Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: One thing to learn about Gov't Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Almost the exact same situation Obama faced in 2010. He waited until after the midterms to try to pass the ACA when he could have done it while the Dems controlled Congress.

Just goes to prove the point made by the OP. Bloated, wasteful. They don't really want to get anything done. Playing the blame game is shortsighted.
    You're exactly right.

Politicians don't care about Americans. They care about getting re-elected. If they cared about Americans, why are they still collecting their 6-figure salaries while the government is "shut down".

I know she's a bit looney toons, but kudos to Ocasio-Cortez for saying that Congress shouldn't get paid either during the shut down.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Comparing American sovereignty to socialized medicine doesnt make any sense. I think I get the point ur trying to make though. Bad example.

Politicians don’t want to actually do what they do in the private sector. In the legitimate business world...results matter.

The head of these politicians (POTUS) is pushing for a tangible result which will help secure legalized immigration processes which will in turn help you and me and everyone else who pays taxes. If this issue is solved...these politicians won’t have a promise to NOT keep while running for office.
    I don't think it's a bad example. The ACA was a huge part of Obama's agenda and he could have gotten it done in Congress within the first two years of his Presidency. He waited and then did some shady backdoor stuff to get it passed through as a "tax".

It's the same thing - Trump had a majority in the House and Senate his first two years of his Presidency and he chose to sit on boarder security/immigration.

One thing to learn about Gov't Shutdown

It’s my understanding that financial agreements such as this require 2/3rds approval. The senate majority the past 2 years wasn’t large enough and always required some democrat approval.

Edit: If I’m remembering correctly, any sort of spending requires 2/3rds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BmoreBirds; 01-20-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBirds View Post
    It’s my understanding that financial agreements such as this require 2/3rds approval. The senate majority the past 2 years wasn’t large enough and always required some democrat approval.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think it's a bad example. The ACA was a huge part of Obama's agenda and he could have gotten it done in Congress within the first two years of his Presidency. He waited and then did some shady backdoor stuff to get it passed through as a "tax".

It's the same thing - Trump had a majority in the House and Senate his first two years of his Presidency and he chose to sit on boarder security/immigration.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Trump had a majority in both the house and the Senate for two years. Why wasn't the wall built then? Blaming Democrats for this is deflecting.
    Honestly most Republicans don't want a wall either. It's probably more accurate to say Congress is the problem. It certainly still wouldn't have gotten passed as filibuster.

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBirds View Post

Actually they could have passed a spending bill by a 51 vote majority by Reconciliation. But, nope they didn't go that route, well because it gives cover to Republicans by saying we can't get over the fillibuster problem. Thank Mitch McConnell.

Has anyone actually figured out what the wall is going to cost?

One thing I'd love to see governments worldwide do is start to make some of the analysis that public servants are doing public.

Like obvioulsy there's a team putting together all of the economic analysis both of the burden of illegal immigration and costing out the price fo the wall.

I'd just be really curious to see what the estimated ROI is.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Honestly most Republicans don't want a wall either. It's probably more accurate to say Congress is the problem. It certainly still wouldn't have gotten passed as filibuster.

Actually they could have passed a spending bill by a 51 vote majority by Reconciliation. But, nope they didn't go that route, well because it gives cover to Republicans by saying we can't get over the fillibuster problem. Thank Mitch McConnell.
    Good points.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Has anyone actually figured out what the wall is going to cost?

One thing I'd love to see governments worldwide do is start to make some of the analysis that public servants are doing public.

Like obvioulsy there's a team putting together all of the economic analysis both of the burden of illegal immigration and costing out the price fo the wall.

I'd just be really curious to see what the estimated ROI is.
    I read total estimates for a wall across the entire southern border was 10's of billions of dollars.

What Trump is asking for is $$$ to pay for construction of barriers in strategic locations along the southern border, fixing existing barriers, hiring more BP agents, and improving surveillance technology along the border (ie, drones, vehicles, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I read total estimates for a wall across the entire southern border was 10's of billions of dollars.

What Trump is asking for is $$$ to pay for construction of barriers in strategic locations along the southern border, fixing existing barriers, hiring more BP agents, and improving surveillance technology along the border (ie, drones, vehicles, etc).
    I feel like the message has gotten lost in the noise.

All things fixed if some of these documents are public facing.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I feel like the message has gotten lost in the noise.

All things fixed if some of these documents are public facing.
    Thing is this isn’t even what Trump wants...it’s what DHS is asking for...

12. Re: One thing to learn about Gov't Shutdown

While it seems that all people want to know is, what it will cost. The cost of things staying the same reaches in the hundreds of billions of dollars. Who is asking that question? Talk about something getting lost. Wonder why that "news" is not out there, being talked about openly and being a part of the discussion?