Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Did the Ravens try to build around Joe Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Which begs the question. Was Ozzie more interested in finding the next Ray and next Reed? The next Ngata. Also, Ozzie just went on this bad habit of drafting raw prospects early: Perriman, Correa, Elam, Arthur Brown, Kafusi, Wormley, T. Bowser, etc. Ozzie, as Preston said, lost his nerve. (Not giving up the 3rd to go up for Jalen Ramsey. Or passing on Noah Spence/Miles Jack. Passing on Shuster and Joe Mixon. Coming out of a strong WR draft with just Campanero. The list goes on).

Ozzie failed to build around Flacco by trying to rebuild the 2000 defense.
    Is Ozzie supposed to not invest in defense even though it was their strongest unit that carried them in their most successful periods?

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?
    Sorry. Missed that you stopped at round 3. Who are the 5 skill players we drafted since 2013? All i can think off is maxx willams and perriman? Unless your including hurst Andrews and jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Is Ozzie supposed to not invest in defense even though it was their strongest unit that carried them in their most successful periods?
    Im not sure anyone is saying that.

If art brown and elam worked out. We don't draft mosley or brooks, or spend big money on weddle/jefferson etc

Thats more draft capital or money for the offense which could have been used on retaining our own free agents or getting outside help on offense.

The issue was he had a couple of shocking drafts in a row and then had to double down to try and fix them.

We went mlb safety dt with our first 3 picks (not necessarily that order) two years in a row.

If the original draft worked we could have went wr rb te the following year and spread our resources.

Elam
    Brooks
    Brown
    Jernigan
    Wormley
    Kafusi
    Corerra
    Spears
    Huff
    Hill
    Dumerville

Thats just a few players that have come and gone on defense. Elvis is the only one that hsd success.

The boat is still out on the likes of williams and bowser.

A lot of wasted resources right there.

I don't think its a case of the front office ignored offense, they just fucked up their defensive plan so bad that they had to go again.

Blog Entries

What we're saying is that if you want to build through the defense first, then the last thing you need to do is pay a Quarterback twenty bloody million dollars.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

There is so much nonsense in this thread. First of all, noone should give a shit if you tried this isn't the third grade it's the NFL. The Browns spent 15 first round picks on offensive players since 1999. They tried. Who did they end up with? Joe Thomas and Mayfield over the course of two decades. Did we try harder when we drafted Clayton versus when the Steelers drafted Brown? One was drafted in the first the other the sixth.

Even if it were true and I'm not convinced of it - it's completely irrelevant. Our offense needed people who could play not high draft picks.

Two, people are choosing to ignore the massive missteps by Ozzie. Like signing Monroe. Like signing Ray Rice. Like signing Pitta. Once again it isn't just about resources it's about talent. We couldn't draft WR/TE. You can't find them in FA. Guys didn't want to come here to play with Flacco. So what are you left with? We'll the Wallaces of the world. An Steve Smith that was slowing down. Dallas Clark. Maclin. Stokely. Lee Evans.

People bemoan the fact we have directed a bunch of dollars towards defense but the reality is other then the Oline which is a legit criticism we haven't had an Antonio Brown to extend. An OBJ. You have to find those guys in the draft. Whether that be in the first round like an OBJ or the sixth round like Brown. Most of us bemoan not keeping Boldin and Boldin was really a number 2.

So yeah I have always been critical of Flacco because I think even with all that being said individually he didn't play well but you can't make the argument that we built an offense around him (who cares if we tried) because we didn't. It's just a fact. I mean just looking back as early as 2017 most of us were encouraged that we signed Maclin and Wallace. Where were they a year later? Wallace signed a one year 1 million deal and barely played. Maclin is pretty much defacto retired.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Im not sure anyone is saying that.

If art brown and elam worked out. We don't draft mosley or brooks, or spend big money on weddle/jefferson etc

Thats more draft capital or money for the offense which could have been used on retaining our own free agents or getting outside help on offense.

The issue was he had a couple of shocking drafts in a row and then had to double down to try and fix them.

We went mlb safety dt with our first 3 picks (not necessarily that order) two years in a row.

If the original draft worked we could have went wr rb te the following year and spread our resources.

Elam
    Brooks
    Brown
    Jernigan
    Wormley
    Kafusi
    Corerra
    Spears
    Huff
    Hill
    Dumerville

Thats just a few players that have come and gone on defense. Elvis is the only one that hsd success.

The boat is still out on the likes of williams and bowser.

A lot of wasted resources right there.

I don't think its a case of the front office ignored offense, they just fucked up their defensive plan so bad that they had to go again.
    I agree with this. Hitting on some of the defense players that they failed on would have allowed them more room to get free agents, and take more chances in the draft.