Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Where does the Ravens WR corps stack up?

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    In order for downfield receivers to matter, you have to have a QB that can throw downfield. Baltimore does not have that QB. This isn't a knock on Lamar: it is just an accurate statement of fact.
    It's not. Lamar throws downfield pretty well. He did it both in college and un Baltimore. Lamar's biggest issues have been outside the numbers, and on relatively "easy" looking passes where he doesn't bother to engage his hips.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Let's face it, neither of them are great blockers anyway, so...
    Hurst is a good blocker. He's not as devastating as Boyle, but he's good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    It's not. Lamar throws downfield pretty well. He did it both in college and un Baltimore. Lamar's biggest issues have been outside the numbers, and on relatively "easy" looking passes where he doesn't bother to engage his hips.
    Joe wasn't exactly a great downfield passer the last few years either. Honestly, deep passes really depend on chemistry. The QB has to put the ball in a place where the WR can make a play on it and the WR has to actually go up or run underneath it and make a play on it.

The past few years, our WR's and QB's have not looked like they've been on the same page too much.

Some of Lamar's deep passes have sailed or have been overshot by a lot. That will come with time, hopefully. On the other end, hopefully the Ravens can get some guys that will actually go up and make a play on the ball.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Receivers? Receivers? We don't need no stinkin' receivers - we got no quarterback - we got Lamar!
    Aren't you the one who wished death on Lamar Jackson?
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Joe wasn't exactly a great downfield passer the last few years either. Honestly, deep passes really depend on chemistry. The QB has to put the ball in a place where the WR can make a play on it and the WR has to actually go up or run underneath it and make a play on it.

The past few years, our WR's and QB's have not looked like they've been on the same page too much.

Some of Lamar's deep passes have sailed or have been overshot by a lot. That will come with time, hopefully. On the other end, hopefully the Ravens can get some guys that will actually go up and make a play on the ball.
    Great post. Brown was the first guy Flacco had deep chemistry with in years. That def did not carry over with Lamar (tho they did have that picture perfect 50 yard hookup that got cancelled out by a penalty), but he’s certainly capable of connecting deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Aren't you the one who wished death on Lamar Jackson?
    Just let him shout into the void until he goes away.

Blog Entries

Hurst is a good blocker. He's not as devastating as Boyle, but he's good.
    I know his scouting report out of college was as a good blocker, but I'm not sure I saw it on the field in the NFL this year. I will give him the benefit of the doubt due to his foot injury and am hoping for a season of healthy all around improvement this coming year.

In order for downfield receivers to matter, you have to have a QB that can throw downfield. Baltimore does not have that QB. This isn't a knock on Lamar... it is just an accurate statement of fact. So don't fight it... own it.

We don't need downfield receivers. Run two slots.. Or 2 and 3 TE's.. run some swing passes out of the backfield.

Yes.. they will stack the box... so what... quick passes for 5 and 7 yds... Lamar and Ingram sowing confusion.. they can average 5 yds a play

No need to look for true wideouts... because FA's aren't coming here to catch what Lamar's throwing downfield anyway. Beef up the O-line in the draft, and play to your strengths.
    Uhh ohh, another “fact” guy with no facts to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Uhh ohh, another “fact” guy with no facts to back it up.
    Hmmm.. another internet macho guy.

Maybe just state your disagreement with the premise, and you'd actually get a conversation.

Blog Entries

You can occasionally put the TEs out wide, but you can't put them there permanently.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I've seen him underthrow, overthrow, miss reads, and honestly I think he throws better on the run that he does when he's set. I think he's got enough talent to change the game with his legs and with read option dink and dunk... my point is that you really don't need a deep threat for that... nor are we likely to attract a high end FA receiver (as they tend to be stat-driven). As such, we'd probably have to seek a high end receiver in the draft.

I think we'd be better off drafting O-Line and DE.. and playing to Lamar's strengths by running a lot of 2TE, slot, and passes out of the backfield.

I've seen him underthrow, overthrow, miss reads,
    You could say the same about every rookie QB ever. Did you watch him at all in college?