Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Kareem Hunt gets an 8 game suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    and if you do change the policy and start suspending players for what they did in college you would have to let teams know before the draft.
    Exactly. It's a really really slippery slope once you get into it...

What next? Holding kids accountable in the NFL for what they did in high school?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I've done this several times already but if you'd like to know why this is VERY different from Rice I will tell you lol.
    Could you do it concisely?
    I've paid zero attention to Hunt, so not conversant with details.

EDIT: NVM, looks like Wicked hit it already.

Unpopular opinion coming...

The NFL is generally sexist and it shows by the inconsistency of these punishments. No uniform standards = wiggle room for abusers. I don't care how many pink socks or uniforms they wear.

As a private organization, they have every right to be sexist, but they need to stop pretending to the public and either eradicate the sexism all together, or embrace it 100% and deal with the fall out. At least then we will have a consistent playing field one way or the other to deal with abusers. I am tired of the excuse making.

What happened to Ray was appropriate, and the same no excuse policy should have been applied here.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSerg View Post
    What happened to Ray was appropriate, and the same no excuse policy should have been applied here.
    Eh.

Assuming Wicked's description above is accurate – I don't care enough to go looking for vid – the problem with a no-excuse policy in this case is, it sounds like SHE was attacking HIM. In general I agree with "there's no reason to hit a woman." But that's not a license for a lady to strike at you with impunity. You have to reserve some right to shove someone away / protect yourself / whatever.

It's not even the fact that she instigated the situation. Hitting a woman=/=domestic abuse. Plain and simple. Domestic abuse requires a relationship. That's not just a semantic difference, it dramatically alters the situation.

This woman got physically assaulted. Then the experience was over. With domestic abuse, 90% of the time physical assault is paired with ongoing manipulation, control, and emotional and psychological abuse. Even in a situation like Ray's, where it really did seem to be a one-off physical attack, a person deserves to feel safe in their home or with their loved one. Now that feeling is shattered, and should you try to repair it like Ray and Janelle have apparently done, it takes considerable time, effort, and emotional strain. For this woman, she got shoved/kicked by a stranger in some hotel hallway. That is assault, and it warrants punishment even if she was instigating, but it's not remotely the same.

Further, this woman never has to see Kareem Hunt again. Even if a victim of abuse is able to leave, it is often impossible to cleanly disentangle their life from their abuser's. And often, they aren't able to leave, whether through "love" or control (more often both, driven by the latter), or because they simply enough do not have the means/resources to do so. Victims can and often do become trapped in their situation. That was never on the table here.

What he did was not ok. And I'm on board with him getting suspended. But it WAS NOT domestic abuse, and acting like it was, or was equivalent, is frankly insulting to victims/survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    It's not even the fact that she instigated the situation. Hitting a woman=/=domestic abuse. Plain and simple. Domestic abuse requires a relationship. That's not just a semantic difference, it dramatically alters the situation.

This woman got physically assaulted. Then the experience was over. With domestic abuse, 90% of the time physical assault is paired with ongoing manipulation, control, and emotional and psychological abuse. Even in a situation like Ray's, where it really did seem to be a one-off physical attack, a person deserves to feel safe in their home or with their loved one. Now that feeling is shattered, and should you try to repair it like Ray and Janelle have apparently done, it takes considerable time, effort, and emotional strain. For this woman, she got shoved/kicked by a stranger in some hotel hallway. That is assault, and it warrants punishment even if she was instigating, but it's not remotely the same.

Further, this woman never has to see Kareem Hunt again. Even if a victim of abuse is able to leave, it is often impossible to cleanly disentangle their life from their abuser's. And often, they aren't able to leave, whether through "love" or control (more often both, driven by the latter), or because they simply enough do not have the means/resources to do so. Victims can and often do become trapped in their situation. That was never on the table here.

What he did was not ok. And I'm on board with him getting suspended. But it WAS NOT domestic abuse, and acting like it was, or was equivalent, is frankly insulting to victims/survivors.
    I am sorry but abuse is abuse. I just disagree with your view on this, although I respect your reasoning for coming to it. I was in a very short term relationship with a woman who smashed the lights and windows of my car out with a roller skate, then clocked me in the head, requiring me to have stitches. You know what I never did? Hit her back. I walked (actually ran) away. Trust me, I wanted to clock her. This came out of the blue and while she was in a rage, and there was no history. Had I hit her back, the law would have seen it differently.

It is unequal, and some may say unfair. A football player of all people should know this.

However, I am not even arguing that the crimes are equal, I am arguing that the punishments should be equal, standardized and consistent. To do otherwise leaves too much room for excuses to be made for why "she deserved it in this case". Although no one will say it that way, that is the message that is sent to women when you don't set consistent standards.

I am sorry about your experience. Men can absolutely be victims of abuse as well. Glad you just got out and didn’t escalate.

If the crimes aren’t equal, though, as you say, why should the punishments be equal?

Kareem was also fired from his job and received a pretty substantial suspension when he got a new one. It’s not like he’s getting off scot free here.

He was also shaping up to be a pretty marketable young player. Any endorsement possibilities are gone now, almost certainly for good. This wasn’t exactly a slap on the wrist, at any level. Rice getting blackballed was overkill and should not be the standard imo. EVEN IF you think simple assault should be punished the same way as DV

wow, they will get a fresh leggs Kareem Hunt in the second half of the season.........NFL should start suspending players for the last games of the season instead of the first

Browns got Kareem hunt and OBJ for Baker.... ravens haven’t gotten one difference maker

Quote Originally Posted by ravensdad25 View Post
    This is sad and pathetic to me.. he should be no different than Ray rice IMO.
    Rice wasnt in the NFL after his incident because he was past his prime and slowing down. If he had been younger, he would have been on another team. Rice was on his last leg and not worth the headache
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Exactly. It's a really really slippery slope once you get into it...

What next? Holding kids accountable in the NFL for what they did in high school?
    "Billy, you cut Biology class in your Junior year at Noname High. Now, five years later, and you're likely to be a 1st round draft choice, you are facing a 4 game suspension. Don't worry, the commissioner will likey cut that to 3 games if you appeal."

... Bc