I get the sense that a sizable contingent of the fan base has a fractured understanding of what goes into developing a passer. I’ve read and heard a lot of focus on Lamar Jackson putting in the work in the off-season. However, while that is very important, it is only one link in the chain.

The throws that he needs to work on the most are to the outside. I think we all expect Jackson to work very hard on his technique in the off-season. However, I don’t see how that work will be maximized if, after all of that work, come the regular season, he is thrust into an offense where he doesn’t even have one receiver he can count on to run routes along the boundary and catch the ball consistently. Let alone a WR who can bail him out from time to time.

I worry that, teams are going to squeeze the middle of the field and force Jackson to make those throws to the outside. When you combine the great deal of progress he has to make with a guy who is more likely to run a route that leaves much to be desired and questionable hands, particularly in an offense where they won’t get many in-game reps to find a groove or work out of funks, those throws are going to have to be extremely accurate. I believe Lamar can get there one day, but I don’t think that will be any day next season.

When that happens, I have to think it’s going to, not only affect Lamar’s confidence, but lead to growing frustration. For a team that asks so much of Lamar with designed runs, I worry that Lamar will get into a mode where the frustration leads to him feeling like he has to do everything himself, starts forcing passes and not playing within the scheme. That sort of ‘hero-ball’ will make things worse for the team and may lead to bad habits for Jackson going forward.

I can understand protecting him with the run at this stage in his career, but I do feel that it can reach a point where he’s protected too much and when he’s needed to do more with his arm, he won’t be as efficient as he otherwise could.

I mean, I don’t see a WR who will read the defense properly post snap for option routes. I don’t even see a WR who can be trusted to run the route itself. But Jackson’s supposed to develop as a passer like any other young QB should?

It just seems flawed. Very flawed.