Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Most impressive QB you saw play in person

Lucky enough to see the “old school “ guys play. Saw Aikmen, Young , Farve, Fouts, Kelly. Marino.
    Gotta say Kelly was a bad man. Elway was a Bad Man.
    If I had to pick a guy to go to War with that I’ve seen play ..Jim Plunkett. Dude is the embodiment of tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post
    I was at that game also.People remember Caspers'Ghost to the Post' in OT,but that game was blown when we gave up a 3 and 19(to Clifford Branch I believe) in the 4qtr.
    I don't think there is a quarterback in the league today who could take the kind of hits that Bert Jones and Kenny Stabler took. Brady wouldn't last a game (without his bodyguard of referees) back then. Bert Jones played 6 or 7 games one year with broken ribs - that kept getting broken.

[QUOTE=Shas;1624866]Bert Jones.

I'm old enough to have seen Unitas, but only in the last handful of years in Baltimore. Not all that memorable, per se.

Same here. The first game I went to had Unitas and Namath In 72, I think. I was 13 and didn't appreciate what I was witnessing at the time. I was impressed with all the new words I was learning and how creatively they could be strung together to insult the opposition and their fans.

[QUOTE=Derf;1625058]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Bert Jones.

I'm old enough to have seen Unitas, but only in the last handful of years in Baltimore. Not all that memorable, per se.

Same here. The first game I went to had Unitas and Namath In 72, I think. I was 13 and didn't appreciate what I was witnessing at the time. I was impressed with all the new words I was learning and how creatively they could be strung together to insult the opposition and their fans.
    I was at that game as well. At the time Unitas and Namath set the record for combined passing yards in an NFL game. Over the years, I had a chance to see Stabler, Jones and Griese. I was even at Elway's first game in Baltimore. Your really don't appreciate that stuff until your older.

Jim Kelly. I grew up in Buffalo.

I know this is not a really responsive answer, but the most impressive QB I saw was Roger Staubach - when he was playing for Navy. He was Tarkenton and Farve wrapped into one. As a kid I could never believe his ability to extend plays forever - longer than Ben does now - then fire a TD pass across the field. Talk about entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    I don't think there is a quarterback in the league today who could take the kind of hits that Bert Jones and Kenny Stabler took. Brady wouldn't last a game (without his bodyguard of referees) back then. Bert Jones played 6 or 7 games one year with broken ribs - that kept getting broken.
    It was his shoulder injuries and arm injuries that did him in. People don't really get that in the 70's and 80's players went back out there after getting injured it isn't just the rules that have changed but if you look at QB's they are so much healthier.

Bert Jones played hurt for most of his career. You had to. I remember that Steelers playoff game 75 Jones went out with a separated shoulder iced it and went back in the 4th quarter. That would never happen today hell Manning and Luck basically sat out entire seasons after one shoulder injury.

Even though they didn't play amazingly, I'm glad I got to see Rodgers (2013) and Brees (this season) in Baltimore in person. Those two are just way more exciting to watch vs. Brady dinking and dunking across the field

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Those two are just way more exciting to watch vs. Brady dinking and dunking across the field

People rag on Brady for that but if it’s so easy, why isn’t every qb able to do it? He’s so great and fast at reading and processing defenses. He’s not a flashy guy like Rodgers for sure but it’s impressive to me to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    People rag on Brady for that but if it’s so easy, why isn’t every qb able to do it? He’s so great and fast at reading and processing defenses. He’s not a flashy guy like Rodgers for sure but it’s impressive to me to watch.

They had Joey Bosa mic'd up for their game and he kept asking Brady to stop throwing so fast...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post

Ooh i don't disagree. Just sick of him I guess :)

In person? Joe Flacco.

The games I went to have been Giants, Pit, Bengals and Arizona
    Burn it down