Blog Entries

Oline coach rankings

Really interesting article which attempts to rank oline coaches using sacks and tackles for loss.

Baltimore’s own Joe D is ranked 7th

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/...e-line-coaches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Oline coach rankings

The one thing that stood out to me last season was the discipline. That's an OL coach responsibility.

Remember 2016 how much god damn drives stalled from penalties.

Last year we were in the bottom of the league for OL penalties (false starts, holding)
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The one thing that stood out to me last season was the discipline. That's an OL coach responsibility.

Remember 2016 how much god damn drives stalled from penalties.

Last year we were in the bottom of the league for OL penalties (false starts, holding)
    Great point.

To me, in the second half of '17 the pass blocking really stood out. It wasn't like they looked like they were doing anything extraordinary. They were just – doing their jobs. They ID'd and blocked all the rushers. It looked businesslike.

Not as good this year. But my "sense" is guys were losing some one-on-one battles: not that they were failing to pick up their assignments. Not a scheme or coaching issue; just that some of them weren't good enough. I can't back that up with any tape, it's just my impression.

I want to hold onto this guy Joe D. I don't know what he's doing or if there's anything impressive to it. But our guys seem to play tough & play cohesive since he's been here. I like it and I want more of it. With a talent upgrade, preferably.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Really interesting article which attempts to rank oline coaches using sacks and tackles for loss.

Baltimore’s own Joe D is ranked 7th

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/...e-line-coaches

https://ds-web-assets.s3.amazonaws.c...08239-full.png
    That's a nice piece. I like his attempt.

I got no problem with the New England guy being #1. Probably Brady deserves a ton of credit for getting them into the right play or even into the right protections. But that guy has been doing it forever, and been great. He retired for a season or two, couple years ago, and Belichick pulled him back in.

Munchak has been highly regarded for a long time. So has Callahan, currently in DC.

The great mystery to me is Castillo. He was held in crazy high regard back when he was Andy Reid's OL coach in Philly; that's why he was so trusted he got asked to coordinate their Dream Defense. Now I guess the job he's doing in Buffalo is well regarded? But in between he was here, and literally nothing worked as well as it should have when he was here, except the Kubiak year. What the hell was going on?!? Was he overstepping bounds, not working well with other coaches?? Our performance with him on staff sure seemed to be less than the sum of the parts.

Crazy.

It's not too much to say that the OL coach might be the single most important assistant on your staff. Either him or the S&C guy.

Ironically our OL was wildly undiscplined this year.

3rd most false starts (26 in 17 games)
    Only 18 holds though (4th last in the league).

We were the 4th most penalized team in all penalties
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I’m not sure this is a good way to rank an Offensive Line Coach. A coach could have a really bad Guard as a starter and he end up giving up a lot of sacks, but still not give up as many as he probably should have if he didn’t have excellent coaching turning shit into a shit sandwich. It just seems like there is way too much nuance and too many intangible variables that would go into that. This is where I think this goes too far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I’m not sure this is a good way to rank an Offensive Line Coach.
    You're probably right.

It's an impressive attempt, though. OLs are just insanely difficult to grade. And I like that he went back over a decade; theoretically the problem of "one bad guard" should sort itself out over a long time frame.

I'd love to see Joe D get a bit more talent to work with. Maybe a 3rd this draft?
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.