Page 1 of 178 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up A Closer Look: 2019 WR draft class

Calling all draft nerds!

I was having a discussion in another thread about WRs and it made me think of creating this thread.
    This thread can be a place to discuss WR prospects in the upcoming draft class looking at film, posting information (and links) and attempting our own layman couch scouting assessments based on the film and info that we can find.

The hope is for a communal effort...and I humbly ask we put our agenda's aside make an extra effort to play nice.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Re: A Closer Look: 2019 WR draft class

Here is a list of WRs from Waltersfootball to get us started:
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php

A.J. Brown*, WR, Ole Miss
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Projected Round (2019): 1.
    1/5/19: In 2018, Brown totaled 85 receptions for 1,320 yards and six scores on the year. He played well, showing his speed, strength, and run-after-the-catch skills. Team sources say that Brown is expected to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

8/28/18: In 2017, Brown totaled 75 receptions for 1,252 yards and 11 touchdowns despite playing for a bad team that lost its starting quarterback to injury. Brown is a quick receiver who is not a burner with rare speed, but he makes up for it with polish and physicality. Brown is very dangerous with the ball in his hands. He uses his well-built frame to break tackles and is very difficult for a lot of defensive backs to get on the ground. For the NFL, Brown has tremendous yards-after-the-catch potential and could be a great fit in a west coast offense. He had a strong debut in 2016 with 29 receptions for 412 yards with two touchdowns.

D.K. Metcalf**, WR, Ole Miss
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
    Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
    1/5/19: Metcalf went out for the year with a neck injury after seven games. Prior to that, he was playing well, exploiting a lot of man coverage with teams focused on stopping A.J. Brown. For his 2018, Metcalf totaled 26 receptions for 569 yards and five touchdowns. The big wideout has mismatch size and is a red-zone weapon for the NFL. He should have returned to Ole Miss for 2019, but he decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft. His medical exam and his route-running are going to be very important for his draft grade.

Metcalf is a love/hate prospect. Some team sources think he could be drafted in the No. 15-25 range while others have him in Round 4 and don't think he has enough speed to be effective in the NFL.

Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.35.
    1/5/19: Campbell recorded 90 receptions for 1,063 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2018. He produced some big, clutch plays for the Buckeyes in 2018. Campbell is an excellent athlete with explosive speed and is a threat to go the distance any time he touches the ball. The biggest concern for Campbell is his hands and dropped passes.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Campbell checks in at 6-foot, 205 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in blistering 4.35 seconds. His arms measure at 32.38 inches, his hands at 9.63 inches, plus he has a 75.38-inch wing span.

Campbell has shown that he is an explosive play-maker, but his receiving production has been held back by Ohio State struggling to pass the ball. In 2017, he totaled 40 receptions for 584 yards and three touchdowns. He dropped some passes, but Campbell never could get in any groove or consistency as a receiver because J.T. Barrett had such limitations throwing the ball.

Campbell made only 13 receptions for 121 yards in 2016, but sources from multiple teams had told me that Campbell has big-time ability and they believe he can break out. They also think Campbell could have No. 1 receiver mismatch talent against pro receivers. He probably will take on a bigger role for Ohio State in 2018.

Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 208.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
    1/5/19: Samuel had 62 receptions for 882 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2018.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Samuel checks in at 6-foot, 208 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 4.55 seconds.

Some team sources are extremely excited about Samuel and feel he has shown some early-round potential. They love the explosive speed and play-making ability that he showcased in 2017. However, Samuel has to stay healthy and produce in 2018 in order to be an early-rounder.

Samuel had 15 receptions for 250 yards and three touchdowns across the first three games of 2017, but in the third contest, he broke a bone in his left leg. Samuel did not play the rest of the season. The junior got 2017 started in great fashion against N.C. State. It started right away as he took the opening kickoff back for a touchdown. Samuel added another kick return for a touchdown in the next game. Samuel had 59 receptions for 783 yards and a touchdown in 2016.

Marquise Brown*, WR, Oklahoma
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 160.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.35.
    Projected Round (2019): 1-3.
    1/5/19: In 2018, Brown totaled 75 receptions for 1,318 yards and 10 touchdowns. There is no doubt that Brown is explosive and has devastating speed that makes him a threat to score on any touch of the football.

For the NFL, sources feel that Brown is similar to T.Y. Hilton or Will Fuller. Brown catches the ball better than Fuller with more yards-after-the-catch skills than the Texans speedster, but Fuller is a better route runner than Brown. Brown is not as good of a make-you-miss receiver as the Chiefs' Tyreek Hill. Brown also is very undersized, and as a result, teams think he is more likely to get selected on Day 2 during the 2019 NFL Draft.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Brown checks in at 5-foot-11, 160 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 4.35 seconds, a very fast time.

Brown is a very fast wideout who is a threat to score anytime he catches a pass. As a sophomore, he averaged 19.2 yards per reception for 1,095 yards on 57 catches with seven touchdowns. Brown has a thin frame and needs to get stronger for the NFL, but he is very explosive. If he can maintain his speed while adding weight, he could be a dynamic wide receiver.

Kelvin Harmon, WR, N.C. State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 218.
    Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
    1/5/19: Harmon had 81 receptions for 1,186 yards and seven touchdowns in 2018. He is a a good run-after-the-catch receiver with toughness and generally reliable hands, plus he runs quality routes.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Harmon checks in at 6-foot-2, 218 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 4.55 seconds. He also has 32.5-inch arms, 8.88-inch hands, and with a 75.5-inch wing span, per this data.

Harmon made a lot of clutch catches and was a good receiver for Ryan Finley during the 2017 season. He totaled 69 receptions for 1,017 yards with four touchdowns. He is a thick receiver who has nice hands and runs quality routes. He is more of a possessional Z - flanker - receiver for the NFL.

Collin Johnson*, WR, Texas
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 220.
    1/5/19: In 2018, Johnson made 68 catches for 985 yards and seven touchdowns. He possesses mismatch size, but he does not play as big as he should. He doesn't bully corners or do as well as one would expect at leaping to high point the ball over receivers. Johnson has some quickness, and he can sink his hips better than one would expect for such a big receiver. He has issues tracking the ball and playing it in the air, but he has some impressive movement skills for a big wideout.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Johnson checks in at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 4.55 seconds. His measurements are 32.63-inche arms, 9-inch hands, and a 79-inch wing span.

Johnson flashed in 2017 with 54 receptions for 765 yards and two touchdowns. He was very impressive against USC and its talented cornerback Iman Marshall. Johnson had 28 catches for 315 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman, but team sources think Johnson could explode as a junior, because he has mismatch size that could let him dominate the Big XII's weak defenses.

N'Keal Harry*, WR, Arizona State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 216.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
    1/5/19: In 2018, Harry totaled 73 receptions for 1,088 yards and nine touchdowns. He declared for the 2019 NFL Draft after the regular season.

Team sources say that Harry is not real twitchy or explosive. They worry about how he is not fast in and out of breaks and don't see suddenness. Some sources said that Harry reminded them of Ole Miss wideout Laquon Treadwell, who is currently headed toward bust status for the Vikings. Some other sources say they are grading Harry on the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft and feel he is akin to Carolina Panthers wide receiver Devin Funchess. One team source said they originally planned on grading Harry in Round 2, but were lowering him to the third round.

8/28/18: Harry had strong 2017 season for the Sun Devils, snatching 73 passes for 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns. The big question for Harry will be if he has enough speed to separate from pro-caliber cornerbacks. He had 58 catches for 659 yards and five scores as a freshman.

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
    1/5/19: Arcega-Whiteside is a big receiver who has speed issues, but he also has mismatch size and is very adept at winning 50-50 passes. The senior totaled 63 catches for 1,059 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2018. As a junior, he recorded 48 receptions for 781 yards and nine touchdowns. One team source said they felt that Arcega-Whiteside was a poor-man's Mike Evans.

I'm planting my flag on J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. I think a QB with accuracy issues could do well with a big target that he can just sort of throw it up to. I'd love to leave the draft with this dude.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

I watched JJAW over the weekend. A couple of notes:

- I found his usage really strange. They used him like a RZ threat and there were a lot of plays where he wasn't the first read, which didn't make sense to me, so that needs to be factored into his production. 63 catches for 1,059 is a little low, but 14 TD's shows what I'm referring to. I don't think he was used properly.
    - His feet are very quick and I'm confident can run the full route tree.
    - He uses his body very well. He had a beautiful fox out in the 2018 Oregon game to go up for a RZ target that was a TD.
    - I keep reading his hands are concerning. I have not come across that.

My biggest worry would be how he'd do with a massive target share because he isn't used to it. But I do think he's more than a RZ target only and I think he was just used as such which is giving him that reputation.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I'm not getting why Hakeem Butler isn't getting more draft love. I like N'Keal Harry more than a lot of people, and I don't see what he has on Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    .- His feet are very quick and I'm confident can run the full route tree.
    I think it's so funny when Wide Receivers in the NFL can't run the full route tree. It's like, dude this is all you do. This is the highest level of football. You're paid how much and can't learn to run in a pattern? I don't know it's probably harder than I'm making it out to be, but it seems funny to me.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I think it's so funny when Wide Receivers in the NFL can't run the full route tree. It's like, dude this is all you do. This is the highest level of football. You're paid how much and can't learn to run in a pattern? I don't know it's probably harder than I'm making it out to be, but it seems funny to me.
    A lot of it is the difference between the college game and NFL. Some college offenses just don't use the same route combinations.

That's why it's hard to project. YOu have to look at the traits, put them together and project how they can make that transition.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I watched JJAW over the weekend. A couple of notes:

- I found his usage really strange. They used him like a RZ threat and there were a lot of plays where he wasn't the first read, which didn't make sense to me, so that needs to be factored into his production. 63 catches for 1,059 is a little low, but 14 TD's shows what I'm referring to. I don't think he was used properly.
    - His feet are very quick and I'm confident can run the full route tree.
    - He uses his body very well. He had a beautiful fox out in the 2018 Oregon game to go up for a RZ target that was a TD.
    - I keep reading his hands are concerning. I have not come across that.

My biggest worry would be how he'd do with a massive target share because he isn't used to it. But I do think he's more than a RZ target only and I think he was just used as such which is giving him that reputation.
    I think he's going to run slow. I dont know if that actually matters in the NFL, but he looked like a flex TE in 17.

espn had him at a 4.77 40 coming out of high school fwiw.

I do like him. But I have a huge bias for big WRs. Im a gigantic Sills fan as well
    Burn it down

Daniel Jeremiah stated on his podcast that ravens will need to draft wrs often and early since FA's will not be willing to go to baltimore since wrs will be blocking more than catching... so lets hope decosta is better at it than ozzie man

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I think he's going to run slow. I dont know if that actually matters in the NFL, but he looked like a flex TE in 17.

espn had him at a 4.77 40 coming out of high school fwiw.

I do like him. But I have a huge bias for big WRs. Im a gigantic Sills fan as well
    He's more explosive than fast. He has very good quickness which is more important for his route running.

IMO that's going to fit a Lamar offense better than a guy who can run fast in a straight line. He can explode on almost any route, get separation and has a big catch radius. Ideal for the WCO and Lamar IMO.
    - Ray Lewis

11. Re: A Closer Look: 2019 WR draft class

I'm no draft guru, but this list, and other things I'm reading about this class make me think 2 things:

1) I hope we can manuever and get a second round pick...trade Joe, comp for losing Jensen, etc. and do what it takes to move up and get a 2 - that looks like the value sweet spot for WR in this class

2) We need to play in FA and we need to replicate what we did with Sneed. For once, we didn't go with the over 30 club and it paid off. Is Sneed all-pro? No, but he's not on his last legs either and all-pro WRs don't hit FA anyway. I think Tyrell Williams makes a lot of sense to replace Smoke. Oh, and I'd try to extend Sneed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    I'm no draft guru, but this list, and other things I'm reading about this class make me think 2 things:

1) I hope we can manuever and get a second round pick...trade Joe, comp for losing Jensen, etc. and do what it takes to move up and get a 2 - that looks like the value sweet spot for WR in this class

2) We need to play in FA and we need to replicate what we did with Sneed. For once, we didn't go with the over 30 club and it paid off. Is Sneed all-pro? No, but he's not on his last legs either and all-pro WRs don't hit FA anyway. I think Tyrell Williams makes a lot of sense to replace Smoke. Oh, and I'd try to extend Sneed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Here are some things I think help Lamar:

- Draft a big body X (JJAW, N'Keal Harry, DK Metcalf).
    - Replace John Brown with Tyrell Willaims in FA
    - Keep Snead in the slot while using Hurst and Andrews in the seams
    - Add a pass catching RB who excels in space. There are a lot of these guys in the 3rd round this year.
    - Ray Lewis