Blog Entries

Re: A Closer Look: 2019 WR draft class

More from AJ vs A&M

@6:29 cont....

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    More from AJ vs A&M

@6:29 cont....
    AJ brown is probably the safest bet of the big name WRs. He does everything well
    Burn it down

If people in the business really think AJ Brown is WR #10 -ish, he is a very good target for the Ravens to trade down and grab.

NOTES

Vanderbilt
    2:43 shows some wiggle there to get a missed tackle at the sticks, nice (but hold on to the ball please)
    3:05 he's selling his routes even when he's not a target - this is a big deal at the next level
    3:12 ...and he's rewarded when running the exact same route the next time, he gets the ball and a 1st down
    3:31 goal line play where he runs a good slant route but play goes the other way
    3:45 awful tackling/angle there but Brown takes advantage of it and is fast enough to break it for a TD
    5:03 I love seeing that, the efficiency of movement that creates another missed tackle as he turns up the field
    7:16 that's just athleticism there. nice highpoint, was that necessary though?
    8:16 another comeback route, another catch with a guy draped all over him
    8:54 zero go route completions so far, still zero after drop, tough catch though
    9:13 another crisp cut on a slant on a play that doesn't go his way
    9:35 meh.
    9:49 that is really nice, he had his guy schooled but again, ball doesn't go his way
    9:59 again beats his guy on the slant with no result - nice fake to the outside
    10:17 getting ref balled after making a great play. SMDH

It's evident to me after just this one game film what AJ Brown is. He is not a bombs away, downfield WR. He doesn't win on the go route. We wins on everything else. Slants, outs, curls, comebacks, digs, you name it. He's just athletic enough to where it is not a detriment. And I love that he sells his stuff even if the play is not designed for him. This stuff plays at the NFL level. Also, dude is strong. 225 at 6'1"? jeebus

Right now with a limited list, best WR I've seen.
    Comp: JuJu Smith-Schuster.

bonus - watching DaMarkus Lodge in this game too, shows some of the same traits as Brown. Ole Miss has a good WR coach.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 02-20-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    If people in the business really think AJ Brown is WR #10 -ish, he is a very good target for the Ravens to trade down and grab.

NOTES

Vanderbilt
    2:43 shows some wiggle there to get a missed tackle at the sticks, nice (but hold on to the ball please)
    3:05 he's selling his routes even when he's not a target - this is a big deal at the next level
    3:12 ...and he's rewarded when running the exact same route the next time, he gets the ball and a 1st down
    3:31 goal line play where he runs a good slant route but play goes the other way
    3:45 awful tackling/angle there but Brown takes advantage of it and is fast enough to break it for a TD
    5:03 I love seeing that, the efficiency of movement that creates another missed tackle as he turns up the field
    7:16 that's just athleticism there. nice highpoint, was that necessary though?
    8:16 another comeback route, another catch with a guy draped all over him
    8:54 zero go route completions so far, still zero after drop, tough catch though
    9:13 another crisp cut on a slant on a play that doesn't go his way
    9:35 meh.
    9:49 that is really nice, he had his guy schooled but again, ball doesn't go his way
    9:59 again beats his guy on the slant with no result - nice fake to the outside
    10:17 getting ref balled after making a great play. SMDH

It's evident to me after just this one game film what AJ Brown is. He is not a bombs away, downfield WR. He doesn't win on the go route. We wins on everything else. Slants, outs, curls, comebacks, digs, you name it. He's just athletic enough to where it is not a detriment. And I love that he sells his stuff even if the play is not designed for him. This stuff plays at the NFL level. Also, dude is strong. 225 at 6'1"? jeebus

Right now with a limited list, best WR I've seen.
    Comp: JuJu Smith-Schuster.

bonus - watching DaMarkus Lodge in this game too, shows some of the same traits as Brown. Ole Miss has a good WR coach.
    Great post. Will reply but I'm still finishing AJ's A&M game. Would love to discuss some of the plays if you're still interested. The A&M game and the Vandy game were important for me because he's playing almost exclusively outside WR which you don't see much on his other games cut-ups.

TEXAS A&M NOTES - AJ BROWN

0:00 don't be lacks bringing this guy down, he slippery
    0:11 the little shove at the end, hahaha
    0:19 slant and go! nice
    2:06 just sitting back and enjoying at this point
    2:38 part of the bubble screen fake - Ole Miss probably should have thrown it
    2:45 sustained run block there alongside Elijah Moore
    3:17 run blockin' for the screen hahaha
    4:59 Brown split a CB/S double team and had both of them beat with an option corner route... but negated by a terrible throw that was way too late and way inside... and way too weak
    5:48 comeback route no surprise at this point. why behind the sticks? Ravens-esque. QB staring him down not making it easy.
    6:17 playmaker play. covered, see ball, get ball.

side note - Ole Miss's QB sucks. Jeez.

Blog Entries

AJ vs A&M cont.

Last edited by edromeo; 02-20-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Great post. Will reply but I'm still finishing AJ's A&M game. Would love to discuss some of the plays if you're still interested. The A&M game and the Vandy game were important for me because he's playing almost exclusively outside WR which you don't see much on his other games cut-ups.
    Do some gifs where he doesn't get the ball thrown to him but could have. From the lists I provided.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Do some gifs where he doesn't get the ball thrown to him but could have. From the lists I provided.
    If you want to talk about something specific from a certain point in the game then tell me the timestamp you want from the youtube cutup. I've got to run for a little while but when I get back I was gonna finish the A&M game.

Blog Entries

Finally get to see AJ playing outside

Good release- shows initial quickness/suddenness and gets past the press CB and has the CB stacked behind him in ~8 steps

QB starts his progression by looking to AJ, shows that AJ is the focal point of the passing game both by the staff and by the QB

The defense is showing Brown respect right away-they have him doubled w/ a CB w/ Safety help on top

10 yards square in from the (L) side vs man coverage
    Good release, sudden off the line, strong through some initial contact (looks like he did a swat or rip) gains ~3 yards separation at his break
    Adjust to ball thrown a little behind him on his hip
    Good run after the catch, good speed, beats 3 defenders, accelerates past 2 and gets past a DB making a business decision tackle attempt by diving at AJ's feet
    DB didn't want none of AJ running full speed

Press coverage- wins again, good route to turn CB around and gain ~2 yards of separation going vertical
    can't see where the S is on this play but AJ clearly wins against the CB

wins vs press, good quickness at the snap to get into his route
    CB is playing him inside trying to keep him on the sideline
    AJ is able to get inside the CB w/ a good route, gains ~2 yards of separation at the break on a 8-10 yard square in
    good run after the catch, plays strong almost like a RB
    Last edited by edromeo; 02-20-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Finally get to see AJ playing outside

Good release- shows initial quickness/suddenness and gets past the press CB and has the CB stacked behind him in ~8 steps

QB starts his progression by looking to AJ, shows that AJ is the focal point of the passing game both by the staff and by the QB

The defense is showing Brown respect right away-they have him doubled w/ a CB w/ Safety help on top

10 yards square in from the (L) side vs man coverage
    Good release, sudden off the line, strong through some initial contact (looks like he did a swat or rip) gains ~3 yards separation at his break
    Adjust to ball thrown a little behind him on his hip
    Good run after the catch, good speed, beats 3 defenders, accelerates past 2 and gets past a DB making a business decision tackle attempt by diving at AJ's feet
    DB didn't want none of AJ running full speed

Press coverage- wins again, good route to turn CB around and gain ~2 yards of separation going vertical
    can't see where the S is on this play but AJ clearly wins against the CB

wins vs press, good quickness at the snap to get into his route
    CB is playing him inside trying to keep him on the sideline
    AJ is able to get inside the CB w/ a good route, gains ~2 yards of separation at the break on a 8-10 yard square in
    good run after the catch, plays strong almost like a RB
    He reminds me a little of Dez Bryant, especially after the catch. He’s tough as nails too! I’d be shocked if he made it to our pick, him and DK are going top 15.

Blog Entries

Sign of respect from the opposing DC
    Defense is doubling him with bracket coverage,
    Good burst off the line, sharp cut into the slant he still manages to cross the face of the CB who played with inside leverage to keep him outside

RZ double coverage with a press CB and Safety help
    Can't see his release or his route
    Brown gets open on a comeback route - in very cramped area
    still shows rac ability and strength

Gains a step on the CB, ball is late and underthrown
    tracks the ball well to adjust , +concentration, +strength

He manages to make the great body adjustment without jumping/high pointing

Blog Entries

Wins 1-v-1 in RZ goal to situation.
    good initial quickness and burst off the line
    Adjusts to the QBs attempted 'throw to position'
    +concentration to stay with catch with a CB draped all over him
    would like to see him be more explosive to attack/high point the ball

Just looking at his suddenness off the line...am eventual gonna time his 1st 10 yards and estimate his speed