Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: An All Girl Boy Scout Troop?

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    Or maybe it's because the Girl Scouts program isn't skill-focused the same way that Cub/Boy scouts is? BSA is losing membership, and saw an opportunity to replace those lost members by filling what it saw as a market in search of a solution.

Admit it - the first thing you think about with Girl Scouts is selling cookies, while Boy Scouts has a much closer association with camping and hiking. Perhaps the girls who are interested in the BSA program would rather learn about those survival skills than selling another case of Thin Mints?

And I have a son in Cub Scouts (and he's about to learn safe use of a pocket knife), and a daughter in Girl Scouts (they do arts and crafts, and do day trips to nearby parks). They are not the same program - not even remotely close.
    Yeah. What a terrible, terrible thing. Actually letting girls be girls and boys be boys. How did mankind make it so far like this? Just terrible. Darn labels.

Re: An All Girl Boy Scout Troop?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Right?

Why not adopt some of the agenda of the Boy Scouts?

Nope...

Gotta tear something down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know it’s funny. My wife is very , very independent...but lemme tell you, she loves being a “kept” woman. Lol. While she enjoys fishing, hunting , even working on cars , she freely admits there are things men do that she wouldn’t try and vice versa. She thinks combining the Scouts is ridiculous.
    Her father taught her the love of the outdoors, just like I did my daughter. That’s the parents job. To pass interests on to future generations. Parents now expect other people to raise their children for them. Coaches , teachers , and now The Scouts. Nothing like “Socializing “ our children!! This is “it takes a village “ to an extreme!

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Yeah. What a terrible, terrible thing. Actually letting girls be girls and boys be boys. How did mankind make it so far like this? Just terrible. Darn labels.
    Hundred's of thousands of years, and in 2019 we are now so enlightened we can literally tell nature - You've had it wrong all this time.

4. Re: An All Girl Boy Scout Troop?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Hundred's of thousands of years, and in 2019 we are now so enlightened we can literally tell nature - You've had it wrong all this time.
    I guess we are all just lucky the liberal whiny snowflakes came along in time to set us straight. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Or, maybe each kid is an individual with their own interests and should be permitted to explore those interests in a reasonable environment?

Even with the changes, there are no mixed dens in the Cub Scouts, there is a minimum number of girls required to form a new den, and the only time a Pack with boys and girls would even be in the same place at the same time would be full Pack events (monthly meetings, usually things like Pinewood Derby, Blue and Gold dinner, etc.) Parents are required to attend camping trips for Cub Scouts in 3rd grade and younger. The 4th and 5th grade Cub Scouts can camp without their own parent, but you still have a large number of parents around.

For Boy Scouts, the troops are still single gender. There isn't a co-ed troop (same as the Cub Scouts).

For the practical concerns of co-ed groups in the high school range - yeah, of course there will be protections put in place. You think the parents of a girl in Boy Scouts has any different concerns than any other parent? Are you kidding me?

As for Girl Scouts adopting the program of Boy Scouts - yeah, not going to happen. There is no set curriculum for Girl Scouts. There is no such thing as a Webelo Cub Scout that hasn't been taught knife safety, or how to build a fire (whether or not they can actually do it reliably is a different question, but they at least have been taught.) They are two fundamentally different programs with a very different mentality.

Or, maybe each kid is an individual with their own interests and should be permitted to explore those interests in a reasonable environment?

Even with the changes, there are no mixed dens in the Cub Scouts, there is a minimum number of girls required to form a new den, and the only time a Pack with boys and girls would even be in the same place at the same time would be full Pack events (monthly meetings, usually things like Pinewood Derby, Blue and Gold dinner, etc.) Parents are required to attend camping trips for Cub Scouts in 3rd grade and younger. The 4th and 5th grade Cub Scouts can camp without their own parent, but you still have a large number of parents around.

For Boy Scouts, the troops are still single gender. There isn't a co-ed troop (same as the Cub Scouts).

For the practical concerns of co-ed groups in the high school range - yeah, of course there will be protections put in place. You think the parents of a girl in Boy Scouts has any different concerns than any other parent? Are you kidding me?

As for Girl Scouts adopting the program of Boy Scouts - yeah, not going to happen. There is no set curriculum for Girl Scouts. There is no such thing as a Webelo Cub Scout that hasn't been taught knife safety, or how to build a fire (whether or not they can actually do it reliably is a different question, but they at least have been taught.) They are two fundamentally different programs with a very different mentality.
    Not saying you’re wrong on your post ...but I’ve seen with my two eyes a mixed den /group of Cub Scouts out selling popcorn. They were all the same pack and all the same den as their Den Mother was there handling the money. In fact it was ALL moms no Dads. On a Saturday. Small den of say 10 it was 4 girls 5-6 boys. Royal Farms store outside of Ft Meade.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Not saying you’re wrong on your post ...but I’ve seen with my two eyes a mixed den /group of Cub Scouts out selling popcorn. They were all the same pack and all the same den as their Den Mother was there handling the money. In fact it was ALL moms no Dads. On a Saturday. Small den of say 10 it was 4 girls 5-6 boys. Royal Farms store outside of Ft Meade.

Pack does not equal Den. A co-ed Cub Scout Pack could have (assuming sufficient interest) as many as 12 dens - 2 each of Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelo, Arrow of Light, one of each for boys and girls. Full Pack events (like selling popcorn) would be mixed. Look closer at the uniforms - they should have different den numbers. At least, that's how it's supposed to be done.

Pack does not equal Den. A co-ed Cub Scout Pack could have (assuming sufficient interest) as many as 12 dens - 2 each of Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelo, Arrow of Light, one of each for boys and girls. Full Pack events (like selling popcorn) would be mixed. Look closer at the uniforms - they should have different den numbers. At least, that's how it's supposed to be done.
    Oh I agree. Both my sons were in Cubs /Boy Scouts. Daughter did Girl Scouts. I’m pretty sure these kids were all the same den.

disgusting

This is why my son will never be in Boy Scouts. Plenty of other options.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    This is why my son will never be in Boy Scouts. Plenty of other options.
    That makes me sad Bro. My boys really enjoyed Scouts. But I get where you’re coming from.

Thanks for your reasoned responses...I would add a couple of things:

> The US (up until this year) was one of the few countries (and the only Western county) to not admit girls into a coed scouting program. Most of the others are Middle Eastern.

> An Eagle Scout achievement pays dividends on college applications and job resumes. The Gold Award just didn't compare and girls should have the same opportunity to earn an Eagle as boys.

> The Scouts already had Venture Crews (16 years and older) that are coed and that go hiking, camping and participate in high-adventure outings.

As a parent of a Boy Scout, I don't think this is that big of a deal (and, from what I can tell, neither do many - or any - of the parents of the other 60+ boys in our Troop). Much ado about nothing, unless you are trying to push an agenda.