Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bible literacy

Re: Bible literacy

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Again ....I don’t give two rats asses about some class that features a work of fiction from 2019 yrs ago. I’m simply playing Devils Advocate because most that post here are Heavily Right Leaning. And that’s cool. It that doesn’t promote discussion or learning.

As far as “giving in to Tyranny” ......that actually made me laugh out loud! Check with the other guys here like NC , Rav or even GWNR that post here a lot of you wanna doubt or check my views. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We will have to start calling you Benito Laxdad24

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

At times when I choose to engage you guys as Devils Advocate ....it makes my damn head hurt! I’m not nearly as Conservative as you and NC ...and that’s cool with me. But I don’t get how the absolute Left makes it through a day. Lol.

It's because you live in Maryland obviously. Whole different breed of conservative in the deep south.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    It's because you live in Maryland obviously. Whole different breed of conservative in the deep south.

Yes there is Brother. That’s where the religious/Christian ties come to play heavily. The Bible Belt is still very strong in today’s politics. And that’s cool. I really enjoy engaging with the guys that are from /live there and feel that way.

We will have to start calling you Benito Laxdad24

Damn Ort! Now I gotta be Italian?! What the hell Piasan?! Lmao.

Think my high school did have a world religion elective that went into all the major ones come to think of it.

I actually had that in Middle School here. We learned about Islam, Hindu and Buddhism. Maybe Shinto? Or whatever most of Japan is/was.

Blog Entries

The Bible in and of itself is one of history’s great literary works given it’s age and place in history. Just historically speaking, the Bible was arguably the first book that was made available to the general public as most literature was predominantly for the wealthy elite that could read Latin.

I don’t see an issue with using the Bible in the same manner that Shakespeare or Homer is used. Where I could see a problem is if the teacher used it as a position to take a literature class and turn it into a religion class.

From a literature and theological perspective, it would be interesting to have a class that compared the Bible, Torah, and Quran.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I actually had that in Middle School here. We learned about Islam, Hindu and Buddhism. Maybe Shinto? Or whatever most of Japan is/was.

I think we got some of those in social studies in middle school up in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Bible in and of itself is one of history’s great literary works given it’s age and place in history. Just historically speaking, the Bible was arguably the first book that was made available to the general public as most literature was predominantly for the wealthy elite that could read Latin.

I don’t see an issue with using the Bible in the same manner that Shakespeare or Homer is used. Where I could see a problem is if the teacher used it as a position to take a literature class and turn it into a religion class.

From a literature and theological perspective, it would be interesting to have a class that compared the Bible, Torah, and Quran.

That would be super interesting.

I cant see it happening though. People get too defensive in the religious space.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Baruch HaShem for yeshiva.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

I cant see it happening though. People get too defensive in the religious space.
    Exactly. This is one of the reasons why many believe that the founders of the USA opted for separation of Church and State. It wasn’t because they were ashamed of their Christian ideology, but in coming from Europe where you were forced to be a particular sect of Christianity, they realized that everyone interpreted the Bible differently and that was ok. However, I think they also realized that religion was personal and therefor potentially volatile if mishandled in a state sponsored fashion.

That said, I think it is important to note that public schools dropping religion or Bible studies from standard curriculum wasn’t all that long ago - 1962.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons why many believe that the founders of the USA opted for separation of Church and State. It wasn’t because they were ashamed of their Christian ideology, but in coming from Europe where you were forced to be a particular sect of Christianity, they realized that everyone interpreted the Bible differently and that was ok. However, I think they also realized that religion was personal and therefor potentially volatile if mishandled in a state sponsored fashion.

That said, I think it is important to note that public schools dropping religion or Bible studies from standard curriculum wasn’t all that long ago - 1962.

I agree.

Interpretation is the key. Some take it literally (on the extreme, Westboro Baptist Church takes it word for word as instructions). Some mine the deeper meaning of its teachings to shape how they live their life.

I'm not a very religious guy, but I do enjoy studying it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB