Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: What Jags fans say about possibly getting Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Of course hes going to talk up guys that have already been drafted by us whether it was his pick or ozzie. We'll talk up our very last draft pick if questioned it's just PR
    And it's just speculation to think he wasn't totally on board with the picks beforehand...we'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionHero View Post
    Flacco has been in the 20-30 range in QB rating every year. He's a below average starting QB by pretty much any metric you want to use... we've only raised him higher then that because he won us a Super Bowl and he's been our guy.

Some of it is homerism. Some of it is something else.

If the goal is to compile offensive statistics then Flacco is below average; and he was a failure as a QB.

But what if the Ravens never intended to be the 1999 Rams? What if the goal was more modest: have him make chicken salad out of (ahem)? And what if the only metric that mattered to the franchise is win-loss record? Is he in the 20-30 range there too?

Flacco can’t be faulted for failing to reach a goal that was never set.

While other teams were building offenses around their QBs, the Ravens were building a complementary team with Flacco being an important puzzle piece. That approach never accumulates statistics. And, unfortunately for the Ravens, busts like Perriman and Williams, and very-good-but-not-impact players like Mosley and Smith, mean the team hasn't played complementary football all that well. Consequently, the metric that matters most has been rather mediocre these last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post

Some of it is homerism. Some of it is something else.

If the goal is to compile offensive statistics then Flacco is below average; and he was a failure as a QB.

But what if the Ravens never intended to be the 1999 Rams? What if the goal was more modest: have him make chicken salad out of (ahem)? And what if the only metric that mattered to the franchise is win-loss record? Is he in the 20-30 range there too?

Flacco can’t be faulted for failing to reach a goal that was never set.

While other teams were building offenses around their QBs, the Ravens were building a complementary team with Flacco being an important puzzle piece. That approach never accumulates statistics. And, unfortunately for the Ravens, busts like Perriman and Williams, and very-good-but-not-impact players like Mosley and Smith, mean the team hasn't played complementary football all that well. Consequently, the metric that matters most has been rather mediocre these last few years.
    Whos to say any other average QB thrown onto a team built around defense would be any worse though? We literally just threw a rookie 21 year old onto the starting job and he won because of the defense helping him. I don't really think it means much for Flacco that he "Won", all it meant is he didn't LOSE us the games. And saying a guy isn't a loser isn't really high praise.

We'll get a true #1 at a skill position now that we will be in a good cap situation
    Have to be a running back , because no #1 wide receiver is coming to play with Lamar, career suicide

Blog Entries

There are several problems with this line of thinking.

The Ravens had 11/2 season where we had a competent OC. It was Kubiak and Caldwell. None of there ex-OCs have resurfaced anywhere else and I'd bet money against Mornhinweg getting a new role anytime soon.

Our offensive line has been poor at pass blocking for many season. If you look at the PFF ratings Stanley is a huge disappointment based on where he was selected. The rest of the line was mediocre at best with the exception of Yanda. James Hurst and Skura are not NFL players
    And Lewis and Brown Jr need massive improvement. Several times we let our good budding lineman leave to collected comp picks.

Finally Joe hasn't had a backfield performer since Ray Rice and has never thrown to a legit one receiver.

Blame certainly falls on Joe but the majority falls on Harbaugh and Newsome imo.

I'm hoping Joe goes somewhere with a talented OC and supporting cast. I think the Ravens fans that seem to be low on him will regret his departure

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Boldin was an all time great Raven, but he was only a #1 WR for a very brief time in Arizona, and it was when he was very young
    Straight up truth. If we had that Anquan Boldin, then I could understand their argument. However, I think if we actually had that young Anquan Boldin with Flacco he'd probably have at least another Superbowl. People just have their rose tinted glasses on in that respect concerning Boldin. Funny though how they have a completely polar opposite view of Joe Flacco.

And I'm okay with him moving on, but let's not shit on the dude knowing what he went through here. Like someone else said, all his best receivers were on the wrong side of 30 or pretty close. He was carrying us to the playoffs with Derek Mason as his number one man. And let's not even get into all the different coordinators he had thrown his way. People just love to hate that dude for some reason. That's why they better hope to God that Lamar Jackson works out. To play Devil's Advocate though, I almost wouldn't mind seeing the Ravens go through the torture of looking for another QB. Just to show or remind some of these Ravens fans how much worse it has beem & could be. Maybe help them remember where they came from instead of getting all uppity and shit.

Crazy how quickly we forget how long we were lost in the woods at that position. You can go ball wash all these other quarterbacks all you want while crapping on the man, but name one of them (outside of maybe Brady) went on that long without any real offensive talent around them. Hell, even Bortles & Tannenhill had more talent thrown at their feet. Just look at how quickly people here were groveling at some of the receivers they had feet when they hit free agency. People were ready to go burn the castle down for not mortgaging a good part of the Ravens future for Landry & ready to have Ozzy checked for dementia for not "doing whatever it takes" to "kick the tires" on Dez fucking Bryant.

Question the organization sure, but how is that sort of stuff Flacco's fault? He doesn't go out there and sign these cats to contracts or draft them. We can blame Joe for some of his bone head decisions in games, robotic demeanor/not having "fire" or whatever. However, some things we're just beyond his control.

Blog Entries

Flacco is going to leave, and the message board still wants the following aspects of the offense significantly improved:

Coaching
    Drafting
    Offensive line
    Wide Receivers
    Running Backs.

That tells me all I need to know. It’d be one thing if all of those things were above average and Flacco were holding them back. But he’ll be gone and we’ll still want significant upgrades to everything listed.

Joe is who he is at this point, take it or leave it. He’s a far better quarterback than what they’ve had down there at any rate

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Flacco is going to leave, and the message board still wants the following aspects of the offense significantly improved:

Coaching
    Drafting
    Offensive line
    Wide Receivers
    Running Backs.

That tells me all I need to know. It’d be one thing if all of those things were above average and Flacco were holding them back. But he’ll be gone and we’ll still want significant upgrades to everything listed.
    Flacco isn't even gone yet, give it time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

Coaching
    Drafting
    Offensive line
    Wide Receivers
    Running Backs.

RB/WR get even more difficult with Jackson here. No high profile free agent receiver is coming here to block for Lamar. No star RB is coming here to split carries with him either!

That leaves it to drafting and unless DeCosta changes the organizational approach they have a track record of picking zeros for WR.

Flacco isn't even gone yet, give it time.
    LaCanfora was posting something about the jags consider trading for him. Doesnt make sense to me, just let him get cut and sign him to a 2 year deal
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    RB/WR get even more difficult with Jackson here. No high profile free agent receiver is coming here to block for Lamar. No star RB is coming here to split carries with him either!

That leaves it to drafting and unless DeCosta changes the organizational approach they have a track record of picking zeros for WR.
    Money talks, the front office has to decide if they will prioritize the offense at some point.
    Burn it down