Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vedvik vs Koch

Re: Vedvik vs Koch

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    the misses in the kicking game this year have cost teams victories all over the nfl. this includes two teams in our division in the browns and squealers.
    The Ravens probably would not have been in the playoffs this year if not for Koch and the 51-yard punt that pinned the Chargers at their own 30.

Had the Chargers started that final drive just five yards further up the field, they kick a winning field goal before CJ ever picks off that fourth down pass attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    the misses in the kicking game this year have cost teams victories all over the nfl. this includes two teams in our division in the browns and squealers.

many teams in the NFL would be licking their chops for a chance at Vedvik. If he performs this year like he did last training camp maybe the ravens should consider replacing koch with Vedvik. the team would save a lot under the salary cap comparing kochs salary to a rookie deal.

you can't go by one game but in the playoff game against the chargers koch was hitting low line drive kicks directly at the returner. we couldn't figure out if he was hitting them low to avoid the wind but there was no excuse for kicking right at the returner.

koch is going to be 37 at the beginning of next year. it may be time to move on.
    depends on vedvik can hold the FG snaps as well
    Burn it down

I just don't get the Vedvik love. Trade him for a late round pick and be done with it. Punters and kickers can play a lot longer than most NFL players, and Koch is among the best in the league.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bring Vedvik back and let him compete in camp. I have no problem with him beating out Koch but he would really have to beat him out. Koch isn't just a guy with a big leg. He's the premier directional punter in the NFL and the holder for Tucker. Give the kid his shot but he has to win the job
    This.

Plus Koch has single handedly changed the punting game, with the several different punts.

Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Thanks for the follow up. You have outlined a perfect 80/20 scenario. Vedvik is 20 percent of the cost and at least 80 percent of the talent.

Still, I think there's a lot of teams that literally lost because of kickers and their fan base is furious. Trading for a new kicker isn't getting a GM fired this off-season. Punters are easier to replace. Let's get our max value for Vedvik

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The other issue isn't even related to cost. If Vedvik can play he'll be gone and picked by another team either via trade or after we cut him. How many years does Koch have left 2 maybe?

Then we'll end up having to scramble to find his replacement. It maybe ageist or whatever but if Vedik can perform at a high level let him have the job. Love Koch he's been great for us but like I said I'd rather we make this move two years too early then too late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    [B]

https://overthecap.com/player/kaare-vedvik/7263/

The thing about Koch is he maybe has two years left. He also makes 7.1 million over the next two years. Vedvik 1.2 it's not a small figure.

But yeah if something offers something of value like a mid round pick you take it but otherwise Koch will be 37 next year I'd rather start the process a year early rather then a year too late plus there is some value in having Vedvik on the roster in case of injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Thanks for the follow up. You have outlined a perfect 80/20 scenario. Vedvik is 20 percent of the cost and at least 80 percent of the talent.

Still, I think there's a lot of teams that literally lost because of kickers and their fan base is furious. Trading for a new kicker isn't getting a GM fired this off-season. Punters are easier to replace. Let's get our max value for Vedvik

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Can he hold? Do you really wanna mess up Tucker’s thing he’s got going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koch is the man... He might have had a tough punt last game, but look around the league and see who else has as good of a punter... Even King got released in the offseason. I think we stick with him until he retires

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    The other issue isn't even related to cost. If Vedvik can play he'll be gone and picked by another team either via trade or after we cut him. How many years does Koch have left 2 maybe?

Then we'll end up having to scramble to find his replacement. It maybe ageist or whatever but if Vedik can perform at a high level let him have the job. Love Koch he's been great for us but like I said I'd rather we make this move two years too early then too late.
    I agree... a lot of the people here are mentioning the teams that did not go to the playoffs because of a kicker... and yet it appears we have a great one in Vedvik... so I would definitely let him try to beat Koch out in camp and if he can keep him and let Koch walk... use the money saved towards a free agent ... get young ... not rely on old that may be in their final year or 2....

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The Ravens probably would not have been in the playoffs this year if not for Koch and the 51-yard punt that pinned the Chargers at their own 30.

Had the Chargers started that final drive just five yards further up the field, they kick a winning field goal before CJ ever picks off that fourth down pass attempt.
    You talking the Browns game?

Koch is hardly old. Look at other kickers & punters - Adam Vinatieri (45), Phil Dawson (43), Matt Bryant (43), Shane Lechler (42) and Sebastian Janikowski (40). Landetta punted into his 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Can he hold? Do you really wanna mess up Tucker’s thing he’s got going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's going to have to happen at some point.

There is also the added benefit of if Tucker gets injured ingame like what happened with Janikowski they have someone on the roster who can still kick FG's.

I dunno. Once again if he does well in the preseason it's just one of those things that seems like a no brainer to me because it's something that is going to have to have happen soon anyways plus you get the benefit of cap savings, the benefit of already having the guy on your roster, and the benefit of potentially of solving the position longterm.

I'd be more upset if in two years Vedvik is kicking for another team and we are scrambling for a punter then if this didn't work out because if we are wrong it's not something that will have longterm ramifications. Koch likely has two years left at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I just don't get the Vedvik love. Trade him for a late round pick and be done with it. Punters and kickers can play a lot longer than most NFL players, and Koch is among the best in the league.
    His kicks and punts showed his potential to be a force in the kicking game. Hard to part with Koch though unless he shows decline.