A Reckoning Was Happening Either Way

I have tried wrapping my mind around not having Ozzie Newsome stepping down as GM who has been a mainstay for as long as we have been Ravens fans. He has had unquestionable success when measured against his contemporaries. He missed on some and could not seemingly draft a WR to save his life, although Torrey was somewhat of an outlier. That said, It is EDC's show now, and for better or worse we are going to be living and dying by his ability for the forseeable future. As with all change though this is going to make some happy and some not, and none of us knowing how it is really going to pan out. That said I think we are going to have a few rough years, and it would happen either way. This is just the way the roster has shaped up, and how we have drafted. I am withholding my judgement on EC because he has some tough things to try to manage, and a lot of things working against him. That said there is another side that could make him out to be the next great GM.

The first is that we only have 39 players under contract next year. We have $110 million in cap space next year, roughly, but we dont even have enough for a gameday roster as of next year. He has to evaluate EVERYONE, and figure out how we are going to field a competitive roster with sufficient depth. Sure he could sign an extremely top heavy roster with great players at the top, but we would have nothing behind them. He was not too active in free agency thankfully because he obviously sees this. I could have done without signing either ET3 and Ingram even though I think they make us better. I think that 55 million would be great to have over the next 4 years, but I can see why he did not. We will have to have some sort of veteran presence because we are shaping up to being a very young team. We have some expensive players to get under contract next year to maintain our young core such as Stanley,Judon (antics aside), Pierce, Henry, Canaday, and some others you can debate. Then we have the older guys like Tucker, Yanda, Jimmy, Carr, and Snead. So some of those are leaving most likely such as Judon, Henry, Jimmy, and Carr. That leaves us with about 35 people on the roster and $100 million dollars to provide a competitive roster. That is a tall task.

The second is Lamar. Whether you think he is great or not is not really relevant, but what is, is the effect he has on the roster. There are not going to be a lot of good WR's that are going to want to play in this system unless he shows some EXTREME improvement in his his mechanics, and his throwing motion and his general accuracy. This is obviously not impossible, and he can certainly will himself into a better passer, but I think it is a tall ask for a guy as raw as he is and such a truncated time table. He might show some improvement next year but I am not expecting a revelation. He can still be good but it is going to be in an offense that is not being catered too like the rest of the leagues QB's. With the spread offense becoming more prevalent in the league the draft and the correlating FA crop is going to be pass catchers or at least focused on those, so finding the right pieces could be challenging. He is gong to have to nail the draft for the next few years to turn this roster into legitimate contenders. I think by the time this happens this years FA are going to be on the way out.

Now I say these things because I feel we should have expectations of a rebuild because that is what the current roster is pointing too. I think he knows he has to save money to field a decent roster next year, but more importantly a foundational roster for the future. You can blame that on anyone you want, but that is the situation he is handed. Now we can certainly still be a great team in 2 or 3 years, but we have some major maneuvering to do to get to that point. There is a pretty uninspiring group of WR's and edge rushers next year with some exceptions. AJ Green is available, but I dont think we are getting him. Same with edge with D lawerence, Von Miller, and Clowney. So we are going to have to rely on Bowser and Williams in all likelihood plus however we draft.

We have some aging guys who are FA's next year who we might not resign, but the FA class is not lining up to be any good for OL, WR, or edge rushers which I think are our biggest needs. He is in a tough spot,, at least from what I can see. Some might see it different and I would love to hear those opinions too, maybe I missed something. It just looks like EDC has a tough road to forge and it could be a full on rebuild for us.

Re: A Reckoning Was Happening Either Way

There is already a "rebuild" thread that was started a few days ago

He is a consultant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Eric DeCosta definitely had his work cut out for him. There was no easy fix to this situation.

Lamar is going to have to be a top 10 passer before his own fans realize how good a passer he is.

The rhetoric behind Lamarís passing is completely divorced from his actual production.

Very few of Ravens fans in this forum acknowledge that his rookie passing numbers were second only to Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Lamar is going to have to be a top 10 passer before his own fans realize how good a passer he is.

The rhetoric behind Lamarís passing is completely divorced from his actual production.

Very few of Ravens fans in this forum acknowledge that his rookie passing numbers were second only to Baker.
    Yeah which is good considering of the rookie quarterbacks only one is even in the conversation as a franchise guy. One is about to get traded after his team moves on from him after a rookie season, the other guy in Buffalo looked absolutely god-awful, so much so that they're even considering finding another guy. The jury's still out on the Sam, he could be okay, but nobody is considering him to be anywhere close to a good quarterback yet. And he still throws a better ball than our guy, although our guy can run. people need to quit fooling themselves into thinking Lamar's a competent passer. At least, not a complete arsenal throws, he does not have that yet. Not to say he won't, but he does not yet. Saying that he does is divorced from reality.

Regarding the 39 players under contract next year:

a) the draft will bring in 7 new players, perhaps more if DeCosta
    b) there will be a good number of UDFA brought in like there are every year and we have a streak going of UDFA making the team
    c) the Ravens have 28 (yes 28) players up for free agency in 2020 and EDC is working on extending a few of them before they get there

I am not that concerned about it.
    #2019AFCNChamps

Blog Entries

I remember my first beer.