Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Most impressive QB you saw play in person

Bobby Douglass.
    Dude was a left handed LB playing QB.

( not really the most impressive, just wanted to drop a BD reference on y’all)
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve only seen one NFL game in person, Ravens vs Dolphins in 2013.

My apologies to Ryan Tannehill, and my congratulations to one Mr. Joseph Vincent Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    I know this is not a really responsive answer, but the most impressive QB I saw was Roger Staubach - when he was playing for Navy. He was Tarkenton and Farve wrapped into one. As a kid I could never believe his ability to extend plays forever - longer than Ben does now - then fire a TD pass across the field. Talk about entertaining.
    A classmate of mine actually bought Staubach’s old house. Apparently she still gets mail addressed to him all the time.

Saw Unitas in training camp, but was too young to go to games, and never got to see him play at Memorial Stadium.

I have to go with Bert Jones. If it weren't for that disastrous preseason game in Pontiac, I think he would have been a house hold name.

Brady and Elway.

In 2009 The Ravens played in NE and Brady threw a out to the Pylon to Randy Moss 3 steps before Moss had his head around. He literally had a 1 foot window against excellent coverage and he completed it for a TD. I was impressed with tha among other throws.

Elway's arm strength was and maybe still is the greatest in history. In his start in Baltimore his rookie year he threw a 60 yard pass on a rope while evading the pass rush of Barry Krauss(lol). Everyone around me was like they've never seen that......ever. That guys physical tools were second to none.

While I wasn't impressed with Cam's QB play(Good to very good but not great) he's a huge human being. Think Suggs but taller, but not as muscular. He's the size of a DE.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Saw Unitas in training camp, but was too young to go to games, and never got to see him play at Memorial Stadium.
    Was that you I was standing next to when we were eight, under the goalposts at Goucher College, shagging field goal attempts?

Those were the days, when fans and players were really on equal terms.

My best game memory was his final game in Baltimore--the Unitas We Stand game in '72. Joe Thomas had ordered McCafferty to keep Johnny on the sideline for the rest of the season(so he wouldn't get hurt--they already had a trade with the Chargers lined up). McCafferty had refused this order, and it got him fired. So = John Sandusky (Gerry's dad) was elevated to head coach. I'm sure it was clear to Sandusky that his tenure as head coach of the Colts would be over at the end of the '72 season, and a new coaching staff would be brought in, so with the Colts losing in the fourth quarter, he put Johnny into the game and Johnny threw a come from behind touchdown.

Looking back on it, taking emotions out, it was probably time for a new era. The Colts drafted Bert Jones that off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Was that you I was standing next to when we were eight, under the goalposts at Goucher College, shagging field goal attempts?

Those were the days, when fans and players were really on equal terms.
    Perhaps, we were both there. I'm trying to remember how old I was, I think it may have been '69 or '70. I was 11yrs old in '72. I recall Baltimore County Parks & Rec used to have Summer Camps at the local Schools, during the summer. So, I'm thinking that maybe that's who organized this trip. If it was '72, then it may have been Boy Scouts. I do have an autographed picture from that day, and can remember waiting in line to get this coveted picture.

Being half Lithuanian, Johnny U was worshiped by my family. My Uncle was a Professional Bowler, and he and my grandfather frequented "Colt Lanes". I heard many stories about grandfather, who was also from PA, part of a small group of Lithuanian-Americans that frequented the establishment.

I also recall that my 2nd grade teacher's husband, Jeff Beaver, was 3rd string or Practice Squad, QB for the Colts. Checking on Pro Football Reference, it doesn't look like he made the team that year, though. I'm thinking maybe we attended a practice rather than training camp, because of that connection. (That would have been '67 - '68 season).

For the people that saw Bert Jones, do you think he had a stronger arm than Flacco? It seemed to me, that he did.

I do remember some Colts receivers complaining how hard Bert threw (ala Favre).

Jones threw harder and was much more accurate than Flacco. I'm unsure if he could throw it on one knee through the goal post ala Boller:)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    For the people that saw Bert Jones, do you think he had a stronger arm than Flacco? It seemed to me, that he did.

I do remember some Colts receivers complaining how hard Bert threw (ala Favre).
    I hung out with the retired Glen Doughty way back when. His fingers were bent and gnarled - worse than Johnny U's arthritic throwing hand. Glen said that Jones threw the hardest rocket of anyone he'd seen or played with.

We had a spirited debate here a few years ago about who was Baltimore's 2nd best QB of all-time: Jones (NFL MVP 1976?) vs Flacco (SB 47 MVP). I argued for Jones, but not by much. It's ironic that all three of our great QBs got tossed under the bus before their time, without being able to retire in a Baltimore uniform
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    It's ironic that all three of our great QBs got tossed under the bus before their time, without being able to retire in a Baltimore uniform
    How it usually goes. Only Elway got to do that.

Bert Jones

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN