Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Ronnie Stanley's Pass Blocking

So, per PFF (which I know a lot of people hate) Ronnie Stanley led the league with the lowest pressure percentage around tackles. I just think he's really good, and doesn't get a lot of respect on this board, but he is one of the best LT's on his rookie deal, and I think top 10 in the league. I wonder: why the hate? He's the next Raven that I hope we extend before he hits free agency.

"That's not Donovan McNabb."

Re: Ronnie Stanley's Pass Blocking

I think Stanley gets hate because he isn't "mean" personality type you saw in Jensen or Yanda, etc. I've seen him described as a big teddy bear. People prefer those rah rah types

Based on Trent Brown's contract, they will need to back-up the truck for Stanley.

But, given all the flexibility they have next year and they fact they have the 5th year option to use, I'd say an extension is likely.

No doubt he's been solid. We tend to take him for granted. EDC has talked about the importance of locking young guys up before they hit free agency. He's a strong candidate for an early extension. Hoping he continues to remain healthy. I shudder at the thought of him not being there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Based on Trent Brown's contract, they will need to back-up the truck for Stanley.

But, given all the flexibility they have next year and they fact they have the 5th year option to use, I'd say an extension is likely.
    Stanley is going to end up the highest paid LT in the NFL. There is just no way around that

I think Stanley, when right, is normally a very good pass blocker. I don't think he's as good in the run game, but that's not the end of the world. Going back a bit, I kind of equate him to Richmond Webb that played for the Dolphins during the Marino era.

I agree, extend him, because in the modern NFL passing era, it's more important to have a LT that can excel at pass blocking than it is to have one who excels at run blocking. If you have one that excels at both, you have JO or another HOF-type LT.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

avg to above avg LT at times, gotta keep him and unfortunately pay him a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    So, per PFF (which I know a lot of people hate) Ronnie Stanley led the league with the lowest pressure percentage around tackles. I just think he's really good, and doesn't get a lot of respect on this board, but he is one of the best LT's on his rookie deal, and I think top 10 in the league. I wonder: why the hate? He's the next Raven that I hope we extend before he hits free agency.

One of the first times we will be in agreement on an assessment of a player on this team.

Stanley has been everything we could ask for. reliable, low penalties and efficient.

He should be the next player we lock up long term but with recent history the Ravens have let really good Oline talent go, Wagner, Jensen, KO, Grubbs etc...

Hopefully he is retained

Stanley is a solid left tackle. Better in pass protection than run game, which in Baltimore, tends to show up more (so lack of love).
    He's certainly a candidate for extending. I don't know I'd pay him top tackle in the league money, but certainly worth investigating. He'll only be more expensive if he reaches FA.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    One of the first times we will be in agreement on an assessment of a player on this team.

Stanley has been everything we could ask for. reliable, low penalties and efficient.

He should be the next player we lock up long term but with recent history the Ravens have let really good Oline talent go, Wagner, Jensen, KO, Grubbs etc...

Hopefully he is retained
    Absolutely, end thread.

He is a good tackle. Elite tackle? No. But by the time his contract is up he will want to be paid as the top tackle in the league just like what happened with mosely. Best way to secure the best deal on him is to extend him now.

We will likely overpay him even if we extend him now. But at the end if the day you used a top 10 pick on him, its hard to find a reliable starting LT, and its important have that position taken care of.

I love Stanley and want the Ravens to extend him this year. Do what Titans did with Lewan. The offense goes to absolute shit when he is not in. The Oline was a train wreck against Pitt when he did not play this year. The guy is tough and constantly plays banged up. My only concern is that he is banged up often. I think fans on this board turn against players like Stanley because they think they are a "Harbaugh" guy. They think Harbaugh only wants boy scouts. Stanley gives effort and is aggressive in his run blocking. He is not a classic mauler but he gets after it in the run game. He also plays next to rotating shit at LG which also makes running the left difficult.