Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Bernie Sanders raises $6 million in first 24 hours

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So back to your first point about why is the Presidential election not the popular vote. It’s the only national position we vote for

To your other points/questions:

1. When has this happened where the EC didn’t go with who was voted for?
    2. See above
    3. It wouldn’t matter to me, what’s right is right
    And ...how is the POTUS the only national position we vote for? We vote for Congress. That’s national. Or are you saying the POTUS singularly represents us all? Which I get but ...we still vote for every other position from Congress to Alderman.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Yes. Either which way is a problem for America.

Look at it this way, California has a larger population than the bottom 17 states. What's to stop politicians promising the people from the top seven or eight states stuff that'll help them at the expense of the rest of the country? Those seven or eight comprise roughly half of the U.S. population.
    What’s to say that they ( politicians) don’t do that now?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You don't just get to ignore facts because they are old.
    Not really ignoring the facts. Simply put ..the other times when the EC “elected” the POTUS where along time ago. As in not in this century. The two most recent occurrences were 16 yrs apart. That’s significant.

The "college for all" interests me a bit but that's about it. Dudes a commy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    And ...how is the POTUS the only national position we vote for? We vote for Congress. That’s national. Or are you saying the POTUS singularly represents us all? Which I get but ...we still vote for every other position from Congress to Alderman.

50 states don’t elect other states house or senate reps. The President is the only one that all the states come together to elect.

Not really ignoring the facts. Simply put ..the other times when the EC “elected” the POTUS where along time ago. As in not in this century. The two most recent occurrences were 16 yrs apart. That’s significant.

Nope, your basic claim was that the EC isn't really working as intended because only just recently the person who won the popular vote did not win the election. That is simply not fact.
    Also there were two instances that were 12 years apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    The "college for all" interests me a bit but that's about it. Dudes a commy
    thats his worst idea. free community college is doable but there is no reason to pay 4 years for someone to major liberal arts.
    i think trade schools should also be subsidized since a lot of ppl are just not fit for college but would do well with a trade degree

How do we know what or who the Electors vote for ? We don’t. It’s kinda like the “ Stay seated at all times “ on a roller coaster ...clearly someone stood up and got hurt /killed or there wouldn’t be a need to have the sign. If Electors hasn’t been bought then there wouldn’t be provisions for what happens if they are.
    I think we can all agree that in politics ...Money Talks. While George Soros doesn’t like Trump...the Koch Bros certainly do.

We have a record of how many times there were "faithless electors"

"Faithless Electors" are members of the Electoral College who, for whatever reason, do not vote for their party's designated candidate.

Since the founding of the Electoral College, there have been 167 faithless electors. 71 of these votes were changed because the original candidate died before the day on which the Electoral College cast its votes. 29 electors chose to abstain or cast an abnormal vote (for example, switch the president and vice presidential candidates) rather than vote for their party's nominee. The other 67 electoral votes represent electors casting their votes for a different candidate on their own initiative.

Sometimes electors change their votes in large groups, such as when 23 Virginia electors acted together in 1836. Many times, however, these electors stood alone in their decisions. As of the 2016 election, no elector has changed the outcome of an election by voting against his or her party’s designated candidate.

Despite these 167 faithless votes, and a Supreme Court ruling allowing states to empower political parties to require formal pledges from presidential electors (Ray v. Blair, 343 US 214), 20 states still do not require their members of the Electoral College to vote for their party's designated candidate.

The 30 states (plus the District of Columbia) that require faithfulness issue a small variety of rarely enforced punishments for faithless electors, including fines and misdemeanors, and in some cases cancel the deviant votes and replace the electors.

Here are the names, dates, and stories of the 167 faithless votes:
    2016 - Eight Democratic Electors and Two Republican Electors

Although it did not impact the outcome, the 2016 election between Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton included an abnormally high number of electors breaking with their political party and casting a deviant vote for President. The Democratic electors were David Bright (ME - Bernie Sanders), Muhammad Abdurrahman (MN - Bernie Sanders), Michael Baca (CO - John Kasich), Esther John (WA - Colin Powell), Levi Guerra (WA - Colin Powell), Bret Chiafalo (WA - Colin Powell), Robert Satiacum (WA - Faith Spotted Eagle), and David Mulinix (HI - Bernie Sanders). The two Republican electors were Chris Suprun (TX - John Kasich) and Bill Greene (TX - Ron Paul).

https://www.fairvote.org/faithless_electors.

Your argument here is bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    We have a record of how many times there were "faithless electors"

"Faithless Electors" are members of the Electoral College who, for whatever reason, do not vote for their party's designated candidate.

Since the founding of the Electoral College, there have been 167 faithless electors. 71 of these votes were changed because the original candidate died before the day on which the Electoral College cast its votes. 29 electors chose to abstain or cast an abnormal vote (for example, switch the president and vice presidential candidates) rather than vote for their party's nominee. The other 67 electoral votes represent electors casting their votes for a different candidate on their own initiative.

Sometimes electors change their votes in large groups, such as when 23 Virginia electors acted together in 1836. Many times, however, these electors stood alone in their decisions. As of the 2016 election, no elector has changed the outcome of an election by voting against his or her party’s designated candidate.

Despite these 167 faithless votes, and a Supreme Court ruling allowing states to empower political parties to require formal pledges from presidential electors (Ray v. Blair, 343 US 214), 20 states still do not require their members of the Electoral College to vote for their party's designated candidate.

The 30 states (plus the District of Columbia) that require faithfulness issue a small variety of rarely enforced punishments for faithless electors, including fines and misdemeanors, and in some cases cancel the deviant votes and replace the electors.

Here are the names, dates, and stories of the 167 faithless votes:
    2016 - Eight Democratic Electors and Two Republican Electors

Although it did not impact the outcome, the 2016 election between Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton included an abnormally high number of electors breaking with their political party and casting a deviant vote for President. The Democratic electors were David Bright (ME - Bernie Sanders), Muhammad Abdurrahman (MN - Bernie Sanders), Michael Baca (CO - John Kasich), Esther John (WA - Colin Powell), Levi Guerra (WA - Colin Powell), Bret Chiafalo (WA - Colin Powell), Robert Satiacum (WA - Faith Spotted Eagle), and David Mulinix (HI - Bernie Sanders). The two Republican electors were Chris Suprun (TX - John Kasich) and Bill Greene (TX - Ron Paul).

https://www.fairvote.org/faithless_electors.

Your argument here is bunk.
    Well ...it’s not an argument. Its an opinion. We all have them. Yours and mine don’t line up. It’s cool. I won’t lose any sleep over it.

I choose not to believe all that is written. Period. There are players at work here that most wont see or just don’t want to. That’s cool. Take things at face value. Believe what you want. For now ...it’s a free country.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    50 states don’t elect other states house or senate reps. The President is the only one that all the states come together to elect.
    Agree. That still doesn’t justify the EC for me in today’s age.

Blog Entries

Are you a fan of a popular vote? If so, why?

If you would rather a popular vote - does it have to be a majority? Or just highest percentage wins?