Page 60 of 94 FirstFirst ... 5859606162 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Billick said Ravens will Boom or Bust on Lamar

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...e-boom-or-bust

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post

most franchises do when they draft a 1st round qb
    Burn it down

Article from back on Jan 8.

Billick, who coached the Ravens from 1999-2007, raised concerns about whether Jackson can develop into the pocket passer necessary for the Ravens' offense to grow.

"I'm never going to say a guy can't develop. You never know," Billick said on Glenn Clark Radio Jan. 7. "… Based on the last six to seven weeks that I've seen, I have concerns about that, just his throwing action and the lack of accuracy. But that doesn't mean he can't evolve.

"It's the old, do you have an athlete that can throw or do you have a quarterback that's an athlete?" asked Billick. "Right now, I think Lamar Jackson's just a phenomenal athlete that can kind of throw."
    Well, that's just typical. To me this is of a piece with Billick's previously demonstrated mastery of QB evaluation

Let me not be misinterpreted. I respect Billick as a man; and I love him for what he did for Baltimore 1999 to 2003 or so. That includes things after the SB, like: putting the team on Hard Knocks; the astonishingly quick turnaround & competitive team in 2002 after the 2001 roster purge; Jamal 2k and the 2003 playoff appearance; maintaining a succession line of great DCs from Marvin to Mike Nolan to Rexy. He was a gifted administrator, and he was GREAT for our team and our city. Overall a very fine HC.

But, the man absolutely could not find a QB prospect if he fell out of a boat into a sea of Joe Montanas. He has no idea whatsoever what he's looking at in a college QB. I'm not joking one little bit. This is a man who would look at Kyle Boller and Lamar – and choose Boller. This is a man who cut Derek Anderson in training camp so he could keep Boller and Anthony Wright. Not that Anderson is some HOF QB: but he did make the Pro Bowl just two seasons later, when he led Cleveland to the playoffs. CLEVELAND! And he played 13 years in the league. In other words, Anderson wasn't great, but he was a shit-ton better than Boller & Wright.

God! This article takes me right back ~15 years to the parade of awful QBs he churned out year after year with this team. I'm getting pissed off all over again. The fact that Billick can't see Lamar's traits, is so utterly horrifyingly TYPICAL of him. It's fucking 2003 all over again.

I mean. I'm not trying to be an asshole. But honestly, Billick's skepticism of Lamar is if anything reassuring. He probably likes Josh Allen. If Billick thought we got a good one, then we should be worried.

So full of shit. Pull quote from the new interview:

"[Jackson] wasn’t a 60 percent completion guy in college,” Billick said.
    No, Jackson wasn't 60%: he was 59.1% his senior year. That 9/10 of one percent makes all the difference, huh?

Anyway, when the hell did YOU get so interested in college completion pctgs? Your boy Kyle Boller was under 48% for his college career.

Blog Entries

I think his point is that he made the mistake of thinking Boller would improve on that significantly enough at the pro level and that was a mistake on his part. Something he has long acknowledged. Nonetheless, I can understand you calling him out for this Jim.

Blog Entries

OR

... Bc

Bump. Pretty good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Bump. Pretty good read.

I wonder how Tony feels now. There were some pretty assertive answers in that mailbag.

Joe, I hear you and I do feel like Lamar’s limitations will prevent him from being a long-term answer as the team’s starting QB. Perhaps if he fails as a QB, there’s a way to integrate him into the offense throughout his rookie deal that doesn’t require him to be behind center.

Lamar will never be a pocket passer but he can be a threatening signal caller provided he develops in the passing game. There’s a ton of work to be done but when you listen to the players, he’s doing some eye-opening things in practice in the passing game. The challenge will be to move such accomplishments from The Castle on weekdays to The Bank on Sundays.

That said, I don’t see them drafting a QB as early as you suggest this season. I see them bringing back Robert Griffin III for at least another campaign and then prioritize the position in the 2020 NFL Draft based upon Lamar’s progress in 2019. I am a fan of QB’s on rookie contracts. It frees up the cap to surround them with accomplished talent. We’ll see how Eric DeCosta does that this offseason.

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/s...014208000?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by In2deep View Post
    Excellent!!! at least one of the enlightened on here. I see us .500 or below next year ,bottom feeders for sure in the AFC North. Don' worry though , the PC crew will blame the OC, Harbaugh, DC, and anyone else they can point a finger at, but not the QB!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Did you watch the Cleveland game. Baker Mayfield is a promising young NFL quarterback. Lamar is a promising young sandlot athlete. There is a big difference between the two - and its a difference that will never be bridged. However, Lamar is consistent with the Ravens ability to evaluate Quarterback talent.

The Ravens can fool themselves for a couple of years into believing that Lamar's athleticism will eventually translate into success as an NFL quarterback - but they will eventually find themselves back in a time warp - back to April 2008 - pre 2008 draft - LOOKING FOR MR. RIGHT. By that time the Browns will have a couple of AFC North Championship banners hanging in the Dawg Pound - and the Ravens will be back rolling the dice on another Boller/Smith/Flacco/Taylor - as the Bradys/Rogers/Brees slip through their fingers as they have in the past. But - rest assured - the Ravens will have added a couple of more stud run stuffing nose tackles.
    Ah message boards. Thank you for documenting takes like this one.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Ah message boards. Thank you for documenting takes like this one.
    Fun times.