Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Re: Something I’ve never understood

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I completely agree.

I’ve often advocated that many minorities in America should strongly consider voting Libertarian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you study our community, especially before the Civil Rights Era, it was a model of self reliance. Black people owned more businesses before the 1960's than we do now. Because we got convinced that getting a college degree and working for someone else was better than owning a neighborhood grocery store. I have nothing against college, mind you. I have a degree myself. But if I had to do it all over again, I would have pursued a trade (carpentry, plumbing, auto mechanic, etc) and opened my own business. THAT's how you decrease unemployment in your own community instead of begging people to hire you.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Why do you do this?

I've noticed you don't post anything that can be debated. Just a lot "This", " " , "I agree".

Why does no one back up their view?
    Some people just aren't worth the synapses, NC. That's the God's honest truth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    So you can't. Welcome to the Republican party.
    Ironically, if someone held a gun to my head and made me choose between the two, I would probably choose Republican. But only on the local level. National politics have gotten so polluted it's hard to tell the difference anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Ironically, if someone held a gun to my head and made me choose between the two, I would probably choose Republican. But only on the local level. National politics have gotten so polluted it's hard to tell the difference anymore.
    Amen. DC as a Whole is a cess pool. It’s the worlds largest toilet and it need to be flushed.
    Locally we have a shot. We can still influence our politics. We can actually hold our local politicians accountable and make a change.

“You gonna do something .....or just stand there and bleed” Wyatt Earp

If you study our community, especially before the Civil Rights Era, it was a model of self reliance. Black people owned more businesses before the 1960's than we do now. Because we got convinced that getting a college degree and working for someone else was better than owning a neighborhood grocery store. I have nothing against college, mind you. I have a degree myself. But if I had to do it all over again, I would have pursued a trade (carpentry, plumbing, auto mechanic, etc) and opened my own business. THAT's how you decrease unemployment in your own community instead of begging people to hire you.
    That’s what used to make America Great! In your community there were stores ,shops , services that everyone used. Period. Needed a plumber ..call Bill. Need your car worked on ..drop it off at Joe’s Shell or Crown station. Bakeries , groc stores ( like Mars , Santonis , Klein’s ) all community places that EVERYONE used. Your parents prob knew the owners. And you got good work for an honest price. That is what We’ve lost.
    And I’m not talking about Mayberry , RFD. I’m talking about Randallstown, Dundalk, Essex, Arbutus , Glen Burnie. Even City neighborhoods like Hamden all had this lifestyle. And no I’m not a Golden Years guy like my buddy BC! I’m only 46. And I remember this.

You're not wrong about that. Thankfully we're mostly Republican down here (the hands off, leave businesses alone unless they're actively screwing people Republicans) except around the Birmingham area.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I recently listened to a Joe Rogan podcast where he had Killer Mike on as his guest. I don’t agree with everything KM says, but he has some good things to discuss.

What you’re saying here echoes a lot of what KM was eluding to in his discussion with Joe. One thing in particular he said that disappoints him about Black athletes, musicians, and movie stars is that when they “make it” they rarely re-invest in the communities where they grew up. He has several businesses, including a successful barbershop franchise in Atlanta, that he has strategically placed in or near communities where he grew up for two reasons. The first is to provide jobs. The second, however, was to instill pride in the community that Black Americans can be successful business owners and that they were worth the investment.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    That’s what used to make America Great! In your community there were stores ,shops , services that everyone used. Period. Needed a plumber ..call Bill. Need your car worked on ..drop it off at Joe’s Shell or Crown station. Bakeries , groc stores ( like Mars , Santonis , Klein’s ) all community places that EVERYONE used. Your parents prob knew the owners. And you got good work for an honest price. That is what We’ve lost.
    And I’m not talking about Mayberry , RFD. I’m talking about Randallstown, Dundalk, Essex, Arbutus , Glen Burnie. Even City neighborhoods like Hamden all had this lifestyle. And no I’m not a Golden Years guy like my buddy BC! I’m only 46. And I remember this.

I grew up on the west side of Baltimore (Lexington and Smallwood). All of the shops were owned by people who lived in the neighborhood. Not only that, there doctors, accountants and teachers who lived in the neighborhood as well. Things were a lot better then (late '60's to mid '70's). We moved away in '76. Came back a few years later and didnt recognize the place. It changed so quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I recently listened to a Joe Rogan podcast where he had Killer Mike on as his guest. I don’t agree with everything KM says, but he has some good things to discuss.

What you’re saying here echoes a lot of what KM was eluding to in his discussion with Joe. One thing in particular he said that disappoints him about Black athletes, musicians, and movie stars is that when they “make it” they rarely re-invest in the communities where they grew up. He has several businesses, including a successful barbershop franchise in Atlanta, that he has strategically placed in or near communities where he grew up for two reasons. The first is to provide jobs. The second, however, was to instill pride in the community that Black Americans can be successful business owners and that they were worth the investment.

Ive never seen it. Im going to check it out though. I would never tell someone else what to do with their money, but it is puzzling. The only thing I can surmise is that athletes and entertainers are steered towards investments that's going to make them the most money and they don't feel that doing what Killer Mike did is going to be profitable enough.