Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Chargers just changed how the NFL plays defense (How they beat the Ravens)

Pretty much lays out how the Chargers beat the Ravens run game. Also lays out how Lamar isn't ready to execute the passing game. Even more mind boggling how the Ravens didn't adjust and change. The passing game with Flacco was so obviously needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrR7pcRGQNo

Blog Entries

Re: The Chargers just changed how the NFL plays defense (How they beat the Ravens)

No one can argue that the line played bad. However, Lamar was definitely holding the ball too long and gun shy on several occasions. He also missed some open guys. It was so bad that, not only could Flacco have just thrown checkdowns and been a vast improvement, but Rivers resigned himself to just throwing checkdowns, because that’s all they needed and with one deep play thrown in they were still up by twenty.

Re: The Chargers just changed how the NFL plays defense (How they beat the Ravens)

They played 2 defenses against us and we didn't really adjust.

When we did adjust Lamar missed the reads or the throws.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    No one can argue that the line played bad. However, Lamar was definitely holding the ball too long and gun shy on several occasions. He also missed some open guys. It was so bad that, not only could Flacco have just thrown checkdowns and been a vast improvement, but Rivers resigned himself to just throwing checkdowns, because that’s all they needed and with one deep play thrown in they were still up by twenty.
    The video agrees the line was bad, but also says Lamar made things much worse buy his footwork and by not letting the ball go on obvious throws. It's even more mind boggling how Flacco was left on the bench. They were never going to win this game with Lamar. Everyone in the stadium could sense it. Hence the boos and the frustration. "He's the one that got us here" is such a piss poor excuse for leaving Joe on the bench in a playoff game. How about Joe's 11 years of dedication to the team and winning us a Super Bowl? Doesn't that deserve consideration? After seeing this video I'm even more pissed at Harbaugh.

From Reddit

Not all that hard to figure out. If they want to play that way then stop calling for frilly, misdirection heavy run plays and just smash it up the middle - and whenever we did that with Gus we had some success. When they inevitably have to do something to counter that, then having safetys up near the LOS makes them vulnerable to passes in the deep middle; a playaction pass about 15 yds up the field to a TE would be practically unstoppable.

There's nothing special or innovative about what they did, hence why they're going to completely abandon it against the Patriots. There's a reason why this type of defense isn't used, you have to have 6 competent safties and multiple elite edge rushers to even try it, most teams don't have either of these qualifiers, let alone both - and even with both, that defense is far from perfect and could be exploited heavily. Against any other team with a competent OC that defense is vulnerable to a lot. Credit to them, they had the balls to go with it and gamble on Mornhinweg not making any adjustments and they were right, hence why Marty is no longer in Baltimore.
    Its not that revolutionary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    From Reddit

Its not that revolutionary.
    They Lamar couldn't throw so they were never in danger of getting exploited on the backend. Being at the game, I could see they had one safety deep and lots of green around him. I couldn't understand why the Ravens were insisting on running the same plays and not throwing down the middle or the edges. But the issue was Lamar couldn't do it anyway. smh

At least they got rid of Marty M. Someone had to be let go over the fiaso.

Blog Entries

I doubt they would have played that coverage with Flacco in. Which could have opened up the run a little more as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I doubt they would have played that coverage with Flacco in. Which could have opened up the run a little more as well.
    The drive after the Mosely fumble recovery was the time the bring Flacco in. They obviously weren't letting Lamar throw (so why even have him out there). The score was 12-0 and still plenty of time to get two scores. But they really needed a TD on that drive. EPIC FAIL John Harbaugh. He needed to do what was necessary to win at that moment.

Blog Entries

I've seen college teams play 7 dbs before - or a 2-2 7, whatever you want to call it. But have to admit that's the first time I saw it in pros

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've seen college teams play 7 dbs before - or a 2-2 7, whatever you want to call it. But have to admit that's the first time I saw it in pros
    Clearly it was the first time Marty M saw it as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Pretty much lays out how the Chargers beat the Ravens run game. Also lays out how Lamar isn't ready to execute the passing game. Even more mind boggling how the Ravens didn't adjust and change. The passing game with Flacco was so obviously needed.
    I don't deny some of your assumptions here. However, don't take this wrong, but I think you're being a MMQB. Did you criticize our offense when Flacco went down then LJ took the Ravens to a 6 - 1 record and a playoff berth. Something we hadn't seen in four years.
    Fantasy land = LJ throws a long TD pass and we beat the Chargers 24 - 23, and we're all partying in the streets. The saying is true "success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan."
    ... Bc

Blog Entries

Like I said. When you face a high school offense, you think like a high school defense. Those type of formations are very prevalent in high school defense.