Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Analyzing what they do at the biggest position of need.

We do this annually. During the season, somebody tries to use analytics to make the point that the offensive line isn’t as bad as we rag on it. Meanwhile, we lament not having WRs who can even be counted on to consistently do the basics. Also, while we watch other team’s WRs make spectacular catches to help out their QBs.

Then, the off-season comes, and we put WR behind the offensive line. Every time.

Blog Entries

And THEN, we go through the list of teams who have won titles without a #1 WR. Completely oblivious to the other HALF DOZEN high qualities aspects of an offensive foundation that those teams also have in place that allows them to have that sort of success.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And THEN, we go through the list of teams who have won titles without a #1 WR. Completely oblivious to the other HALF DOZEN high qualities aspects of an offensive foundation that those teams also have in place that allows them to have that sort of success.
    We won the superbowl without elite WRs..... twice

I have always been a proponent of building the Line on both sides of the ball, and have been frustrated that it did not look like that was a focus of Ozzie's. I tip my hat to the development that they could achieve with lower round OL-men, but the time investment always tested my patience.

Having said all that, I lean more towards a Pass Rusher as a "Need", even though WR is clearly a hole that has to be filled. IMHO though, with the Offense that will be developed with Lamar's learning curve, I think that WR will be more concentrated on young guys that need to grow with Lamar and a veteran or two who can deal with not being "The Man" while he makes progress. It will probably take time for a drafted-WR to make a splash anyway, so developing with LJ's progressions would be a focus for me.

Building the Line for the future with the Offense that Lamar will generate should get more attention in this off-season, even if other spots are deemed important.
    Captain Offense

I believe in ideal world we would need a talented guard-C and I realize the WR group is in deep shit.

However am I the only one that think the front-7 is our worst concern?

DT: Check. Except from that nothing is check.

ILB.. yep you have Peanut and Young.. and maybe 3 others Matt Thomas, Chris Board and Bam Bradley. We really know very little since we had Pro bowler who did most of the dirty work. Maybe I had been less concerned here if I knew our passrushers could do their job.

Pass rush.. we need four, and only Judon have so fare proved his worth, Williams and Bowser we really have no clue if they will boom or bust.

DE: We most likely need a replacement for what Urban did.

Is this is our worst LB-group ever?

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    I believe in ideal world we would need a talented guard-C and I realize the WR group is in deep shit.

ILB.. yep you have Peanut and Young.. and maybe 3 others Matt Thomas, Chris Board and Bam Bradley. We really know very little since we had Pro bowler who did most of the dirty work. Maybe I had been less concerned here if I knew our passrushers could do their job.

Pass rush.. we need four, and only Judon have so fare proved his worth, Williams and Bowser we really have no clue if they will boom or bust.

It would be the worst if we played games in March. Luckily, we don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    We do this annually. During the season, somebody tries to use analytics to make the point that the offensive line isn’t as bad as we rag on it. Meanwhile, we lament not having WRs who can even be counted on to consistently do the basics. Also, while we watch other team’s WRs make spectacular catches to help out their QBs.

Then, the off-season comes, and we put WR behind the offensive line. Every time.
    this is true.

We may see a shift in the fanbase with Lamar however. I have noticed posters that would previously claim the oline was "good enough" and the WR were "talented" have started to lament about the same issue's we've had for years.

progress is slow for a fan base drenched in defensive glory. Look at chicago, they are finally now just accepting offense as a part of the game
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We won the superbowl without elite WRs..... twice
    To be fair that statement needs to be couched with

2000 - the greatest Defense of all time, who didnt even allow a play past the 50 yard line until at least half time (maybe even all game).

We also had a 2000 yard rusher

2012 - Arguably the greatest playoff performance by a QB in all of NFL history, I'd lean towards Montana, but as much crap as some ppl gave joe...there is no one that actually watched that playoff run..... that isnt a Ray lewis bootlicker that doesnt think Flacco carried his limp carcass across the finish line

I've done this dozens of times, you need a top 12 offense and defense to win a superbowl nearly every year

the exceptions are 2000 ravens, Denver Mannings, and Seattles superbowl
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post

The Lb's and passrush are definately the weakest part on D. It's a process though, call it what you want rebuild, retool. The offense has to take priority, simply because it usually takes longer to develop than the defense. So maybe the Ravens focus more on defense in next years draft. Who knows, maybe (probably) their record isn't as good as last years and they end up drafting in the teens or earlier in next years draft. Maybe thats when you go after that stud passrusher.

The ravens drafting at 22, or worse should they trade back, shouts IOL top value. Next years draft the Ravens pick will probably have a better chance at nabbing a higher rated passrusher/LB or WR should Bowser and Williams pan out.

It is hard to make a call between wr and interior oline at this point. I don't think the answer is in free agency for either. Did not think this free agency lined up with our needs. I don't feel like the Ravens are going to be able to get anyone in the draft or free agency who is going to come in and be an improvement at either position. It is hard for rookies to come in and make an impact immediately at either position.

Ravens need to consider edge rusher or trading back with first round pick. The 3rd round needs to probably have wr and interior oline. Maybe you get lucky and hit on an immediate contributor. I believe the Ravens have to roll with what they have at oline and hope that Bozeman or Eleumanor or Lewis breaks out. Maybe Senat can play at G.

WR - I think we are going to have to give the guy we draft and Lasley/Scott a ton of reps and hope one hits. Outside WR was really weak in free agency.

Unless there is a surprise cut I don't too many options that can help along the Oline and at WR.
    Need to hit on the interior in the draft because this may be it for Yanda.

To me, it's WR or EDGE for sure. Like I know we'd like to upgrade the OL, but man we only have 2 WRs on the roster who even caught a pass last year. I know we assume we're going to bring a guy in, but like, we haven't yet, and until we do it needs to be considered a huge need. Similarly, Judon is the only pass rusher we have that's like even passable. If we lined up some combo of Bozeman, Elumenor, Hurst, Lewis, and Skura, at G and C, we'd be passable. It wouldn't be ideal, but like at least these guys all at least got playing time last year. Literally all our WRs on our team right now combined for 847 yards.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

I don't know how it will eventually shake out, resource-wise...but personally, I have a lot more confidence in the Front Office finding an Interior O-Lineman that can play in the middle rounds than I do WR or Pass Rusher.