Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by In2deep View Post
    Excellent!!! at least one of the enlightened on here. I see us .500 or below next year ,bottom feeders for sure in the AFC North. Don' worry though , the PC crew will blame the OC, Harbaugh, DC, and anyone else they can point a finger at, but not the QB!
    Are you saying that the PC crew blamed Joe before?

Excellent!!! at least one of the enlightened on here. I see us .500 or below next year ,bottom feeders for sure in the AFC North. Don' worry though , the PC crew will blame the OC, Harbaugh, DC, and anyone else they can point a finger at, but not the QB!
    With Roman as the OC I think they can challenge for the North. If they got an OC that would try and develop LJ into a passer it would be disaster. We are going to be run heavy and play good defense. They will limit LJ to the Short and intermediate throws over the middle that he can make. Andrews and Hurst will be beasts in the offense. At least they are not trying to square peg into a round hole with LJ. They are going to play to his strengths. They just need to say some Hail Marys that he doesn't get hurt running the ball.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Did you watch the Cleveland game. Baker Mayfield is a promising young NFL quarterback. Lamar is a promising young sandlot athlete. There is a big difference between the two - and its a difference that will never be bridged. However, Lamar is consistent with the Ravens ability to evaluate Quarterback talent.

The Ravens can fool themselves for a couple of years into believing that Lamar's athleticism will eventually translate into success as an NFL quarterback - but they will eventually find themselves back in a time warp - back to April 2008 - pre 2008 draft - LOOKING FOR MR. RIGHT. By that time the Browns will have a couple of AFC North Championship banners hanging in the Dawg Pound - and the Ravens will be back rolling the dice on another Boller/Smith/Flacco/Taylor - as the Bradys/Rogers/Brees slip through their fingers as they have in the past. But - rest assured - the Ravens will have added a couple of more stud run stuffing nose tackles.
    Unbelievable! Mayfield was the #1 over-all pick in the NFL draft, and the Browns have had several of those due to their incompetence on the field, while LJ was the 32nd pick and Ozzie had to trade up to get him. To write "Lamar is consistent with the Ravens ability to evaluate Quarterback talent" is so disingenuous that you're looking like the poster child for MMQB... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    No problem, but here's the deal. If LJ does horribly this year or even gets hurt, why would you be an opponent of drafting a guy even in the mid rounds just for insurance?
    Can’t and won’t speak for Mr BC ...but ...I wouldn’t draft a qb this year or next regardless of Lamar ...because of Harbeckler. If the Ravens are gonna keep Harbeckler and his “run first “ offense ...QBs like Lamar are hard to find. We have Lamar and I’d bring back RG3 to back up. Even guys like Cam , Vick and Wilson couldn’t run the ball as much as Harbeckler is gonna have Lamar run it.
    In short ...as long as Harbeckler is our HC , The Veer and Lamar are here to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I think either way we need to come to a conclusion by the end of 2019 of whether or not he is the guy.
    That's a Bill Walsh precept. You have to know by the end of his second season whether the young QB is your guy or not.

I think even if he never bumps his 58% passing accuracy up to 65%+ it won't be a huge issue because he is proficient at extending drives. 3rd and 6? If the reads aren't there, he converts with his legs.

Excellent!!! at least one of the enlightened on here. I see us .500 or below next year ,bottom feeders for sure in the AFC North.
    Another great prediction, in line with so many others on this board from last offseason.

Alright, we'll check back in next year on this prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Unbelievable! Mayfield was the #1 over-all pick in the NFL draft, and the Browns have had several of those due to their incompetence on the field, while LJ was the 32nd pick and Ozzie had to trade up to get him. To write "Lamar is consistent with the Ravens ability to evaluate Quarterback talent" is so disingenuous that you're looking like the poster child for MMQB... Bc

Baker Mayfield is a quarterback. Lamar is an athlete.

The Ravens are terrible at evaluating quarterbacks. As I indicated earlier - they drafted Boller, Troy Smith, Flacco, Tyrod Taylor - and to complete the list - Chris Redman, Wes Pate, Josh Harris, Derek Andersen, Keith Wenning, John Stark and Wally Richardson. They got lucky with Flacco and got five good years out of him. Over the years they passed (in the draft) on Brees, Big Ben (admittedly they did not have a #1 when Ben was drafted in 2004 - BUT they could have traded up), Rogers, Brady.

The Ravens have no idea what goes into what makes a good quarterback - that is why Lamar is so perfect for them - since they can't tell he's not a good quarterback he fits right in. If a 22 year old Bert Jones tried to be a walk on the Ravens would probably try to work him out as a long snapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I think even if he never bumps his 58% passing accuracy up to 65%+ it won't be a huge issue because he is proficient at extending drives. 3rd and 6? If the reads aren't there, he converts with his legs.
    I'm looking for anything over 60%. A 7% bump is so rare going from college to the pros, can't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I'm looking for anything over 60%. A 7% bump is so rare going from college to the pros, can't expect it.
    Tbh i don't think 58 percent is bad in a vacuum. He just needs enough "big" plays to mask it.

Flaccos career average is probably around that but in say the first half of his career he had enough big plays to make up for it.

When we changed our style of offense to shorter quicker passes and that percentage stayed the same, the offense couldn't get out of its own way.

Alright, I didn't respond the first time but I feel compelled to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Baker Mayfield is a quarterback. Lamar is an athlete.
    I watched the Cleveland game. I've watched every game I could. I've watched replays of games. Lamar is a quarterback. Maybe he won't be a good one. But he's a quarterback. And guess what? Baker Mayfield is an athlete. Both, are both.

Lamar isn't some 2-bit college positionless athlete. He makes reads. He looks at more than one option. He rolls out and you see him looking down the field before deciding to throw or run. He is very adept at the play action handoff. You're going to see him able to make audibles in year 2.

Frankly, you're the one that sounds like you haven't been watching.

The Ravens are terrible at evaluating quarterbacks. As I indicated earlier - they drafted Boller, Troy Smith, Flacco, Tyrod Taylor - and to complete the list - Chris Redman, Wes Pate, Josh Harris, Derek Andersen, Keith Wenning, John Stark and Wally Richardson.
    Boller was bad, Smith was bad... some of the late round picks were bad. Flacco was a good pick. Tyrod Taylor was a good pick. (but he sucks) he was a 6th round pick and he's competent - that's a good pick in ROUND 6. Even Derek Anderson was a good pick. Again, round 6.

They got lucky with Flacco and got five good years out of him.
    So they hit on a QB and it's "luck".

Over the years they passed (in the draft) on Brees, Big Ben (admittedly they did not have a #1 when Ben was drafted in 2004 - BUT they could have traded up)
    ...because not trading up is the same as passing on a player. sound logic.

Rogers,
    This one I will concede - if only the Ravens hadn't drafted his predecessor at California two years earlier. #BillWalshRule

Brady.
    Are you fucking kidding me????? Booooo Ravens suck, they passed on Brady lulz

The Ravens have no idea what goes into what makes a good quarterback - that is why Lamar is so perfect for them - since they can't tell he's not a good quarterback he fits right in. If a 22 year old Bert Jones tried to be a walk on the Ravens would probably try to work him out as a long snapper.
    I take it then that you think Lamar should be a Wide Receiver.

If we are gonna list all the misses at QB for the Ravens let’s go ahead and look at how many QBs are drafted every year and how they end up doing.

Specifically who did the Steelers, Browns, and Bengals trot out there and draft to their roster before they found their franchise guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk