Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 313233
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I agree there similar in as much as both are athletic playmaking QBs whose run threat can be schemed to raise the overall talent of the offense.

Here are the difference I see:

Lamar played in read-option offense with a pro-style passing game.
    Griffin played in a wide open spread zone-read offense with RPOs and simple reads.

Griffin was a straight line speed runner and didn't have a lot of 'make you miss' ability.
    Lamar has speed but he's also very elusive and can make people miss.

I think Lamar is further along in ability to pass from the pocket especially going though reads then Griffin was as rookie BUT Griffin was much more consistent with his mechanics and accuracy.
    This is true. Lamar's ability to make guys miss is pretty incredible.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Well their completion percentages and yards per attempt are nearly identical. I can see that Lamar has more attempts and the game is different than when Stewart played. And I can't speak for Colorado's offense but I assume they were more running back reliant.

I'm okay with your take and disagreement. I though Lamar was most likely a bust when he was drafted. That said only time will tell. ��

Can you explain why it is so easy to ignore the 10% difference in completion rate between RG3 and Lamar when trying to draw a comparison? 10% is a colossal difference. Yes their style of play is similar but they are not close to the same passer. What would be nice is an example of a good NFL QB who improved 10% from college to the pros.
    I think you have to look at a few different things.

1. The talent the guy played with in college.
    2. The type of offense.
    3. The level of competition faced.

RGIII played in Art Briles's spread offense and threw to guys like Josh Gordon, Terrence Williams, and Kendall Wright. All three of those guys have been in the NFL a long time and have had success.

LJ played in a pro-style offense with read-option designed runs. The best guys he threw to in college was Jaylen Smith or James Quick. Quick, I don't believe is currently in the NFL, and Smith may get drafted, but he isn't likely a top tiered WR in the NFL.

I def agree that Lamar has a long way to go to become a good passing QB in the NFL, but I think if you look at where he was last August versus where he was at the end of the season, I see a kid that improved on his footwork, consistency, and accuracy - especially over the middle of the field. If he can keep at it and improve on his out patterns and deep sideline passes, we'll be in business.

Another part of this too is the WR's the Ravens need to get and the WR coach. I like Engram, but one thing that never sat well with me is that our WR's hardly ever break out when the QB is scrambling. Lamar is often continuing to look down the field to make a play and we hardly ever saw guys break off their routes and just get open or get deep. I'd like to see that changed.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    I'm not sure where the record will end up as the team will undergo some transition with having so many free agents. I'm guessing they spend considerable money in free agency to improve the defense by finding a better centerfield replacement for Weddle, replace Suggs/Z Smith, etc. All of this will obviously depend on who we can get in he draft. I suspect they will be looking to trade back in round 1 to recover the #2 that we are missing. I'm still hoping Devin White is available for us to pick....doubt he is

People are saying hat hey expect the Ravens to add players are a better fit or Lamar.... blocking WRs, and better OL and .I thin hey will try to address that....I think they view their defense as the backbone of the team and will spend considerable resources to make it better
    It is no longer a gimmick offense that teams have not seen. The jig is up and Jackson will have to win games with his arm next season. Teams will simply focus on stuffing the run and containing the edges.

To this point, he has not shown he can win games with his arm. So my gut says around 5-11, while 8-8 isn't ideal (no one wants to go .500) it would show that he has significantly improved in that area unless we win every game with scores like 6-3, 7-6, etc.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Coming from a founding member of the fWo, Lamar is not a one read and go QB. He is a traditional pocket passer who just has out of this world escapability and athleticism for a traditional pocket passer. His head isn't the issue.
    Yep I think the comparison is more like a less accurate way more mobile Romo

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDFan View Post
    It is no longer a gimmick offense that teams have not seen. The jig is up and Jackson will have to win games with his arm next season. Teams will simply focus on stuffing the run and containing the edges.

To this point, he has not shown he can win games with his arm. So my gut says around 5-11, while 8-8 isn't ideal (no one wants to go .500) it would show that he has significantly improved in that area unless we win every game with scores like 6-3, 7-6, etc.

I predicted 4-5 wins and took a serious bashing. This team is terrible on the offensive side of the ball on the line and has no Super Stars. Lamar is clearly the most talented offensive players. But I agree that he will quickly have to prove he can pass or we are in for some ugly seasons. That said if you are going to be mediocre you are better off winning no 4-5 instead of 8. Unless you are on the rise like the Browns.

Saw Super Bowl odds next year and we are a bigger long shot than the Brownies.

Browns 25 to 1
    Ravens 33 to 1

Steelers despite all the drama are much better....I think 18 to 1 but please don't quote me on it.