What offensive information are you interested in?

Hey all,

Not sure if this will get much pickup but I wanted to throw it out there.

Michael Crawford (@abukari on twitter) is one of the best Ravens-based scheme guys. He worked with Logan Levy to do all of the run game charting (i.e. how many powers, inside zone, etc.). UnorganizedChaos was really good at doing this for the forum.

I'm going ot be working with Crawford and involving Chaos in some collab pieces next year. My goal is to decipher our offensive scheme. So in the run game it's easier becasue determining what the play was is a lot easier. But we're going to work together and do all of the charting so fans can see how often we run certain plays, what the formation was, when we ran them, etc.

In the pass game, we're going to do some interesting things including drawing up pass plays (route trees) and the ntrying to see what we do consistently.

So my question, what are you guys interested in knowing more about? I'm going to make these RSR articles, so you guys are part of that base and I want to give peolple stuff they're interested in.

Thanks,
    GWNR
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: What offensive information are you interested in?

I like to see if our offense can actually scheme guys open in the pass game GWNR. It’s neither here nor there but we all know a lot of WRs and TEs can’t seem to “get open” on their own. So it would be interesting to see if Roman can find a way to scheme some guys open.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

I feel like the interesting part of a rushing based offense is how the blocking schemes work, so definitely that, but it would be cool to see actual bona fide examples of teams playing us differently because of our threat to run, and us praying on that with a big play. Like show me why this big passing play would not have worked unless we set it up with the run.

People talk a lot about establishing the run to set up the pass. People talk about how that helps play action. I want to see if any of that is true in this offense.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I feel like the interesting part of a rushing based offense is how the blocking schemes work, so definitely that, but it would be cool to see actual bona fide examples of teams playing us differently because of our threat to run, and us praying on that with a big play. Like show me why this big passing play would not have worked unless we set it up with the run.

People talk a lot about establishing the run to set up the pass. People talk about how that helps play action. I want to see if any of that is true in this offense.
    So you want to see our offensive scheme, BUT also what the defensive scheme was. Perhaps we could draw trends throughout the game (So if we're running a lot, do they adjust their men in the box, then compare that vis-a-vis pass plays called.

I like that.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

I'd like to see success of 3 WR sets as well as 2 TE sets. Success meaning yards gained is set at over 5-6 yards. If possible to see depth of routes run on those plays as well.

Any information regarding Yanda's future. I hear he is considering his future, per sources.

Are we running pass and run plays from the same personnel packages and formations? Or are we "tipping", some packages / formations signalling run, and others signalling pass?

What's our play-action game look like? Simple or diverse? Calling it a lot, or a little? Is it effective?

"Big boy" route concepts and combinations? Or does it look like things are stripped down / simplified for Lamar?

When Lamar is improvising and rolling out of the pocket, who looks like they are doing a good job improvising with him, and making themselves available for a pass? Who's not?

Is our pass-protection teh suck, or adequate?

Where are we winning & losing in the passing game? Are we making plays vs zone? Vs man? Failing vs one or the other?

Are we seeing what the defense is giving, and taking it? Or are we just roboticly running "our" play, without taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves?

Those are some of the questions that occur to me.

Multiple RB and TE sets are what I am most interested in.

Question however - if you guys are able to decipher the scheme, won't that mean other NFL teams will decipher the scheme and therefore have success against the Ravens offense?

Maybe my logic is flawed here.

What sets, motion and blocking schemes will Roman use to maximize LJ in RPOs?
    What is Roman doing to scheme a passing game that LJ can succeed in when defenses dare him to throw the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Question however - if you guys are able to decipher the scheme, won't that mean other NFL teams will decipher the scheme and therefore have success against the Ravens offense?

One suspects that opposing DCs will be a little ahead of GWNR & co.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Most offenses run so many variations it's almost impossible to predict. Obviously we saw what the predictability cna look like though.

I think we'll decipher scheme preferences. But that's all known. Like if WInk is preparing for the Steelers, in practice he's talking about attacking gaps against a zone blocking line.

I'm not sure we'll get down to anything more than trends, which I think teams may know if they study the film enough. Executing on that knowledge is the thing. With so much variation it's hard to do.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Are we running pass and run plays from the same personnel packages and formations? Or are we "tipping", some packages / formations signalling run, and others signalling pass?

What's our play-action game look like? Simple or diverse? Calling it a lot, or a little? Is it effective?

"Big boy" route concepts and combinations? Or does it look like things are stripped down / simplified for Lamar?

When Lamar is improvising and rolling out of the pocket, who looks like they are doing a good job improvising with him, and making themselves available for a pass? Who's not?

Is our pass-protection teh suck, or adequate?

Where are we winning & losing in the passing game? Are we making plays vs zone? Vs man? Failing vs one or the other?

Are we seeing what the defense is giving, and taking it? Or are we just roboticly running "our" play, without taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves?

Those are some of the questions that occur to me.
    Jimmy, regarding your first paragraph; are we running pass and run plays under the same formations, or tipping our hand....

This was the worst thing about the Mornhinweg. Abundantly predictable formations and playcalling. Let's hold Roman to a higher standard. This is top of my list.

I love this whole concept of serious analysis by an independent party (this board:). If we can scout our own offense, publicly, and the result is that it's predictable, inefficient and uncreative; we know we're in the right to criticize. If the data shows otherwise, all hail the Roman. Without this kind of analysis we're just spectators.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk