Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 NFL starting QBs who are not as good as Kaepernick

Kaep finished '16 with these stats:

NFL passer rating: 90.7
    ESPN's QBR: 49.5
    PFR's ANY/A: 5.92

Listen, I agree with you: no stat perfectly captures everything about QB performance. Passer rating ignores sacks & fumbles. ANY/A ignores fumbles (I think?). Who the hell knows what QBR tracks & ignores.

BUT! Let's don't pretend those stats are completely useless either. The right guys tend to be at the top & bottom of those lists. If you're gaining yards on pass attempts, throwing TDs and avoiding picks, then you're going to be high in passer rating. If you're not doing those things, you're going to be low in passer rating. And so forth. Those stats between them capture most of what can be captured. If you're playing great, it tends to leave a statistical trace. If you're sucking ass, it tends to leave a statistical trace.

These guys below have been sucking ass, one way or another. Each is under one of the Kaep thresholds this season, in at least one (maybe all three) of those stats:

Rosen
    Darnold
    Trubisky
    Baker
    Danny Dimes
    Fitzmajick
    Red Rifle
    Joe Flacco
    Kyle Allen
    Josh Allen
    Mariota
    Jameis
    Tannehill
    Goff
    Minshew
    Case Keenum
    Bridgewater
    Kyler

Brian Hoyer was great in relief of Brissett on Sunday: but man, Indy is awfully thin now. Likewise Brandon Allen & the Broncos.

We all understand that when you have a first-round rookie or 2nd-yr player, you give him playing time even though he's bad at first, so he develops. You want to hasten the time when he's ready to lead you to a championship. I get it. I'm not saying Kyler should be benched for an aging veteran: nor Darnold, Baker, Daniel Jones, Josh Allen. Of course not.

But Trubisky? 37yo Fitz? Please.

Re: 2019 NFL starting QBs who are not as good as Kaepernick

The last thing the world needs is another Keapernick thread.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Not if it's a good one!

I am one of the biggest Kaepernick supporters there is and honestly I couldn't agree more at this point.

This is not the setting for productive discourse on (or anywhere near) this topic. It never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    This is not the setting for productive discourse on (or anywhere near) this topic. It never will be.
    Sadly, nowhere seems to be.

I will say: I think this year has got to be pretty much it. Dude's 32, and has been out of football for 3 seasons. I don't think I could credibly claim next offseason that he belongs on a roster. If indeed it was still credible this past offseason.

The last thing a thread that isn't needed needs is responses. Seems to be a common trend here for guys to respond to threads that they feel are unnecessary and therefore giving it the pulse they feel it shouldn't have.
    Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Luke 12:24

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Sadly, nowhere seems to be.

I will say: I think this year has got to be pretty much it. Dude's 32, and has been out of football for 3 seasons. I don't think I could credibly claim next offseason that he belongs on a roster. If indeed it was still credible this past offseason.
    As it currently stands, you can't even give an accurate measure of how good he is because of how long he has been out of football making your original premise pretty much vain.
    Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Luke 12:24

Dude's 32, and has been out of football for 3 seasons. I don't think I could credibly claim next offseason that he belongs on a roster. If indeed it was still credible this past offseason.
    You could say similar for Ray Rice. 32 and out of ball for 3 seasons. There are plenty of bad RBs out there that he may be better than (assuming he's stayed in shape, I have no idea). And I would argue it is probably easier for an in-shape RB to step back into the game than a QB just because of the mental requirements of QB and the higher skill required to make all the throws vs run the ball.

But no one is signing someone out of the league that long who brings baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    As it currently stands, you can't even give an accurate measure of how good he is because of how long he has been out of football making your original premise pretty much vain.
    Fair.

For the sake of argument, I'll go by his (or his agent's?) declaration from a few wks ago, that he's fit and ready to go. Obviously that's "unproven", to put it politely. But y'know, the reason we don't have any contradictory info is that no team's even worked him out.

I look at that list and say wow Thank God for Lamar

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Question Re: 2019 NFL starting QBs who are not as good as Kaepernick

Can't we move on from Colin Kaepernick?

... Bc

Blog Entries

Fair.

For the sake of argument, I'll go by his (or his agent's?) declaration from a few wks ago, that he's fit and ready to go. Obviously that's "unproven", to put it politely. But y'know, the reason we don't have any contradictory info is that no team's even worked him out.
    Never seen an agent over-hype their client. So I agree with you regarding his agents take.