Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2 designed running plays for the QB’s ... Why?

In yesterday’s game there was a designed running play for each QB...Lamar and RG3....
    my question is why? ... I mean we were up and no way we would lose at this point and the game certainly wasn’t on the line where we needed trickery or anything like this to win... so why would you put your QB’s at risk especially RG3 who really doesn’t need this at all since he was already injured in running plays.... in fact, I was hoping he would get more reps at passing rather then him running or handing off just to sharpen his passing game should it come to that.... all in all these were the only 2 plays that I thought should never have been called...

Also, while on a subject of trickery why would we use a play where the ball was hiked directly to Levine ..I mean shouldn’t something like that be saved for a future game where it may really be needed...

Re: 2 designed running plays for the QB’s ... Why?

Maybe because they are setting up something else out of the same formation that they want the DCs of our future opponents to see?

The direct snap to Levine - every coach will have to consider that on every play from here on out. That's going to limit return yards on punts for the next few weeks because ST coordinators will be thinking about it and not immediately send guys headed towards the return man to set up running lanes.

I don't care what they call with RGIII in with garbage time starting at the end of the 3rd quarter. Don't get killed (he slid with 3 yards between him and the nearest defender), and all will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Maybe because they are setting up something else out of the same formation that they want the DCs of our future opponents to see?
    See: fake punt.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    In yesterday’s game there was a designed running play for each QB...Lamar and RG3....
    my question is why? ... I mean we were up and no way we would lose at this point and the game certainly wasn’t on the line where we needed trickery or anything like this to win... so why would you put your QB’s at risk especially RG3 who really doesn’t need this at all since he was already injured in running plays.... in fact, I was hoping he would get more reps at passing rather then him running or handing off just to sharpen his passing game should it come to that.... all in all these were the only 2 plays that I thought should never have been called...

Also, while on a subject of trickery why would we use a play where the ball was hiked directly to Levine ..I mean shouldn’t something like that be saved for a future game where it may really be needed...
    Walk me through how Foles got hurt. Or Mahomes or Mayfield. Any of those got hurt on a designed running play?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    my question is why?
    Do you want defenses to continue to respect the QB run threat in the run game?

Also, i'm fairly certain they call potential QB runs against fronts/situations where they don't expect the defense to account for the QB which should afford the QB a clear opportunity to get down.

After seeing how well LJ passed the ball, I don't care for designed runs unless it is to provide a spark in situations where the offense has gone cold

I'm actually going to agree with OP on the designed QB runs. They spent the offseason talking about running the ball then caught Miami off guard with Lamar throwing, and throwing deep. There was no reason to make future reams respect the QB run in this way. They could have avoided it completely and let teams think he wouldn't run, then catch them off guard with the run.

Now the fake punt I do understand. Harbaugh has called those in a few season openers to get it on an opponents radar only to never call it again in that same regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Yes. These plays were "purpose pitches" to set up other plays later.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Do you want defenses to continue to respect the QB run threat in the run game?

Also, i'm fairly certain they call potential QB runs against fronts/situations where they don't expect the defense to account for the QB which should afford the QB a clear opportunity to get down.
    While I get what you’re saying ...I think you and the OP arnt on the same page. You’re speaking of Season long he’s saying yesterday specifically with the game obviously in hand. Why risk the QB ( either one) on a designed QB run when it really serves no purpose?

It’s game 1 , week 1 ...no other team we play is gonna suddenly stop planning for Lamar to run with the ball. Why chance a fluke injury with a run? Same with RG3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    After seeing how well LJ passed the ball, I don't care for designed runs unless it is to provide a spark in situations where the offense has gone cold
    Yeah but he gets that time based on the the runs, it sets it up and they put more film out there for opposing DCs to worry about and spend time in. GKB nailed it.

are The QB’s categorically more likely to get hurt from a single or few designed runs, especially as suggested, RG3 slid with yards to spare, where is the risk? Anymore than standing strong in the pocket knowing you are about to get driven into your clavicle?