Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Lamar Jackson is not a miracle worker

I get the sense that a sizable contingent of the fan base has a fractured understanding of what goes into developing a passer. I’ve read and heard a lot of focus on Lamar Jackson putting in the work in the off-season. However, while that is very important, it is only one link in the chain.

The throws that he needs to work on the most are to the outside. I think we all expect Jackson to work very hard on his technique in the off-season. However, I don’t see how that work will be maximized if, after all of that work, come the regular season, he is thrust into an offense where he doesn’t even have one receiver he can count on to run routes along the boundary and catch the ball consistently. Let alone a WR who can bail him out from time to time.

I worry that, teams are going to squeeze the middle of the field and force Jackson to make those throws to the outside. When you combine the great deal of progress he has to make with a guy who is more likely to run a route that leaves much to be desired and questionable hands, particularly in an offense where they won’t get many in-game reps to find a groove or work out of funks, those throws are going to have to be extremely accurate. I believe Lamar can get there one day, but I don’t think that will be any day next season.

When that happens, I have to think it’s going to, not only affect Lamar’s confidence, but lead to growing frustration. For a team that asks so much of Lamar with designed runs, I worry that Lamar will get into a mode where the frustration leads to him feeling like he has to do everything himself, starts forcing passes and not playing within the scheme. That sort of ‘hero-ball’ will make things worse for the team and may lead to bad habits for Jackson going forward.

I can understand protecting him with the run at this stage in his career, but I do feel that it can reach a point where he’s protected too much and when he’s needed to do more with his arm, he won’t be as efficient as he otherwise could.

I mean, I don’t see a WR who will read the defense properly post snap for option routes. I don’t even see a WR who can be trusted to run the route itself. But Jackson’s supposed to develop as a passer like any other young QB should?

It just seems flawed. Very flawed.

Re: Lamar Jackson is not a miracle worker

One thing I’m not really worried about is Lamar’s ability to handle adversity and stay focused. Might be wrong but that’s the vibe I get from him. He puts enough pressure on himself to be great that I don’t really think he’s gonna be bothered by outside pressure

Blog Entries

If you have education in English why don’t you ever understand where to place commas in these long winded directionless posts?

Also, the offseason is not over so whatever to all of it.

Frankly, I wouldn't want any QB who's not interested in thinking he has to play "hero-ball" as you call it.

I just hope John Harbaugh let lamar play his game and let him rip it.
    Don’t want Lamar going into the game and have harbs in the back of his mind saying don’t make risky throws or something

LJ will have to be one of the best QBs in the league to succeed here unless we look radically different than we did last year offensively
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by Davesta View Post
    I just hope John Harbaugh let lamar play his game and let him rip it.
    Don’t want Lamar going into the game and have harbs in the back of his mind saying don’t make risky throws or something
    He did this with Joe though, that was the main reason for transitioning to a WCO instead of the AC that fit Joe much better
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    If you have education in English why don’t you ever understand where to place commas in these long winded directionless posts?

Also, the offseason is not over so whatever to all of it.
    Hey, he kept it to 7 short paragraphs, give him a break, lol. I was expecting a full-screen post. ;-)
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

waiting for the coles or cliff notes version

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    waiting for the coles or cliff notes version
    We haven't given Lamar adequate WRs. This could hinder his development. Lol that's the whole thing.

Was Lamar a DeCosta (ED) or was he Ozzie’s guy? I think this could be something to think about heading into the draft. Maybe if a QB ED likes to a mid round maybe he pulls the trigger and doesn’t proceed as Jackson is the future of the Ravens. DeCosta has proven that he’ll make moves that Ozzie certainly wouldn’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Was Lamar a DeCosta (ED) or was he Ozzie’s guy? I think this could be something to think about heading into the draft. Maybe if a QB ED likes to a mid round maybe he pulls the trigger and doesn’t proceed as Jackson is the future of the Ravens. DeCosta has proven that he’ll make moves that Ozzie certainly wouldn’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    no
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."