread.

But other than that, sure.
    Bad opponents are only acceptable when they are in line with your opinions. Got it. LMAO

2. Re: Suggs Interview with Skip and Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Bad opponents are only acceptable when they are in line with your opinions. Got it. LMAO

Blog Entries

Stats inflated by playing the historically bad NFC South.
    And the playoff performances?

Stats inflated by playing the historically bad NFC South.
    Yea, Jimmy, you convinced me of the Flacco Kubiak fallacy with that thread last season. Maybe flacco didn't actually play better, but I will say the offense played better. That run game was on point and it took the burden off flacco. The result was a better offense sbrs a better record with the same flacco (which still supports the narrative that our past 6 seasons had a lot to do with coaching, not just flacco or lack of playmakers)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

1. I intimated that Suggs saw the writing on the wall long before this off-season. He brought new details to light that his tea actually tried working on an extension before it came to all of this, but that it always fell through. So, when you have a new GM who is spoken so strongly about locking up guys they want before they hit Free Agency (Albeit, he was really speaking about younger guys), that will likely resonate with a veteran player.

2. The word was that the organization was taken by surprise. This information makes me question how genuine the organization’s feeling was if this is all true.

3. Flacco actually didn’t get hurt against Pittsburgh, but played a few games hurt.

4. I get the sense that Earl Thomas wasn’t the plan originally. So, the word about him being a reactive signing gets another boost.

5. If you go back and watch that 2012 Denver playoff game, the weather conditions were extreme. The ball pretty much felt like a brick or a cinderblock. For Flacco to even get the ball that far, with that trajectory, while avoiding pressure in the pocket, is insane. Which is why I’ve always maintained that Moore was ready to pursue what looked like a shorter route by Jacoby, before he started running again. Moore just didn’t believe anyone could get it that far in those conditions. In normal conditions, the air can help a throw in Denver. In freezing conditions, it’s absolutely the opposite.

5-2: The drive before, Jacoby Jones dripped a third down pass that wasn’t perfect, but should have been caught, and then Dennis Pitta dropped a fourth down pass.

6. Back to Suggs, hopefully now, everyone sees that the Sword wasn’t pulling things out of his Sword handle.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    It was yet another one of Flacco's rainbow passes and could have/should have been easily intercepted.....but wasn't. Lucky play. Either way.....it worked.
    Flacco was one of the best down field throwing QBS in football, especially from 2008-2012 when this happened.

That is why Flacco to Torrey and even Jacoby was such a good tandem, those WRS could run past most DBS and Flaccos arm could beat most DBS.
    You call them Rainbow passes?

He was hitting most of those in stride.

THe Broncos DB clearly miss judged the ball but that throw wsa not some hail mary, the secondary was all trailing, they were not standing there waiting for the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I really don't like getting into these debates anymore (especially in threads that aren't about this topic specifically) but I have to comment on this. I see this here and there and I still don't understand what people don't get or why it's so hard to believe that the first decent QB we've had for this franchise has as so many supporters in the fan base. Having sat through the first 12 years of this franchise and the parade of QBs we went through, is it really that hard to understand why a portion of this fan base continues to have a soft spot for Joe? Like I understand not feeling that way yourself, but I don't understand not getting why some people do feel that way.
    I may be wrong here, but I feel fans who were around for the dreadful QB carousel days will have that soft spot for flacco, as apposed to some of the newer fans who came onboard after he was drafted.... Twitter for example is full of new ravens fans who happen to be from Louisville that bash on flacco all day every day

This thread is nuts. NUTS!! Terrell Suggs is the franchise leader in sacks. He's HOF player with stats that match up with Lawrence Taylor, the best OLB ever. He's a DPOY, multiple probowler and worthy of his own thread. He's a Superbowl champ who came back from 2, not one but TWO!! achillies tears. Instead of a discussion on a guy who was the 2nd on the team in sacks last year despite his age and wear and tear, and how the team moves on from him, we go back to debate QB's?

Here's the thing too, the 2012 Ravens were one of the 3 greatest TEAMS in franchise history. The other 2 were 2011 and 2006. It wasn't about a historic unit like in 2001, but a historic team. In the 2012 playoffs the Ravens forced atleast 2 turnovers in each game, and a total of 10 in 4 games. Think about that for a second. 10 turnovers in 4 games against playoff teams. Turnovers don't happen in the playoffs unless everybody is doing their job. So to tear down the defense or Ray to elevate Joe Flacco does a disservice to the team. Under the same token, Joe Flacco and the offense converted those turnovers in touchdowns. Joe's playoff run was epic. We have all been Ravens fans long enough to see turnovers amount to field goals (see 2006 playoffs against the Colts). Give Joe his props for that. You can throw shots at 2013-2019 Joe all you want, but 2012 Joe was exactly what we needed him to be. I have my criticisms of Joe, and the Ravens for that matter after the big deal, but 2012 Joe; I got no complaints. Not for nothing, we're not champs in 2012 without the special teams either. Every year 32 fanbases hope for a Superbowl winning team, but somehow we hijack a thread to tear our team down. If you saw 2012 as anything other than an amazing team firing on all cylinders to bring home an improbable trophy (beating both Denver and New England on the road just to get there) then you're missing it. I'd even argue that you're missing the brotherhood that football hardship forges, but that's another topic for another day. Remember that Denver game? Remember Trindon Holiday running 2 punts back for TD's. Do you know how galvanized you have to be as a team to beat that Denver team in Denver after giving up 2 return TD's?

Stop this BS promoting one side of the ball at the expense of the other, and stop hijacking threads to do it. We always cry about the national media and spotlight disrespecting the Ravens. Maybe we need to figure out how to give them the proper respect first.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    It was yet another one of Flacco's rainbow passes and could have/should have been easily intercepted.....but wasn't. Lucky play. Either way.....it worked.
    Brady won a few of his superbowls due to lucky plays. So did Eli.. (both maybe) If it wasnt for a lucky play that caused the pats DB to knock the ball out of lee evans hand, flacco might have had 2 superbowl mvps... There are lot of Ifs/Coulds/Shoulds in the NFL

Blog Entries

I’ll also add that while Suggs mentioned a change of direction, he mentions Bell, but overall it seems like just a changing of the Guard from an age perspective. They just didn’t expect to lose Weddle, Suggs AND Mosley, so they needed someone of age and experience. Hence, Thomas suddenly gets a call.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I’ll also add that while Suggs mentioned a change of direction, he mentions Bell, but overall it seems like just a changing of the Guard from an age perspective. They just didn’t expect to lose Weddle, Suggs AND Mosley, so they needed someone of age and experience. Hence, Thomas suddenly gets a call.
    This is where I think you go too far. While I agree, they wanted to keep Mosley, and didn't expect to lose him, remember they had budgeted a hell of alot of their cap space for him. Once he signed elsewhere, they had the same hell of alot of cap space available to use somewhere else.

So they looked at who was left and choose the guy they thought would be most valuable for them based on their current needs.

I don't think it's a grand conspiracy. I think they got outbid for Mosley and then changed gears given the freed up funds.

I don't really see his statements as a shot at DeCosta specifically. Oz was still the GM last year, he could have reached an agreement with Suggs. But it didn't happen. No one knows how much Suggs was asking for, or how much if anything the Ravens countered with. Whatever, it didn't happen. And he says he understands the business side of things, so no harm. He didn't leave badmouthing the organization, a la Bell & Brown.

As far as the pursuit of Bell, I doubt he has inside information there. I think he's going off reports that we were interested. Honestly, especially after Mosley left, we could have matched the Jets offer if we really wanted him. The subsequent reports are we didn't even make an offer. So I don't think it was as much a factor in the new direction he states.

Supposedly we had $14 million as our target price for Mosley. That's steeper than most here wanted to pay, and I think probably more than the Ravens wanted to as well, but felt it was worth it to keep the young signal caller for the D. The Jets offer was just ridiculous and Ravens were not going to match. Nor should they have. So while some of the vets might feel like the Ravens were moving on from them and Mosley, I think the intent was only to move on from the high priced older vets, and hand the reins to Mosley.