Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Ok, first answer already has me a little side eyed...

As a passer - that's exactly what he IS
    Any analysis of Lamars play that starts off with "he's not a pocket passer" is off the mark from the get go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Alright, I didn't respond the first time but I feel compelled to now.

I watched the Cleveland game. I've watched every game I could. I've watched replays of games. Lamar is a quarterback. Maybe he won't be a good one. But he's a quarterback. And guess what? Baker Mayfield is an athlete. Both, are both.

Lamar isn't some 2-bit college positionless athlete. He makes reads. He looks at more than one option. He rolls out and you see him looking down the field before deciding to throw or run. He is very adept at the play action handoff. You're going to see him able to make audibles in year 2.

Frankly, you're the one that sounds like you haven't been watching.

Boller was bad, Smith was bad... some of the late round picks were bad. Flacco was a good pick. Tyrod Taylor was a good pick. (but he sucks) he was a 6th round pick and he's competent - that's a good pick in ROUND 6. Even Derek Anderson was a good pick. Again, round 6.

So they hit on a QB and it's "luck".

...because not trading up is the same as passing on a player. sound logic.

This one I will concede - if only the Ravens hadn't drafted his predecessor at California two years earlier. #BillWalshRule

Are you fucking kidding me????? Booooo Ravens suck, they passed on Brady lulz

I take it then that you think Lamar should be a Wide Receiver.

You are beginning to make me feel like I am back in the 1950s at St Elizabeths with the nuns running wild with their red ink corrections/parsings of my elementary school compositions.

If Carroll Rosenbloom hadn't stuck his "you know what" into Georgia Frontiere - we wouldn't be having this discussion. Rosenbloom would have never traded the Colts to Ersay for the Rams and we would be having a discussion about how the Colts went from Unitas to Bert Jones to John Elway to Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck and how we (the Baltimore Colts) were the dominate Superbowl winning team in the history of the NFL with a long proud tradition of great quarterbacks. Instead we can look back on Wes Pate with fond memories (who the hell is Wes Pate and does anyone remember the Ravens drafting him).

Lamar will try his best and I wish him well - but we will be back in the same boat in a couple of years looking for a quarterback

Addendum: For those who don't know the history, Georgia Frontiere, hooked up (and that is the correct term) with Carroll Rosenbloom - the owner of the Baltimore Colts - in the late 50s with the assistance of old man Joe Kennedy. Georgia was the proverbial BIMBO - a Miami showgirl/night club performer - who had been married 5 times previously. So he eventually married her and they moved to LA in the mid 60s. So Georgia kept Rosenbloom "busy" in LA and he lost interest in the team in Baltimore. So he eventually swapped the Colts for the Rams (Ersay actually owned the Rams for a day - and traded with Rosenbloom) - that's how we got Ersay. So if Ersay didn't own the Colts, Elway would have played for Baltimore and if Rosenbloom kept his thing in his pants he would have still owned the Colts and they would have never moved to Indy. I'm presuming the Baltimore Colts would have gotten Peyton Manning and then Andrew Luck. So I guess you can say that Baltimore's quarterback dilemma is directly attributable to the NFL most famous BIMBO - Georgia Frontiere.
    Last edited by Cleo&Dilly; 01-14-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Baker Mayfield is a quarterback. Lamar is an athlete.

The Ravens are terrible at evaluating quarterbacks. As I indicated earlier - they drafted Boller, Troy Smith, Flacco, Tyrod Taylor - and to complete the list - Chris Redman, Wes Pate, Josh Harris, Derek Andersen, Keith Wenning, John Stark and Wally Richardson. They got lucky with Flacco and got five good years out of him. Over the years they passed (in the draft) on Brees, Big Ben (admittedly they did not have a #1 when Ben was drafted in 2004 - BUT they could have traded up), Rogers, Brady.

The Ravens have no idea what goes into what makes a good quarterback - that is why Lamar is so perfect for them - since they can't tell he's not a good quarterback he fits right in. If a 22 year old Bert Jones tried to be a walk on the Ravens would probably try to work him out as a long snapper.
    Well I guess the Browns are better at drafting QBs. Lookie here:
    Tim Couch = the 1999 #1 over-all pick.
    Brady Quinn = the 2007 #22 over-all pick.
    Brandon Weeden = the 2012 #22 over-all pick.
    Johnny Manziel = the 2014 #22 over-all pick.

While I don't know how LJ will turn out, and the Ravens have had their failures at the position, it's pretty easy to compare LJ to the 1st pick. However, don't tell me he's a failure (your inference to "athlete") until a couple more years go by. Let's reconvene in 2021, shall we... Bc

this is the ravens 2nd major ballsy move at qb. the first move was when grbac went awol after ditching dilfer. that was a gutsy move to try to improve the team after winning a SB but the move just didn't work out.

we went to 2 training camps sessions last year and were amazed at how bad LJ was throwing the ball on 3 on 3 drills without pressure. it took balls to do what the ravens have done at the qb position so i give them credit. the one thing about LJ that we don't see is his leadership. the team loves this guy and they want to play for him and with him. that means a lot in football which is an emotional sport.

i am hoping for the best but we will see.

You are beginning to make me feel like I am back in the 1950s at St Elizabeths with the nuns running wild with their red ink corrections/parsings of my elementary school compositions.

If Carroll Rosenbloom hadn't stuck his "you know what" into Georgia Frontiere - we wouldn't be having this discussion. Rosenbloom would have never traded the Colts to Ersay for the Rams and we would be having a discussion about how the Colts went from Unitas to Bert Jones to John Elway to Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck and how we (the Baltimore Colts) were the dominate Superbowl winning team in the history of the NFL with a long proud tradition of great quarterbacks. Instead we can look back on Wes Pate with fond memories (who the hell is Wes Pate and does anyone remember the Ravens drafting him).

Lamar will try his best and I wish him well - but we will be back in the same boat in a couple of years looking for a quarterback

Addendum: For those who don't know the history, Georgia Frontiere, hooked up (and that is the correct term) with Carroll Rosenbloom - the owner of the Baltimore Colts - in the late 50s with the assistance of old man Joe Kennedy. Georgia was the proverbial BIMBO - a Miami showgirl/night club performer - who had been married 5 times previously. So he eventually married her and they moved to LA in the mid 60s. So Georgia kept Rosenbloom "busy" in LA and he lost interest in the team in Baltimore. So he eventually swapped the Colts for the Rams (Ersay actually owned the Rams for a day - and traded with Rosenbloom) - that's how we got Ersay. So if Ersay didn't own the Colts, Elway would have played for Baltimore and if Rosenbloom kept his thing in his pants he would have still owned the Colts and they would have never moved to Indy. I'm presuming the Baltimore Colts would have gotten Peyton Manning and then Andrew Luck. So I guess you can say that Baltimore's quarterback dilemma is directly attributable to the NFL most famous BIMBO - Georgia Frontiere.
    TL;DR - old man yells at cloud...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Ok, first answer already has me a little side eyed...

As a passer - that's exactly what he IS
    I left out the word "conventional".
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Another great prediction, in line with so many others on this board from last offseason.

Alright, we'll check back in next year on this prediction.
    I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I think Lamar is one of the greatest all around athletes in the NFL as a rookie but ...... I went back and forth about it, with respect to a QB and seen how, in the last two games the opposing teams had the Ravens High School run offense - put in place by those GIANT LOL NFL geniuses Harbaugh and Marty- almost shut down and how this type of play in the NFL is not in any stretch of the imagination a long term solution. Lamar had made some good passes and hope he becomes great, but most were head scratchers. If you have to be taught how to throw after you get to the NFL, this is not a good thing ;just look at Tim Tebow. This will be interesting to watch. It shall be boom or bust, possibly a lot of empty seats at the stadium . The owner could be there almost alone! I don't think he gets it yet!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    That's fair, thanks for the update

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Did you elaborate? To note that the only true difference between he and a “conventional” pocket QB is his pure athleticism? Nothing to do with being anxious to leave the pocket or anything of the sort?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by In2deep View Post
    Interesting article on here from Tony.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019...ay/ravens-mvp/
    I have no idea how anyone can be "thoroughly convinced" of anything after 8 starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    I have no idea how anyone can be "thoroughly convinced" of anything after 8 starts.
    Just to clarify, that was the question, not my response to it.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

I agree with Tony's assessment, and most of these statements from above posts:

Quote Originally Posted by In2deep View Post
    I see us .500 or below next year ,bottom feeders for sure in the AFC North. Don' worry though , the PC crew will blame the OC, Harbaugh, DC, and anyone else they can point a finger at, but not the QB!
    We may edge out the Bengals, so "bottom-feeders" may be avoided.

Baker Mayfield is a quarterback. Lamar is an athlete.
    I really love to watch Jackson's athleticism in play. He could be great if used in a role similar to what we saw Sunday with Taysom Hill augmenting Brees. But Jackson doesn't demonstrate the passing skills of even an average NFL QB to justify a long-term ride as the Ravens starting QB.

Realistically, DeCosta & Harbaugh bought themselves a year to make the Lamar-gimmick work, so no hope to see a QB drafted by the Ravens this year (unless RG3 walks). If there is another Mayfield-type in the 2020 draft, here's hoping that DeCosta grabs him.

I'm really astonished at how some Ravens fans here have been taken in by Lamar. Once the freak scheduling of the five worst defenses over five games was over, Lamar reverted to the mediocrity which he displayed over the preseason. The Chargers did exactly what many of us predicted after the fluke loss due to the receiver's ill-played stretch out fumbling the game away. Their DC analyzed the gimmickry in the Lamar offense and totally shut it down in the rematch in the playoffs. Minus 2 yards passing, limited rushing and multiple fumbles was not only the killer for the 2018, but the likely template for double digit losses for 2019. DC's from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, LA Rams, Seattle, New England and all the other NFL opponents will be licking their chops to follow suit: it's likely going to be a very long season
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).