Blog Entries

The comp pick game

Saw this and don't understand what I'm missing. Why would Thomas cancel out Mosley and not Z Smith?

nd
    @RavensSalaryCap
    Earl Thomas will qualify as a 3rd Rd Comp pick gained and will remove the 3rd Rd Comp pick for the loss of CJ Mosley. The Ravens are now +3 pending other signing and/or losses.

12:27 PM - Mar 13, 2019

Earl Thomas 4/55

Z Smith 4/66

Mosley 5/85

What am I missing?

Re: The comp pick game

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Saw this and don't understand what I'm missing. Why would Thomas cancel out Mosley and not Z Smith?

Earl Thomas 4/55

Z Smith 4/66

Mosley 5/85

What am I missing?
    Yeah I don't understand why he would cancel out Mosley. Why wouldn't he just cancel out Z Smith?

Even if he does cancel out Mosley, how would ET qualify for a 3rd over Z Smith?

All are worth a 3rd. When you bring a player in they cancel out the highest player from the same round. Mosley is our highest 3rd round comp.

It's more complicated than that actually. Here's an explanation from OTC ...

Each qualifying player has a value based on his contract, playing time and postseason honors, and that value corresponds to a round in the draft. In the compensatory equation, each qualifying player that a team signs cancels out a qualifying player that the team lost whose value is the highest in the same round. If there are no lost players remaining in that round, the signed player cancels out the lost player whose value is the next-highest. A signed player will cancel out a lost player whose value falls in a higher round only if there are no remaining lost players. After all of a team’s qualifying signed players have canceled out a lost player, the team can receive a comp pick for each qualifying player who remains. For example, consider a team that loses one qualifying player whose value falls in the third round and another qualifying player whose value falls in the sixth round but signs a qualifying player whose value falls in the third round. That team would receive a sixth-round comp pick because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the higher-valued player. If the signed player’s value were equal to a fourth-round pick or lower, however, the team would receive a third-round comp pick, because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the lower-valued player.
    BTW, we've got a comp pick discussion going on in this thread started by Ravens_21.

The actual comp pick rules and cutoff levels are known only by the NFL . Over the Cap and Brian McFarland's estimates of what ultimately happens are very accurate considering there is no strict formula to use.