Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Dog Owner Question

In the State of Maryland, if you own a dog and, while you are out one night, someone breaks into your home and the dog attacks the intruder, killing the intruder, will you be 'forced' to have the dog euthanized?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Dog Owner Question

Damn good question. I’ve had dogs all my adult life and can’t say I’ve ever asked that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did someone break into your house while you were out?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Did someone break into your house while you were out?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    No. I read some articles about it and I am ready for more dogs (Haven’t has one in about four years). However, especially given my psychological issues, I don’t want to put myself in a situation where something like that happens and I’m told that I have to have the dog euthanized.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In the State of Maryland, if you own a dog and, while you are out one night, someone breaks into your home and the dog attacks the intruder, killing the intruder, will you be 'forced' to have the dog euthanized?
    I have no idea what the law says, but I would hope not, but living in MD, it would not surprise me at all. It may help your case if you at least have a sign outside saying beware of the dog.

Based on THIS I would say no.
    I would definitely post "Beware of Dog" and "No Trespassing" signs on your property if you think your dog may be capable or is trained to do what you're questioning just to maybe cover your bases.
    There are plenty of businesses that leave guard dogs within their premises over night to protect their interests and I don't ever recall hearing about one being put down for doing its job.

Not sure what type of dog you're looking for but I would certainly consider a rescue dog if the primary goal is for a pet to love.
    I volunteer for a rescue that's out of Westminster so let me know if you have any interest and I'll steer you to their site.
    I have two dogs out of this rescue as well as helping two members on this forum adopt dogs through this rescue.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Based on THIS I would say no.
    I would definitely post "Beware of Dog" and "No Trespassing" signs on your property if you think your dog may be capable or is trained to do what you're questioning just to maybe cover your bases.
    There are plenty of businesses that leave guard dogs within their premises over night to protect their interests and I don't ever recall hearing about one being put down for doing its job.

Not sure what type of dog you're looking for but I would certainly consider a rescue dog if the primary goal is for a pet to love.
    I volunteer for a rescue that's out of Westminster so let me know if you have any interest and I'll steer you to their site.
    I have two dogs out of this rescue as well as helping two members on this forum adopt dogs through this rescue.
    Good deal Fan. My better half volunteers at the Harford County SPCA. All of my fur babies are rescues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Good deal Fan. My better half volunteers at the Harford County SPCA. All of my fur babies are rescues.

We own 2 rescue cats (brother and sister). The owner of their mom wanted to kill her when she got pregnant. Luckily, a rescue shelter in WV got involved and rescued the mom and she gave birth to 5 kittens. All have homes. I don't understand how some people can be so cavalier and cruel to animals...

9. Re: Dog Owner Question

From my experience, I know of no laws where an owner would be held liable for that when the claimant is alleged to have been in the act of committing a crime or abusing/tormenting the dog, while the dog was on your property. It gets a little fuzzier when the dog is off your property, but generally, it's the same.

Blog Entries

Thank you all for the information. Some of you have some insight into my issues. I LOVE animals. I'm not quite recovered enough from my injuries to take on the responsibility full-time, but I would hope that, at some point, I could. My main concern is that, God forbid, someone break in and the dog kills them. To have legal personnel come tell me that I have to have my dog put down, as any dog lover would understand, would not go over very well at all. Frankly, if someone tried to take my dog from me, it would get violent. I don't want to put myself in that situation. I just thought that I'd toss the question out on the forum, since there's people from many different walks of life here. I will try to read up on it in the future.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Thank you all for the information. Some of you have some insight into my issues. I LOVE animals. I'm not quite recovered enough from my injuries to take on the responsibility full-time, but I would hope that, at some point, I could. My main concern is that, God forbid, someone break in and the dog kills them. To have legal personnel come tell me that I have to have my dog put down, as any dog lover would understand, would not go over very well at all. Frankly, if someone tried to take my dog from me, it would get violent. I don't want to put myself in that situation. I just thought that I'd toss the question out on the forum, since there's people from many different walks of life here. I will try to read up on it in the future.
    Actually Sword ...a dog may be just what you need brother. People suffering from PTSD get service dogs for a reason. They help restore trust and bring a sense of calm to their humans. I just got the wife a pup to help with hers. That’s also part of the reason she volunteers at the shelter. Dogs give unconditional love man. In a lot of ways ...dogs are better than people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Actually Sword ...a dog may be just what you need brother. People suffering from PTSD get service dogs for a reason. They help restore trust and bring a sense of calm to their humans. I just got the wife a pup to help with hers. That’s also part of the reason she volunteers at the shelter. Dogs give unconditional love man. In a lot of ways ...dogs are better than people.

Well, it certainly wouldn't be my first dog. I've had three. I would love to get a rescue, but I just don't like having to cut their nuts off. That bothers me, but I know it's prerequisite for shelters, that you agree to do it.