Blog Entries

Bargain Shopping

Bargain shopping is something that every team likes to benefit from. However, not every team, or unit for said team, does to successfully. There is one common theme I have noticed, with when it works, compared to when it doesn't. Whether it be through Free Agency, mid-late round picks or UDFAs, bargain shopping tends to work when there is a sound foundation with strong structural support.

Throughout the 2000s, the Baltimore Ravens were able to successful bargain shop in certain areas along the defense. However, they didn't bargain shop to form the foundation of the defense. For the majority of the decade, the team had strength right up the middle. From Defensive Tackle to Inside Linebacker, to safety. There was a brief period when Ray Lewis wasn't thrilled with the Defensive Tackle play. Thus, paving the way for Haloti Ngata to be drafted. Outside of that, I mean, they had strength in the middle, Ray for the entire decade and, even before Reed was drafted, they had Rod Woodson at Safety. It reached a point, as time progressed, that with this foundation, they were able to bargain shop around it. Even going farther into Harbaugh's tenure. The Safety beside Ed Reed just had to play his assignment. The Linebacker beside Ray just had to take on blockers. Ray would tell them where they needed to be if they didn't know. So, you saw the success of those mid-late round picks at Safety, based on what they needed, and you saw even more success from the Linebackers beside Lewis.

In New England, they can bargain shop for slot WRs, because they have a specific profile for the responsibilities their slot guys have. That profile doesn't lend itself to every team in the league. So, they can take a guy who wouldn't catch on in most offenses, and fit him in. The foundation of how they want to run their offense is there and every role is defined.

This is just something that came to mind and seemed like an idea for a thread. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can understand bargain shopping, but that you can't bargain shop everywhere. Especially, when you don't have that foundation. That foundation could be a proven system and QB who runs said system extremely well, such as in New England. It could be strong talent that can do far more than their positions usually require, allowing you to fit in pieces around them and give them rather basic responsibilities. However it is, you need that identity and you need that foundation.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Bargain Shopping

There are too many good young draft picks (not great, I know) on this team for the Ravens to worry about bargain shopping. They'll have more cap room than in a long time unless they keep all of the high priced vets. This would be the time to go get a small number of major improvements.

Re: Bargain Shopping

You can't pay for every position in this league. You must prioritize needs and draft well.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."