Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 192021

Thread: Bible literacy

Blog Entries

Re: Bible literacy

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    It’s not that I’m not open to it. I actually read/view the stuff you post here. Or Rav. I even ordered the book that Darb or Blah recommended. I’m all for exploring new things. I do have a pretty hard stance on how I think things will go , but I will entertain new ideas.
    I hear ya. When I posted there are answers to your questions. I meant scientific answers. There are plenty of scientific answers to things the Bible says.

A peek behind the curtain. I actually used to be fairly religious. Church goer. Tried to do things the right way. And then the church / religion lost me with all the anti-gay , Pro-life , politics shit.
    You find that stuff outside of church/religion. That's a problem with people in general. I heard a guy say once "This guy told me he couldn't go to church, too many hypocrites.. I said, come one down, pal - we've got room for one more"

I’m just not buying organized religion being sold to me by a snake oil salesman. The Joel Ostend s of the world really soured me. And the wife and I used to really look forward to watching him. The wife and mom-in-law went and seen him. To use an old world term ..he’s a Charlatan. Much like Jim and Tammy. The PTL Club.
    Yeah, that's called the "Prosperity Gospel" and is really out of step with Christianity.

yo Lax, open your mind

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    yo Lax, open your mind
    Oh Baldy…. I know you're trolling as usual and won't answer any questions, but I'll give it a shot.

How do you explain the creation of the universe from nothing. And when I say nothing, I mean not even empty space.
    How do you explain that the universe is perfectly designed for life, on this planet.
    How do you explain organic life on this planet coming from non-organic material?

To believe that there is nothing behind all that... well I don't have enough faith to believe that. Do you?

My mind cant comprehend the idea taking only parts of the bible literally and other parts as a guide or teaching tool. It is not consistent, and is not consistent with what would be presented in other situations.

is genesis to be taken literal or not?

Which bible would you make as the "bedrock" of education? How do you reconcile the bible as infallable when there are multiple versions.

how do you reconcile the complete difference in tone between the old testament and the new testament?

how do you react to more obscure sects of Christianity such as JW and Mormons

theres too much variability to teach in a high school setting

edit for what its worth I was raised catholic, I just view the bible in general as a teaching tool for the story of jesus, I've pretty much thrown everything out except for the new testament, and I honestly dont believe Revelations belongs at all, its completely out of character with the rest of the new testament and its inclusion is widely debated
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

You find that stuff outside of church/religion. That's a problem with people in general. I heard a guy say once "This guy told me he couldn't go to church, too many hypocrites.. I said, come one down, pal - we've got room for one more"

Yeah, that's called the "Prosperity Gospel" and is really out of step with Christianity.

This is what pushes people away. People get so lost in whatever idea they hold they neglect the golden rule or love thy neighbor. They condemn and judge and its completely out of character with the teachings of jesus. Prosperity gospel is beyond out of step, its the complete opposite of literally everything that Christianity is meant to teach
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    My mind cant comprehend the idea taking only parts of the bible literally and other parts as a guide or teaching tool. It is not consistent, and is not consistent with what would be presented in other situations.
    Maybe you need a bible literacy course to teach you these skills.

My answer is no, but that's not what the point of the course would be.
    Of course you would need to understand that Genesis is not meant to be an explanation of everything.

Which bible would you make as the "bedrock" of education? How do you reconcile the bible as infallable when there are multiple versions.
    Again this is a literary course. No one is talking about infallibility. It's like saying we can't teach Shakespeare because some people believe he didn't actually write the plays he is credited with.

how do you reconcile the complete difference in tone between the old testament and the new testament?
    Jesus

You don't, it's not a religion class.

theres too much variability to teach in a high school setting

edit for what its worth I was raised catholic, I just view the bible in general as a teaching tool for the story of jesus, I've pretty much thrown everything out except for the new testament, and I honestly dont believe Revelations belongs at all, its completely out of character with the rest of the new testament and its inclusion is widely debated
    Way to have high standards for education.

Blog Entries

I think some of it is, Genesis 1 for example. Genesis 2 I lean more towards it's an allegory.

I think the key to the Bible literacy class would be understanding the difference between what is being DEscribed and what is being PREscribed

"Beware of false prophets"

Without the old testament there would be nothing to predict the coming of Jesus. I found this interview interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Oh Baldy…. I know you're trolling as usual and won't answer any questions, but I'll give it a shot.

How do you explain the creation of the universe from nothing. And when I say nothing, I mean not even empty space.
    How do you explain that the universe is perfectly designed for life, on this planet.
    How do you explain organic life on this planet coming from non-organic material?

To believe that there is nothing behind all that... well I don't have enough faith to believe that. Do you?
    I don't think you have to believe in the bible, or any organized religion, to believe in a "Great Architect" though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I don't think you have to believe in the bible, or any organized religion, to believe in a "Great Architect" though.
    No sir, you do not. My points to Lax (which Baldy was commenting about) were about how science does confirm parts of the bible.