Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Reviewing the defense as it stands

As it stands, I don't think this defense is set in stone on paper. I believe further additions will be made in FA, and through the draft to retool last seasons top ranked defense in yards allowed. However, with all that said, lets look at this unit as it stands now, and where they might make moves to fill potential gaps, or if it will be simply players already on the roster who step up and fill that void.

DT/3 TECH/DE- Michael Pierce
    This is a guy who has a bit more explosion than Brandon Williams. And while he is no Haloti Ngata, this guy is an absolute mutant, and can push the pocket bringing pressure to the QB up the middle, and can stuff the run as well as Williams arguably. The guy is so strong, I think it was suggested that he is the strongest man in the weight room as well? Either way, this is a position we should have no worries about, providing Pierce does not get hurt in camp, touch wood.

NT- Brandon Williams
    A bit of criticised player around here, mostly due tot he size of his contract. With that said, he is still among the best NTs in the game, and had a very solid season in 2018. Not as explosive as Pierce, and I would absolutely prioritise signing Pierce over Williams over the next few years, but Brandon is going to play a key role going into next season. We are set up the middle.

DE/5 tech- Willie Henry/Zach Sieler
    A position where Urban did a solid job of playing last season, and looks like this is the first position on the list to have a change from last season. I actually expect a bit of an upgrade in pass rush from this perspective. Urban was a force against the run, but Henry has proven that he is better at getting to the QB. I think Henry will see the majority of snaps, but rotate with Sieler who showed a lot of promise in last years pre season. Sieler has great size and strength, and looks like a similar type of player to Brent Urban. Don't sleep on Wormley either potentially stepping up.

Overall, I do not expect to see this 3 man front drop off from last season, if anything it may be a bit better at bringing pressure, and possibly might drop off slightly against the run with the loss of Urban.

Mike LB- N/A (Possibilities: Kenny Young, free agent, or a draft pick)
    This is one of the key holes in our defense right now on paper. We don't really know much about how Young will develop going into this season. He had an up and down 2018 campaign, he looked explosive and promising in the preseason, then when it came to game time in the regular season, he really struggled in some parts of his game. He eventually lost all of his snaps to Peanut who was his main rotational partner. Now it looks like he is currently set to start next to Peanut. I think we have to bring in competition for Young, as he really did not show 100 % that he is ready to step up, and only made filmstudys list as a developmental player in his defensive end of season evaluation.

Will LB- Peanut
    Peanut really stepped up in 2018 after a shaky start. Down the stretch he showed he was capable of playing the athletic WILL LB role admirably. I only hope this trend continues upwards with the loss of Mosley. Peanut may be expected to even step up as a leader on the defense with the loss of the other veteran players.

This unit is where I expect to take a bit of a hit in 2019, in run defense. We may see a slight upgrade defending the pass, but in the only game Mosley was out in 2018, we gave up 5 yards a run when we played the Denver Broncos in week 3. Maybe we might even use Jefferson or Levine as a WILL LB, and move Peanut to Mike. That would be a pretty bold move for the Ravens, moving to a more athletic defense built to stop the pass over the run which is something they have never been. This would be more akin to a Seahawks type defense.

ROLB/DE- N/A (Possibilities: Tim Williams, Tyrus Bowser, Matt Judon, free agent, draft pick)
    Another key area where we don't really have a definite answer right now with the loss of Suggs. I am hopeful of Bowser or Williams but not convinced. Justin Houston as a released free agent, is the logical choice here, but at what price? I think this is another area where we may take a drop off if someone like Houston is not bought in.

LOLB/SAM LB- Matt Judon
    Still a promising player, yet a total knuckle head at times. He really has potential to become one of our key defensive veterans, but he needs to realise that potential. At times he has totally controlled games, one where he recorded 3 sacks. Other times, he totally disappears.

Joker LB- N/A
    This is where Z Smith has played the last couple of seasons, and I'm not sure if we will even use one in 2019. This could be a role for Tim Williams I suppose, but I could not imagine him lining up inside and being able to win inside against bigger guards.

Overall, I think this is where I would say the biggest hole on our defense is right now, perhaps even the roster. I think its is vital we bring in a veteran, and look at drafting another in the first 4 rounds minimum.

SS- Tony Jefferson
    I expect this to be his best season in a ravens uniform with the addition of Earl. He had an improved season from his first season in 2018, but I still want to see a bit more from him at his natural area which is in the box.

FS- Earl Thomas
    Don't even need to say how good this guy is, I just hope his health holds up. I think he is a significant upgrade to Weddle from an athletic stand point, and is just as football savy and has the same IQ level when it comes to QBing the defense.

I think this will be an upgraded area from last season.

CB1- Humphrey
    This is the season where I hope to see Humphrey break into that top 5 shutdown corner conversation. I still remember to this day loving the pick, while 80 % of this board hated it. That includes you sword.

CB2- Jimmy Smith
    I may have been in the minority when it came to keeping Jimmy this season. I am actually happy we did. He may not be worth the current price we are paying for him, but he started to show signs of his former self down the stretch in 2018. I think it would have been foolish to give up the chance of seeing Jimmy and Humphrey play as a tandem in 2019. Again this reminds me of that Seahawks secondary from years ago.

Slot corner- Tavon Young
    I expect big things from him in 2019.

This is another area where I see an upgrade from last seasons already good secondary. This is because I am hopeful Jimmy will be healthy, we still have Carr, and both Young and Humphrey should develop even further into elite players at what they do.

Overall assessment: This defense is set to have another year in the top 10 ranked defenses. As it stands, I don't think they would be a top 3 defense like last season, but should they bring in maybe 2 more additions, I may change my tune on that. It is arguably the most athletic and fastest defense we've ever had on paper. What we are likely to lose in run defense, I actually think we will be better in pass defense. This looks more Seahawks 2014 then it does Ravens 2000/2006. (Not comparing them, just saying what they look more alike on paper with). Here is an interesting angle, is it worth dropping down to being just a top 10 defense that defends the pass better, while losing out on remaining a top 3 defense due to certain losses of players and becoming weaker against the run, but improving on offense with the rest of the free agency and draft moves being focused for the offense?

Blog Entries

Re: Reviewing the defense as it stands

Bravo!

Absolutely if D is top 10 , which with Wink and we not done I think we still be above top 10.

Building a Offense is a must for me. So if D is above Top 10 , Let’s Go Ravens.
    I love the thought and seriously why not , Give Levine a shot at LB. He is a baller , let the man Eat. Sign Glover Quin to replace Levine Role. Man Quin is a raven bring him in , and move Levine , he is more then willing and works his ass off if Young is not really up to par.

I hope we chill on D til after Draft and cuts. Someone then will make sense for Wink to add to this Relentless D.

Great post and a good a vibe about what we have as of now on that side of Ball.

InEricWeTrust he just getting started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest

Nice write up! I agree with a lot of what you said, and I'm very excited about this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Mike LB- N/A (Possibilities: Kenny Young, free agent, or a draft pick)
    This is one of the key holes in our defense right now on paper. We don't really know much about how Young will develop going into this season. He had an up and down 2018 campaign, he looked explosive and promising in the preseason, then when it came to game time in the regular season, he really struggled in some parts of his game. He eventually lost all of his snaps to Peanut who was his main rotational partner. Now it looks like he is currently set to start next to Peanut. I think we have to bring in competition for Young, as he really did not show 100 % that he is ready to step up, and only made filmstudys list as a developmental player in his defensive end of season evaluation.

Will LB- Peanut
    Peanut really stepped up in 2018 after a shaky start. Down the stretch he showed he was capable of playing the athletic WILL LB role admirably. I only hope this trend continues upwards with the loss of Mosley. Peanut may be expected to even step up as a leader on the defense with the loss of the other veteran players.

This unit is where I expect to take a bit of a hit in 2019, in run defense. We may see a slight upgrade defending the pass, but in the only game Mosley was out in 2018, we gave up 5 yards a run when we played the Denver Broncos in week 3. Maybe we might even use Jefferson or Levine as a WILL LB, and move Peanut to Mike. That would be a pretty bold move for the Ravens, moving to a more athletic defense built to stop the pass over the run which is something they have never been. This would be more akin to a Seahawks type defense.
    IDK if we will see them play Peanut, an undersized ILB, as the Mike with a DB at the Will while in base defense. I still think this organization values stopping the run first & foremost. However, I do think we will see a lot of snaps played in the nickel with Young off the field, and Jefferson in the box. So, effectively it will be similar to what you are suggesting. I think that in passing situations, that will be a particularly strong defensive configuration.

All in all, I'm bullish on Young, and I think the FO is too. I would bet we either add a cheap vet, or a mid/late draftee for depth, but I think they are content with Young/Peanut as starters. We can't have pro-bowlers at every position, and both of these guys have flashed enough talent to bank on them for cheap given how much talent they will be surrounded by.

ROLB/DE- N/A (Possibilities: Tim Williams, Tyrus Bowser, Matt Judon, free agent, draft pick)
    Another key area where we don't really have a definite answer right now with the loss of Suggs. I am hopeful of Bowser or Williams but not convinced. Justin Houston as a released free agent, is the logical choice here, but at what price? I think this is another area where we may take a drop off if someone like Houston is not bought in.

LOLB/SAM LB- Matt Judon
    Still a promising player, yet a total knuckle head at times. He really has potential to become one of our key defensive veterans, but he needs to realise that potential. At times he has totally controlled games, one where he recorded 3 sacks. Other times, he totally disappears.

Joker LB- N/A
    This is where Z Smith has played the last couple of seasons, and I'm not sure if we will even use one in 2019. This could be a role for Tim Williams I suppose, but I could not imagine him lining up inside and being able to win inside against bigger guards.

Overall, I think this is where I would say the biggest hole on our defense is right now, perhaps even the roster. I think its is vital we bring in a veteran, and look at drafting another in the first 4 rounds minimum.
    Personally, I'd like to see them let Williams & Bowser get some PT. We drafted these guys with high picks for a reason. They have some talent. They just need an opportunity to showcase it. Now that Suggs & Smith are gone, they should have the chance to succeed or fail. I think we will be pleasantly surprised.

That said, I definitely would like to see them add another top draft pick to compete for snaps. This draft is loaded at pass rusher. So, we should be able to snag a pretty good one to throw into the mix. If they do that, I don't see any reason to sign a guy like Houston who would just be taking snaps away from the young guys. That said, I'm not going to be mad about it if they do sign him or someone else though, because he's a good player & a known commodity. All in all though, I bet we sit tight on this position, and find 1 more guy for the rotation in the draft.

SS- Tony Jefferson
    I expect this to be his best season in a ravens uniform with the addition of Earl. He had an improved season from his first season in 2018, but I still want to see a bit more from him at his natural area which is in the box.

FS- Earl Thomas
    Don't even need to say how good this guy is, I just hope his health holds up. I think he is a significant upgrade to Weddle from an athletic stand point, and is just as football savy and has the same IQ level when it comes to QBing the defense.

I think this will be an upgraded area from last season.

CB1- Humphrey
    This is the season where I hope to see Humphrey break into that top 5 shutdown corner conversation. I still remember to this day loving the pick, while 80 % of this board hated it. That includes you sword.

CB2- Jimmy Smith
    I may have been in the minority when it came to keeping Jimmy this season. I am actually happy we did. He may not be worth the current price we are paying for him, but he started to show signs of his former self down the stretch in 2018. I think it would have been foolish to give up the chance of seeing Jimmy and Humphrey play as a tandem in 2019. Again this reminds me of that Seahawks secondary from years ago.

Slot corner- Tavon Young
    I expect big things from him in 2019.

This is another area where I see an upgrade from last seasons already good secondary. This is because I am hopeful Jimmy will be healthy, we still have Carr, and both Young and Humphrey should develop even further into elite players at what they do.
    I'm not going to go into depth with my thoughts on the secondary because you pretty much touched on everything. However, I will add that I think this secondary will be SO good this season that it will allow Wink to dial up a lot of exotic blitzes without fear. So, the secondary will really end up being the backbone of a defense that I think will be better than last year, despite all of the losses. 2 shutdown corners, 1 very good slot, an elite centerfield FS, a very solid in the box safety, and an elite 3rd corner is an embarrassment of riches.

Overall assessment: This defense is set to have another year in the top 10 ranked defenses. As it stands, I don't think they would be a top 3 defense like last season, but should they bring in maybe 2 more additions, I may change my tune on that. It is arguably the most athletic and fastest defense we've ever had on paper. What we are likely to lose in run defense, I actually think we will be better in pass defense. This looks more Seahawks 2014 then it does Ravens 2000/2006. (Not comparing them, just saying what they look more alike on paper with). Here is an interesting angle, is it worth dropping down to being just a top 10 defense that defends the pass better, while losing out on remaining a top 3 defense due to certain losses of players and becoming weaker against the run, but improving on offense with the rest of the free agency and draft moves being focused for the offense?
    I'm with you. They might take a slight step back in yards allowed, but they should generate more turnovers. Also, the offense will be better than last year. So, the defense should be more than fine even as it stands currently without any extra additions. However, we know they will of course continue to improve the D this off season. So, that is definitely something to get excited about!

Bwilliams looks like hes continually regressed daily since his contract. He may not even be starting by the end of the year
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Bwilliams looks like hes continually regressed daily since his contract. He may not even be starting by the end of the year
    I don't like B-Will as a player, but he was signifcantly better and produced in the second half of last year, so I disagree with this.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Talking out of your ass as usual.

Bwill doesnt even command a double team anymore.
    Burn it down

I cannot help myself. I’m really excited for Willy Henry

I wanna see DeShon Elliot take over Levine's spot as the passing down LB. Dude plays the run well and can play man to man better than Levine.

If they could add a Zach Brown and Justin Houston to the defense then focus the draft on improving the OL and WR positions I think they could be a.much better team than last season on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    If they could add a Zach Brown and Justin Houston to the defense then focus the draft on improving the OL and WR positions I think they could be a.much better team than last season on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
    Id love this but with the cap I'd be shocked if we can do it. I think its one or the other. Im still hoping for Houston assuming we can make the $ work