Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Whatever happened to Torrey Smith?

Another ex-Terp and ex_Raven that I lost track of a bit is Dominique Foxworth.

Recall that before injuries (and concerns about brain injury) forced his retirement, he was President of the NFLPA and played a role in avoiding the lockout in 2011 (I'm seeing predictions it won't be avoided in 2021); he then got a Harvard MBA and landed as COO of the NBPA..but resigned that after a year because the new Executive Director Michele Roberts burned out everyone around her. I know he's now a regular commentator on ESPN radio, but I don't listen to ESPN radio, and he writes for some pub, the name of which escapes me. Interesting dude. His wife is a Harvard Law Grad. Not bad for a kid who grew up playing for the Randellstown Rams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I mean if you look past 2013, he was still better than he is now. His worst season in Baltimore was statistically better than his best season anywhere else.
    I just don't like Torrey, to be completely honest. So I'm probably overly critical. The non-effort on the game ending INT @NE in 2014 soured me entirely on him. Never been a supporter of his since and never will be.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I was a lot younger when Torrey Smith played for Baltimore but I remember him having quite a few big games for us when he was here. He looked like a legitimate #2 WR. In 2013, he had an 1,100 yard sesaon. I just remember him being so good. Then he went to some other teams and never really made an impact. Recently in Carolina and Philadelphia, Smith has been in the mix as a WR3, he's only had 1 season above 500 receiving yards since leaving Baltimore. In fact, he hasn't had 1 season on another team as good as his worst season in Baltimore if you look at catches, yards, and TDs. For an orgainization that has such a poor track record of finding and developing receivers, it seems we got the absolute most out of Torrey Smith. What happened to this guy? Why has he been so much less effective in other uniforms?
    He was unable to get separation because his only move was too run straight. Towards the end of his tenure here you could tell he no longer trusted his ability to catch down the field as he would start flailing his arms looking for his a PI well before the ball got there.

One of the saddest facts in the Franchise history is Torrey Smith is the only ravens drafted WR to clip 1000 yards while playing here
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Torrey Smith needs to call up Ted Ginn and ask for advice
    learn to run routes? and not look for a flag every play
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That's because the Baltimore offensive scheming is top-notch, among the best in the NFL.

Right?
    Jim...there is no scheme in "Torrey run the only route you know"
    Burn it down

Torrey is one of those players who never really cared all that much about the NFL or improving his game. He had one elite skill and used it to get paid.

Seriously go to his twitter timeline if you want to see where his priorities are these days. it isn't football.

Blog Entries

TS could rarely track down the ball if it wasn't thrown right to him. I remember him doing it once in a playoff game and was shocked to see it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I just don't like Torrey, to be completely honest. So I'm probably overly critical. The non-effort on the game ending INT @NE in 2014 soured me entirely on him. Never been a supporter of his since and never will be.
    That play really soured me towards Torrey, and I was glad we didn't resign him. He really benefited a lot from Flacco. Back then Flacco threw a hell of a deep ball which played into Torrey's main talent which was running 9 routes.

i lost all my love for torrey smith after that lame ass attempt to go after a jump ball in the endzone at the end of the 2014 afc div. loss to the pats. He also had a knack for never get his second foot down on tough sideline catches

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    We share the same attitude on this. I always say I’d love Torrey Smith as a neighbor cause he’s a hell of a good dude or seems that way. (Though he does troll social media a bit)
    But as a football player, I’ll pass.
    That INT against NE was a f’n joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, for one, Colin Kaepernick happened. Kaepernick had a horrible season necessitating a trip to Kurt Warner's QB mecahnics camp. The result: He could find Boldin but not Smith.

The Eagles recent turnaround was partially attributed to Nick Foles's willingness to do what Wentz was less comfortable doing: being risky downfield with passes to Jeffrey. The horizontal game that Wentz played would mean Smith was capped as being decoy.

When he went to Carolina, they already had high-draft pick, younger speed receivers to develop. Moreover, the injury to Olsen meant they needed another safety valve, and the injury to Cam meant wobbly passes and shorter drop backs.

His skills have likely declined. He'll likely be more dependent than ever on scheme and QB. I could see him as a role player in a run heavy offense like Seattle...making safeties play honest. Another destination: Tampa Bay. DeSean Jackson is likely gone; Bruce Arian likes to threaten downfield.

I was high on Torrey his first few seasons, especially after his breakout rams game his rookie year. He had a lot of great moments (game winning TD's against Pitt, his huge game against the Pats after his brother died, and of course his TD's in the mile high miracle game in which he abused Champ Bailey) but after the superbowl year saw that Torrey wasnt really improving and he really just wasn't that athletic other than speed.

Like other posters mentioned he had a habit of slowing down on his routes and he was terrible at tracking the ball and would almost never go up and get it. And like others, I was done with him after that NE game in 2014.

I do appreciate Torrey for what he contributed here and he of course was an integral part of the SB team but I wasn't sad to see him go but I did hope that he could be better than he was but it just didn't happen.

Met him once and he was a nice guy.