Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Lamar is NOT a mobile QB, does not throw well on the run

Lamar is STRICTLY a pocket passer. He's inaccurate when he throws on the run, so he's not a guy you can use on rollouts etc.

I finally learned how to do GIFs! To celebrate, here's some short clips that illustrate Lamar's problems on the run.

Escapes pressure to right, tries to hit Andrews on sideline:

Rolls right, tries to throw to Thor (two views):

The rare roll left and throw:
    Nice mechanics on that one BTW – watch Lamar's right foot.

Escapes pressure, tries to hit Crab:
    Really that one is more in the pocket than anything. Is there such a thing as a "throw on the walk"?

Rolls right and tries to hit Boyle.
    That one's neat because the defender is trying to contain Lamar AND cover Boyle, and Lamar forces him to commit. Draw and dish. Kind of a basketball play

Scrambles from pressure, tosses it short to Dixon:

Of course the great QBs show "feel" in space. They're such natural throwers that they show touch and creativity even from unorthodox positions. Not Lamar:

Rolls left, tries to backhand to Thor:

As you can see, Lamar is basically useless passing on the run. He's strictly a pocket passer, and should be developed as such. Any attempt to use his mobility in the passing game, along the lines of a classic WCO passer like Steve Young, is doomed to failure.

Re: Lamar is NOT a mobile QB, does not throw well on the run

Lol, shows how people get easily influenced by hearsay, instead of checking things out on their own. Hoping he can fine tune his game, which would help with his passing %. Also, the play call lacks creativity, I see lots of big play potential, but play designs sucked. Hoping Roman sees this.

He is a mobile QB! He goes 105mph without his seatbelt

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk

selection bias my friend. Lamar is very much a pocket QB, he's far better than when he's moving. You conveniently left out that absolute duck he grounded like 3 feet infront of him rolling to his right while in one of his first games I remember.

Im sure someone can dig up stats, but Lamar is way better from the pocket, and almost any NFL level QB can throw on designed rollouts.

Typically when lamar is "scrambling" its after he's gone through whatever reads he is doing, and he isnt scrambling to wait for a big play like we've seen from Wilson, Rodgers and even big ben.

Its not a knock, it should be considered a pro. Develop his mechanics, keep him in the pocket, limit hits. Thats how QBs have long careers.
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    selection bias my friend. Lamar is very much a pocket QB, he's far better than when he's moving. You conveniently left out that absolute duck he grounded like 3 feet infront of him rolling to his right while in one of his first games I remember.

Im sure someone can dig up stats, but Lamar is way better from the pocket, and almost any NFL level QB can throw on designed rollouts.

Typically when lamar is "scrambling" its after he's gone through whatever reads he is doing, and he isnt scrambling to wait for a big play like we've seen from Wilson, Rodgers and even big ben.

Its not a knock, it should be considered a pro. Develop his mechanics, keep him in the pocket, limit hits. Thats how QBs have long careers.
    Thank You. You totally get it and the OP clearly doesn't.

Any QB in the league can look efficient at times. Any QB in the league even a Blaine Gabbert can look good at times on a designed roll out, if the WR is open and if the play works. None of that is an actual improvement on his accuracy issues.

To the OP. Why dont you put together the same amount of clips with all of his erratic and off the mark throws?? There is actually more video of that than there is of the good completed passes.

Quote Originally Posted by hdegterp View Post
    He is a mobile QB! He goes 105mph without his seatbelt

I swear we already did this

I wonder two things. a) How valid is the critique that unlike some other athletic QB's Lamar did not play baseball and this may effect his accuracy when he is not in the pocket and b) if mechanics can be more easily altered on passes when he is throwing on the run. He has a ton of muscle memory when he is in the pocket but maybe fewer established patterns for when he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I just think Lamar is strangely more of a pocket passer even though he's obviously a mobile QB. He has struggled at times on the move when throwing the ball. I think he can certainly become good at it though.
    I also think Lamar is more of a pocket passer. Honestly, his pocket presence is amazing: those small movements to avoid pressure while keeping his eyes downfield.

But he's certainly shown flashes of being able to roll and throw, extremely well. The upside is there. He's had inconsistent fundamentals on the move, but to about the same degree as in the pocket, seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    selection bias my friend. ... You conveniently left out that absolute duck he grounded like 3 feet infront of him rolling to his right while in one of his first games I remember.
    That's true. The rookie QB did throw a bad pass.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

LOL, so you find some good passes on the run and that dismisses the bad ones?

The guy dirted balls yards short of WRs who were 10-15 yards from him (not downfield, from where he was). Whether that happened on the run (it did) or when it the pocket (not as often but did) is immaterial. He threw horrid passes.

And the "has difficulty throwing on the run when he doesn't set his feet" was from the Lamar backers who were saying it could be corrected.

Maybe all of this can be corrected but tossing up selected highlights isn't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    LOL, so you find some good passes on the run and that dismisses the bad ones?

The guy dirted balls yards short of WRs who were 10-15 yards from him (not downfield, from where he was). Whether that happened on the run (it did) or when it the pocket (not as often but did) is immaterial. He threw horrid passes.

And the "has difficulty throwing on the run when he doesn't set his feet" was from the Lamar backers who were saying it could be corrected.

Maybe all of this can be corrected but tossing up selected highlights isn't going to do it.
    To be fair, at least he posted clips of what he's talking about.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB