Page 1 of 17 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Official Lamar Jackson Thread

Now, you all know that Joe Flacco was my favorite player and it's hard seeing him leave after supporting him for over a decade. There may be times when I poke fun at some posters who are more entrenched on the Lamar Jackson train. However, I do think that Lamar Jackson has a great deal of potential. Nonetheless, there is a problem that I have. I think that the coaching staff is going to ruin him.

When I watched him at Louisville, the vast majority of his runs were designed runs. Even this season, a good portion of his runs were designed runs. I think that, since he's so athletic, there are a lot of fans, former players and media personalities who just assume that he's a typical running QB who is uncomfortable in the pocket. When I watched him at Louisville and this season with the Ravens, the reality is that he absolutely is a pocket QB. He is most comfortable throwing from the pocket. He is not as comfortable throwing on the run and looks to stay in the pocket as long as he can.

He has the football IQ. I know that some assumed that he doesn't, because he isn't the best speaker in the world. However, he certainly has the football IQ. He also has the mental intangibles. He has the arm. His issue, from what I've seen (Along with several other posters) is that his lower body technique is really bad when he throws, far more often than not. However, he is not some 'One read and go' QB like a Colin Kaepernick or Tyrod Taylor. Not only is that not who he is in nature, but his potential far exceeds that.

What bothers me is that we've now seen two coaching staffs (Under Petrino at Louisville and under Harbaugh here) place more emphasis on showcasing his legs than growing him as a passer. It seems that with the responses I and some others have received recently, it seems that I have to clearly state that the previous sentence is not implying that growing him as a passer isn't a point of emphasis at all. Nonetheless, the reality is that Lamar Jackson is much, much closer to a traditional pocket QB. He just has unique athleticism and evasiveness. Again, he looks to stay in the pocket.

I have doubts as to whether or not Coach Harbaugh and Roman will place enough emphasis on growing him as a passer. I have a bad feeling that Roman is going to treat him like Kaepernick and, while he'll still grow as a passer to a degree, he won't come close to his full potential.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: The Official Lamar Jackson Thread

Damn.....only 5 paragraphs? You're slipping, man.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

This reminds me of a reporter saying after the draft that "Lamar is good for Baltimore, but Baltimore may not be good for Lamar." I agree with your assessment of Lamar. He's stereotyped because he is an elite runner at the QB position. But Lamar loves being a QB and is so committed to QB that he didn't run at the combine. He has the potential to be an elite QB in this league but the key is in whether Harbaugh sees him that way. Or simply as an electric running game managing QB.

So THIS is the official LJ thread. I'm guessing there have been others.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    It only took 528 previous threads until we got the official one, lol....
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I just thought it best to get ahead of the curve with the off-season coming, figuring that there would probably be ten different ones.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I think the offense is in good hands with Roman.
    Ideally I want to bring someone additional on staff that has a background in spread-and RPO concepts in the passing game.
    But short of that I'm happy with the upgrade from Marty to Roman.
    Roman calls a high efficiency if "boring" offense but its an offense you can go to the SB with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I just thought it best to get ahead of the curve with the off-season coming, figuring that there would probably be ten different ones.
    So maybe the Official Lamar Jackson 2019 Campaign Thread?

#VoteLamar #ILikeJack #YesHeCan #TippecanoeAndJacksonToo

funny the #1 flacco fan starts an LJ thread

agreed. of all the QBs out there, the QB i'd like to see him emulate the most is Aaron Rodgers. i know, i know, Aaron is one of the GOATs and so of course you'd want to emulate him, but right now i think everyone is thinking Kaepernick/Newton/Wilson for him. i don't know if other people think of Rodgers as quick. i know his top speed isn't that of a RB. but he is elusive in the pocket, has enough speed to make the quick cuts that makes a defender miss (and usually when a defender misses, their momentum carries them far enough past Rodgers that they're effectively out of the play), he has good instincts about how best to avoid rushers and still make the pass. and Rodgers was always quick enough that he could pick up a few yards or a first down if he needed to.

obviously Lamar would be a few years away from that level of accuracy (if he ever gets close to it at all). but i think his upside long-term at the position is this elusiveness and separation. Rodgers is a very accurate passer, but moreso than Brady or Manning or Brees, Rodgers uses his feet to get him out in space. i think Lamar has a good enough throwing motion to at least possibly get there. his arm stays tight and close to the ear, with a quick motion and what seems to be the proper release point. he does carry the ball below the waist, sometimes one-handed, in the initial part of his backfield scrambling (bad, leads to fumbles), but once he's actually looking downfield to throw he keeps the ball high (good). i think he needs to work a lot on his actual throwing mechanics when he's on the run, but anyway this is what i see as his true potential. he has the tools to become one of the most elusive passers in the game as early as next season, his ability to give himself separation and extend plays beyond 5 seconds will help compensate while his accuracy improves over the next few seasons (if it does, not saying it will, just that it has the potential to). i know the highlights most people think about in his first season are his amazing runs, but i've really been impressed with his pocket and backfield movement, and i think that's where his best strength will be. he really could be THE MOST elusive passer in the game next season. a lot of predictions for him are premature, but that's one i think he's already close to accomplishing.

Lamar does not remind me of Aaron Rodgers - but it's still a good goal to set even if you never attain it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    funny the #1 flacco fan starts an LJ thread
    I have no issue talking about either. The point I made in the other thread was that those guys often act as though they are tired of people bringing Flacco up, only to start threads about him. I've never taken that approach to Lamar.