Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Free Agency: FA List

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Ryan Jensen he didn't really seem to fit with TB his contract is such they wouldn't be on the hook for anything nor would we be on the hook should he be cut after next season.

With Flacco contract about to be off the books it should free some money to invest back into the oline. What would it cost a 5th? 6th rounder?

Other guys I'd be interested in Rodger Saffold he's been a major reason why their rushing attack is what it has been.

At Wr I would look to bring in guys who can run the underneath stuff and play to Lamar strengths. I would keep Snead. I would explore signing Jermaine Kerse. Golden Tate.
    The GM who convinced the Bucs owners to give Jensen $22 million in guaranteed money is still there. If he trades Jensen for peanuts after they spent that kind of money just 1 year later he wouldnt keep his job. Even if it’s the right football move to get rid of Jensen, Jason Licht has no choice but to make this work for his own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Nah. Once you resign him to an extension the deal that ‘dead money’ (which is not what it is if youre extending but whatever) you’d be able to prorate that over the extension. So for example, if you redo his deal as a 4 year/28m, as I already stated, you’d be able to spread the remaining dead over 4 years or about 1.6 a year. Give him 5.5m in guaranteed salary in year one and that is a 7.1m cap hit. Then next year a guaranteed 8m and then after that no more guarantees and the only ramifications of cutting him would be the remaining 3.2 in previously paid guarantees. So in a nutshell, yes it actually is entirely plausible to get Smiths cap hit to 7ish this year.

Question is whether Smith would be willing to take a pay cut this season, that would be guaranteed, to guarantee a very good salary for 2020. Hard to say, depends what people think his market is. I dont think you can keep him at the current cap hit however.
    Are you sure about that. Jimmy has signing bonus and restructure money in 2019 that make up the dead money. I don't think you can touch those cap hits. Extending him would only allow you to take the non guaranteed base money and convert it to bonus money and spread it out over the remaining years. I don't think there is any way to lessen his dead money in 2019. I think he is going to count a minimum of 6.3m against the 2019 cap no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Are you sure about that. Jimmy has signing bonus and restructure money in 2019 that make up the dead money. I don't think you can touch those cap hits. Extending him would only allow you to take the non guaranteed base money and convert it to bonus money and spread it out over the remaining years. I don't think there is any way to lessen his dead money in 2019. I think he is going to count a minimum of 6.3m against the 2019 cap no matter what.
    Which really isn't the end of the world IMO.

I just dont see a lot of places to spend the money this year.

I'd like to think we sign one impact FA, but I doubt we do.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Let Mosley and Za Walk. Cutt Weddle. Sign clowney.
    Burn it down

I read somewhere that 9 of the last 10 probowlers the ravens have drafted ended up resigning so if history is any indicator Mosely will be here next year. I was okay with letting him walk but I've change my mind. He's been inconsistent but an overall solid player and leader for us on that side of the ball. He's not easily replaceable. I don't think Chuck Clark and Peanuts are ready to step in where Mosely leaves off.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Why you so mean?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I read somewhere that 9 of the last 10 probowlers the ravens have drafted ended up resigning so if history is any indicator Mosely will be here next year. I was okay with letting him walk but I've change my mind. He's been inconsistent but an overall solid player and leader for us on that side of the ball. He's not easily replaceable. I don't think Chuck Clark and Peanuts are ready to step in where Mosely leaves off.
    It's kind of like this.... I fully expect the Ravens to retain Mosley. I think what they're doing is letting him look at the market so they can sign him to a fair price... for them. That... is my hope.

Clowney is overrated for the money he will get

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Clowney is overrated for the money he will get
    I agree.

He has played 16 games once in 5 years.

He's never had more than 10 sacks in a season.
    4 total forced fumbles in his career.

He's good against the run, but the sack and turnover numbers would ideally by higher if you're paying big dollars.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    It’s not dead money unless you cut or trade him, it’s money that has been paid to him that has to hit the cap at some point, which is why all of the 6.3ish hits if you cut or trade him. I don’t like the term dead money because it seems to give the wrong connotation for what it is. If you extend him then you can then spread that money over the rest of the extension.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I agree.

He has played 16 games once in 5 years.

He's never had more than 10 sacks in a season.
    4 total forced fumbles in his career.

He's good against the run, but the sack and turnover numbers would ideally by higher if you're paying big dollars.
    He also had micro fracture surgery earlier in his career and that worries me about his longevity. If youre going big game hunting I think there are better options.

Ford obviously very enticing if available. If McCoy gets released then that’s a name you gotta look at, as painful as it is knowing you’re already paying BWill, particularly if they don’t retain Smith. Need that interior rush.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I want to keep one of Mosely or Smith, and it seems that Smith is more likely at this point. Fine with cutting Weddle because beyond his play tailing off the past two years we’ve seen a weaker safety market with a lot of good names on it the past two years. I think I’d like to see them grab one of those guys. What’s up with Landon Collins? Was an all pro and now guys talking about him being a free agent? That’s a guy I’d look at.