Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Official 2019 NFL Draft Center Thread.

Those who have been posting for a while know that, around draft time, I will post these threads at various positions, in preparation for the draft. Depending on the position, there may be more or less, but I'll essentially start the thread with a few notable guys I've watched tape on and analyzed. Then, others can chime in with their opinions or opinions of other guys. I won't post every guy I watch tape on. Just a few.

2019 NFL Draft Center Prospects

Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State: Jenkins is a guy who, in my opinion, does not project well as a Center going forward. There are some positives to his game. He has good footwork and does a good job of keeping his hands on defenders. On the inside, he can get to the second level. I would say that pass protection is his strong suit. He can be leveraged, but he makes you work for it. He seems to have the understanding of a proper base.

However, he is not overpowering by any means. He does not get good push when run blocking and, while he can get to the second level, his first assignment can get in behind him and make the play, because Jenkins doesn't finish him off before getting to the second level. His cut blocking is very poor. He's just a slow plodding guy without the significant power you'd expect of someone with that profile.

He is not very versatile. He has a Man-power style, but not all of the traits. His double team blocking is okay, but he is not someone who stands out overall. To me, he's a 4th/5th round pick type of guy, but I could see him being taken sooner by a team looking to switch him to Guard.

Garrett Bradbury, NC State: Bradbury is a quick-twich Center with some athleticism to him. He is also someone who is disciplined from an assignment perspective. He was asked to make a lot of seal blocks along the seams and getting to the spot was never an issue. Engaging the defender was not an issue.

Bradbury is capable of playing with good leverage, but his balance is inconsistent. On tape, it was more noticeable when he faced fronts or guys who were really giving the iOL trouble, from a power perspective. Speed guys don't bother him as much. Power-to-speed can give him problem though. Along with sheer power guys. I get the sense that when faced with that sort of opposition, he rushes to win positioning, but ends up throwing himself off balance. His pass protection is his strength.

The balance issues are coachable and, like most prospects, he could use some strengthening once he enters the league. Overall, I think a zone scheme would work best for him. I'm torn between inside and outside zone. Inside, he just has that quickness to get to the spot. Outside, however, he doesn't have to deal with any of those powerful iDL. Nonetheless, he is definitely a zone guy and I think he's worthy of a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Erik McCoy, Texas A&M: McCoy is a guy who has more short area quickness than raw athleticism. He can get out in space, but while he plays his assignment well on screens and stretch runs, his strength is inside. Pass protection is what he seems to be best at. He does a good job of getting his hands on his opponent and keeping them in control. Often times, defenders get frustrated with him and try spin moves, things of that nature. He just uses their momentum against them. If he struggles anywhere in protection, it's against more powerful DTs. DTs with real penetrating ability and strength may get him a little. This was most evident when Texas A&M played Clemson. McCoy does not shy away from contact, looks to finish his blocks and does not seem to play intimidated. Clemson's interior line has just overwhelmed a lot of iOL.

The issue with McCoy is that while he stands his ground in pass protection, he doesn't keep defenders from standing theirs when run blocking. Texas A&M ran some inside trap concepts and he was best with those since, again, he seems to understand using an opponent's momentum against them and plays his assignment well. When asked to block straight up, he gets no push.

McCoy has a good base and plays sound, but he lacks the explosion of a guy you'd consider a top Center prospect.
    He would actually fit best in an inside trap blocking scheme, but will definitely need to get stronger and work his explosion to be more successful at the next level.
    To me, he looks like a 3rd or 4th round guy, more so between 3-5. I wouldn't be surprised by 3 and I wouldn't be surprised by 5.

Michael Jordan, Ohio State: Michael Jordan made the switch to Center, out of necessity for the team. He played admirably, but is just not made for the Center position. He looks and plays like a plodding road grader, but lacks the strength of one. That is the first thing that stands out about him on tape. He just cannot handle the power inside. If he's faced with halfway decent interior pressure, he'll need help. A lot of help. He can move enough to get out for screens and misdirection, but seems lost from an assignment perspective.

He can handle speed guys a little better, but that's only if they lack the proper technique. Then, he has enough power to get them off balance. His problem is that he himself lacks balance, is often caught lunging and will even unnecessarily find himself on the ground a few times.
    I would, under no circumstances, draft him to play Center. Personally, I wouldn't even draft him to play Guard.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: The Official 2019 NFL Draft Center Thread.

You're round projections are very off.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    You're round projections are very off.
    So be it. I honestly put rounds I think they should go over what rounds they will. I just never clarify, because I waffle.

I remember being unimpressed watching Michael Jordan (Ohio St) as well. I think he's a wash out.

I have been watching this dude film study for years and he knows his stuff. Check out his break down of the warriors in the trenches. https://youtu.be/p2Soa5w8Mdc

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I have been watching this dude film study for years and he knows his stuff. Check out his break down of the warriors in the trenches. https://youtu.be/p2Soa5w8Mdc
    A lot of us know about Voch Lombardi. He needs more followers.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    A lot of us know about Voch Lombardi. He needs more followers.
    Lol yeah, mainly the ravens scout team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I remember being unimpressed watching Michael Jordan (Ohio St) as well. I think he's a wash out.
    I would certainly be disappointed if the Ravens drafted him.

Blog Entries

So, the class of centers is not a strong point in this years draft. I really think we should be giving Bozeman a chance to win the C job.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    So, the class of centers is not a strong point in this years draft. I really think we should be giving Bozeman a chance to win the C job.
    It's top heavy. Bradbury and McCoy are better prospects then Sword is giving them credit for. They're just more athletic guys and likely aren't the right fit here.

Jenkins is more of a "power C", but he's soft, has weak technique and his play strength won't mask this in the NFL the way it did in college.

Lamont Gaillard is still my guy.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I will say that GreatWhiteNorthRaven is absolutely right about what he is saying about my critiques, from a round projection perspective. I tend to grade hard and focus more on, what round I would be fine taking them in on that hard grade. My projections are not very accurate, if at all frankly, to where the player will actually go or be projected to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I will say that GreatWhiteNorthRaven is absolutely right about what he is saying about my critiques, from a round projection perspective. I tend to grade hard and focus more on, what round I would be fine taking them in on that hard grade. My projections are not very accurate, if at all frankly, to where the player will actually go or be projected to go.
    I think it creates a fun discussion on premium positions.

C is one of them. Round they should go vis-a-vis round they will go is very relative. So from that perspective I don't disagree with you.

One of the reasons I wanted Paradis was because I didn't see too many scheme fits in the top C's in the draft and I hate Jenkins with a firey passion (Serioulsy, how has no one taught that guy how to stay low out of his stance? Ridiculous).

One guy I have my eye on is Connor McGovern. Ironically, there's another Connor McGovern that transition to C for Denver last year when Paradis went down.

This years McGovern (Penn State) is looking like a 3rd rounder and I think can make that transition. However, even he is more athletic than he is powerful.

I've been re-watching Skura to get a feel for his individual performance (I think he got screwed in his first year as a starting C having such trash at LG). In the powers, he's the perfect guy to block down the line becuase he is athletic. The big issue I have is in traps or inside zone when he has a defender over him. He just doesn't get the push. I worry abotu that with McCoy and Bradbury. I also need ot see more anchor on pass block reps.
    - Ray Lewis