Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Slightly OT: Why did the Ravens abandon the air coryell system?

Any changes in the playbook and how its executed are predicated by the Ravens changes in offensive coordinators and coaching staff.

Harbaugh doesn't know offense and he doesn't have his own system so the "system" is based on whatever a new coach brings to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Why invest in Joe then trade his #1 target?
    John Harbaugh, but it's water under the bridge now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The thing that always bothered me was that they ran the AC with guys like Mason and Boldin, then converted over to the WCO based type of stuff while signing and drafting guys like Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman. Still makes no sense to me. Such a waste of the last five years with all this bullshit.
    So true.

I think it was almost like them waving the white flag on trying to find WRs that could really run the AC system. Hope EDC has better success, but I think he is more likely to part of that problem.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    Because Harbaugh and the rest of the Ravens absolutely love to try to fit square pegs into circle holes.
    That and no body could catch a cold.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

There is no distinction between "west coast", AC, E-P. All offenses use the same ideas from different ideologies. The players on offense changed which means the way they played changed.

Far from being off topic, we are entering a new era of Ravens football with Jackson at the helm and it's good to look back and scratch our heads and wonder how we got here. Perfect offseason conversation. And despite how this team's FO loves to talk about continuity, the simple question of why we abandoned the super bowl winning offensive scheme highlights all the ways this franchise has screwed up since. Many reasons have already been mentioned: we traded Boldin over 500k, AC didn't work in 2013, Caldwell left, Kubiak brought a new philosophy which worked and we never looked back, Trestman tried to be Kubiak not Caldwell, it's hard to draft for scheme when you've got 4 OCs in 4 years, we also lost Pitta and Rice.

But I think the 2 biggest factors in offensive decline in general are how we hired the offensive coordinators and missing in the draft on offense.

I don't think in hiring new OCs or promoting them, they ever considered offensive philosophy and how it would work with player personnel, particularly Flacco. It took years to fire Cam Cameron, then it was next guy up, Jim Caldwell, whether it was the right fit or not. After that it was Kubiak, and were got lucky with that one, but i don't think he was hired because they felt it was the right fit. Trestman was an awful fit as it reverted to a traditional WCO instead of kubiak's modified version. Was mornhinweg hired because of his X's and O's or just because he's some dude we knew that's carried a clipboard? Roman might actually be the right guy for Jackson but I don't think enough emphasis was made on finding the right OC or scheme for Flacco. I think scheme is a foreign language to Harbaugh and he'd rather hire the 'guy' not the talent.

And secondly, Torrey, Pitta, Rice and Boldin were all gone shortly after with no depth to replace then. Maxx and Boyle never filled Pittas shoes. Perriman never became Torrey. Forsett was good with Kubiak, but not after. SSR was probably the best WR this team has had, and better than Boldin, but just another bandaid. Pitta, Torrey and Rice were drafted by this team. By 2015 our offense was based on nothing but free agents and has been ever since.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I never thought that Kubiak system was a true WCO. He tweaked it an awful lot to push the ball down field.
    I disagree completely. The tying of the QBs footwork to the pass routes etc is exactly the same. I think the biggest change for the QB is the necessity of all the bootlegs as "constraint plays" because of the commitment to the zone stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by redbarron View Post
    Meaning is it possible to have ACO, WCO, Spread, Run-heavy concepts meshed into one offense?
    Most NFL offenses are like that. Concepts from every successful scheme, smashed together into the playbook.

The Pats do it extremely well.

I think Kubiak brought his WCO philosophy, but looked at the strengths of the team and adapted where he needed.
    I really disagree, I think Kubiak ran the exact same stuff he'd always been running. He changed Joe & the O-line, he didn't change the system.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    all of those rollouts were designed for one reason, throwing the deep ball.
    The rollouts and boots and waggles ARE highlighted in the Kubiak-Shanahan system for one reason: but not the reason you state. Instead they're to keep the defense honest when playing all the zone stretch runs.

I'm pretty sure 2014 was Joe's highest yards per attempt.
    No.