Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: OT: Machado signs with Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    The O's better have some crazy promotions lined up like penny ticket night or something. Donate $100 to a charity for every Chris Davis strikeout. It'll get a lot worse before it gets better, but at least they have a plan (I hope) and didn't pull some stunt like signing a washed up Sammy Sosa. It's going to be a glorified minor league team.
    We'll be bad this year, but an expected bad team playing bad is a lot more fun than an expected decent team playing terrible.

And it seems like there's a lot more cohesion in the front office now, and down to the dugout. Also it looks like the Angelos brothers are going to be more hands off than their dad. At least they're letting Elias steer the ship with both hands...

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    We'll be bad this year, but an expected bad team playing bad is a lot more fun than an expected decent team playing terrible.

And it seems like there's a lot more cohesion in the front office now, and down to the dugout. Also it looks like the Angelos brothers are going to be more hands off than their dad. At least they're letting Elias steer the ship with both hands...
    This was me reading their spring training roster
    https://youtu.be/TR-bsTkkXVY

You're right though, it seems like they're committed to the long haul trying to build something sustainable. They might be kind of fun to watch, and they certainly can't be much worse than last season when they were still 'trying' to win. If they do end up finding some keeper players though they'll really have to open the wallet though to keep it going, otherwise they're just a finish school for the teams with the deep pockets. It won't be until that point that we find out if the Angelos boys are any different than pops.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    10 years, $300 million. It's the Texas Rangers all over again. I can't see how they field a competitive team year-after-year given their overall salary constraints.
    Its not really Aroid all over again, when Aroid signed the 10 yr/$250M contract, that was by far the biggest contract per year for any baseball player. This contract is the biggest for a positional player, but there are several Pitchers who make more per season. But either way it's way more than he is worth and he will never live up to that contract. SD will be regretting this deal and hoping for an opt out by year 3!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    Because their owner is not named "Angelos"
    explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    Its not really Aroid all over again, when Aroid signed the 10 yr/$250M contract, that was by far the biggest contract per year for any baseball player. This contract is the biggest for a positional player, but there are several Pitchers who make more per season. But either way it's way more than he is worth and he will never live up to that contract. SD will be regretting this deal and hoping for an opt out by year 3!
    You're correct. The Giancarlo Stanton contract and eventual trade is a much better comparison. I suspect Machado is either on the Red Sox or Yankees before the end of the 2021 season.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I'm happy for him. Imagine getting paid 300 million dollars to live in a vacation spot for 10 years and play the game that you love? The guy is living the dream.
    And in a city where the fans base is very blase. He's not gonna get scrutinized like he would in Boston, NY or Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    He'll be a Yankee or on the Red Sox before the end of the 2021 season, IMO.
    He actually does have an opt-out at the end of 2023. If the market looks favorable, he can hit free agency again then, and he'll only be 31.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    And in a city where the fans base is very blase. He's not gonna get scrutinized like he would in Boston, NY or Philly.
    Yep, the guy has a sweet setup.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    This was me reading their spring training roster
    https://youtu.be/TR-bsTkkXVY

You're right though, it seems like they're committed to the long haul trying to build something sustainable. They might be kind of fun to watch, and they certainly can't be much worse than last season when they were still 'trying' to win. If they do end up finding some keeper players though they'll really have to open the wallet though to keep it going, otherwise they're just a finish school for the teams with the deep pockets. It won't be until that point that we find out if the Angelos boys are any different than pops.
    Manny was never going to stay with the O's, and I agree that SD will likely want to move on before the contract ends. At least the O's got something for him.

But I would rather watch a bunch of young unknowns trying to make a name for themselves than a bunch of older, established but somewhat complacent and not-really-achieving major leaguers. Every year we see new stars emerge from unknowns, especially if you have a decent front office and coaching staff - we don't know yet about that part, but I'm encouraged. I strongly suspect (or maybe I'm just projecting my hope) the new FO got some assurances, before coming on board, about being able to move on from Davis if he flails yet again. I think we will see some signs of life this season, same as old timers will recall shortly before they got good in the 60's (19, not 18) - many good moments, even when you knew they were not beating the Yankees in September.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    He actually does have an opt-out at the end of 2023. If the market looks favorable, he can hit free agency again then, and he'll only be 31.
    I doubt very much he'll still be in San Diego by the time his opt-out comes up. Assuming he's performing as expected. If he goes all Griffey Jr, then maybe he stays put as no one will really want him.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Living in Baltimore kind of makes me hate baseball. I really want to get into it, but its so hard when the odds are so stacked against smaller market teams given the lack of salary cap and everything. The Orioles could never be one of these great dynasties.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."