Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Slightly OT: Why did the Ravens abandon the air coryell system?

This might be slightly off topic, but I was looking back on the flacco years and was wondering why the ravens abandoned the air coryell system? It was cams playbook that won us a superbowl, wouldn't the better idea have been to find a better play caller than cam in that style? Was their one?

Blog Entries

Re: Slightly OT: Why did the Ravens abandon the air coryell system?

I think because they did the AC with Caldwell to spectacularly disastrous results in 2013 (many of which were probably not related to the offense itself, but instead having no receivers, no TEs, fat Ray Rice, and a horrific OL), then Kubiak came in with the WCO he runs and everyone saw the success we had with that, and they kept chasing that success the rest of the time Flacco was here.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think because they did the AC with Caldwell to spectacularly disastrous results in 2013 (many of which were probably not related to the offense itself, but instead having no receivers, no TEs, fat Ray Rice, and a horrific OL), then Kubiak came in with the WCO he runs and everyone saw the success we had with that, and they kept chasing that success the rest of the time Flacco was here.
    I never thought that Kubiak system was a true WCO. He tweaked it an awful lot to push the ball down field.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I never thought that Kubiak system was a true WCO. He tweaked it an awful lot to push the ball down field.
    Probably true, I don't know as much of the X's and O's stuff as some of you guys. Definitely seemed to more rooted in that kind of offense than what we were running before him though.

The thing that always bothered me was that they ran the AC with guys like Mason and Boldin, then converted over to the WCO based type of stuff while signing and drafting guys like Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman. Still makes no sense to me. Such a waste of the last five years with all this bullshit.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

So in my experience with football, I only played it for one year in peewee ball; so my x's and o's knowledge is lacking to say the least. So my question is that if its possible to have an offense with multiple philosophies tied to it. Meaning is it possible to have ACO, WCO, Spread, Run-heavy concepts meshed into one offense?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_NY View Post
    This might be slightly off topic, but I was looking back on the flacco years and was wondering why the ravens abandoned the air coryell system? It was cams playbook that won us a superbowl, wouldn't the better idea have been to find a better play caller than cam in that style? Was their one?
    That system only worked when you have legit threats in Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin and a line to block. Besides, whatever system Kubiak brought here was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Probably true, I don't know as much of the X's and O's stuff as some of you guys. Definitely seemed to more rooted in that kind of offense than what we were running before him though.

The thing that always bothered me was that they ran the AC with guys like Mason and Boldin, then converted over to the WCO based type of stuff while signing and drafting guys like Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman. Still makes no sense to me. Such a waste of the last five years with all this bullshit.
    WCO is a philosophy. What I think people confuse is that it stipulates a certain set of plays. The idea is that you use shorter horizontal routes to stretch out the field (the amount of over the middle stuff can call for zone). This sets up the run better.

Their draft and coaching vision have never been aligned on offense though, I agree. There's a reason when Cam in 2012 kicked Boldin into a slot it worked better. Jacoby and Torrey stretched the field and Pitta and Boldin had room to work.

It'll be interesting to see what iOL guys they bring in with the power gap / zone scheme. They need diverse guys who can pull, but not necessarily athletic outside zone guys.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    That system only worked when you have legit threats in Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin and a line to block. Besides, whatever system Kubiak brought here was better.
    I think Kubiak brought his WCO philosophy, but looked at the strengths of the team and adapted where he needed. Trestman and Cam did not do that.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Question Re: Slightly OT: Why did the Ravens abandon the air coryell system?

Has anyone mentioned that we foolishly tried to cut Boldin's $alary (in 2013) allowing him to leave for greener pastures? He was, aside from Pitta, Flacco's go-to guy who had four more productive years in S.F. and Detroit... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that we foolishly tried to cut Boldin's $alary (in 2013) allowing him to leave for greener pastures? He was, aside from Pitta, Flacco's go-to guy who had four more productive years in S.F. and Detroit... Bc
    Ozzie's 2nd worse move as GM (#1 being Boller). Why invest in Joe then trade his #1 target?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    all of those rollouts were designed for one reason, throwing the deep ball. kubiaks system is one of the best blends of elements out there, imo. I really wish we could have kept him on board for awhile longer. i think things would have went completely different over those next 4 years.

whats his offense gain us? a game, maybe 2? how many seasons was that the difference in playoffs or not? one can only imagine sadly.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    all of those rollouts were designed for one reason, throwing the deep ball. kubiaks system is one of the best blends of elements out there, imo. I really wish we could have kept him on board for awhile longer. i think things would have went completely different over those next 4 years.

whats his offense gain us? a game, maybe 2? how many seasons was that the difference in playoffs or not? one can only imagine sadly.
    I'm pretty sure 2014 was Joe's highest yards per attempt. Which is ironic going from an AC to WCO.

You see this with NE's system. The EP system tries to use simple route combos to get guys out in space. That's why you see so many short passes to White and Edelman.

That opens up the deeper stuff when you would see their outside WR's and Gronk expose the sidelines and seams.

I personally think we get too bogged down in what the purpose of the system is.
    - Ray Lewis