Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"If you were starting a team..."

It's a question we hear every year (listening to it being discussed on talk radio right now). If you were starting a team from scratch, which young QB would you take?

I was wondering if that question is posed on message boards for every team in the league, what would the national fan consensus be about Lamar? How many young quarterbacks would fans rank ahead of him when it comes to future promise...and how many would Lamar edge out?

For reference, here are the 13 starting QBs still on their first contract:

Josh Allen
    Sam Darnold
    Jared Goff
    Lamar Jackson
    Patrick Mahomes
    Baker Mayfield
    Marcus Mariota
    Josh Rosen
    Dak Prescott
    Mitchell Trubisky
    Deshaun Watson
    Carson Wentz
    Jameis Winston

Personally, I probably put Lamar right in the middle but I really don't know what the national, novice point of view is. That is, how would fans weigh where Lamar was drafted (5th QB taken), his limited starts, the fact that he is a seen as a runner more than a passer (sustainable?)...versus a 6-1 rookie with unique skills that got his team into the playoffs (it factor)?

Which of these guys lands ahead of Lamar?
    Last edited by Shas; 01-03-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added Goff and Mariota, thank you OC21

Blog Entries

Re: "If you were starting a team..."

My list would be:

Mahomes
    Mayfield
    Watson
    Wentz
    Prescott
    Trubisky
    Jackson
    Darnold
    Allen
    Rosen
    Winston

But I will say the jury is still way out on all the rookies this year except Mayfield, who I think is going to be great for a long time.

Winston is probably a better QB right now than the four rookies ahead of him, but I would never choose him to lead my franchise.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    It's a question we hear every year (listening to it being discussed on talk radio right now). If you were starting a team from scratch, which young QB would you take?

I was wondering if that question is posed on message boards for every team in the league, what would the national fan consensus be about Lamar? How many young quarterbacks would fans rank ahead of him when it comes to future promise...and how many would edge out Lamar?

For reference, here are the eleven starting QBs still on their first contract:

Josh Allen
    Sam Darnold
    Lamar Jackson
    Patrick Mahomes
    Baker Mayfield
    Josh Rosen
    Dak Prescott
    Mitchell Trubisky
    Deshaun Watson
    Carson Wentz
    Jameis Winston

Personally, I probably put Lamar right in the middle but I really don't know what the national, novice point of view is. That is, how would fans weigh where Lamar was drafted (5th QB taken), his limited starts, the fact that he is a seen as a runner more than a passer (sustainable?)...versus a 6-1 rookie with unique skills that got his team into the playoffs (it factor)?

I know I would take Mahomes first.

1st Mahomes
    Tie for 2nd Wentz, Watson
    big drop off

4th Mayfield
    5th Prescott
    6th Trubisky
    7th Lamar
    8th Darnold
    9th Allen
    10th Rosen

Not interested - Winston

This is right NOW. Too early though as Darnold, Allen, Rosen and LJ all have the potential to cleary move up list or down and off list.

Mahomes is the no-brainer with Wentz/Watson not far behind.

4. Re: "If you were starting a team..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

I was wondering if that question is posed on message boards for every team in the league, what would the national fan consensus be about Lamar? How many young quarterbacks would fans rank ahead of him when it comes to future promise...and how many would edge out Lamar?

For reference, here are the eleven starting QBs still on their first contract:

Josh Allen
    Sam Darnold
    Lamar Jackson
    Patrick Mahomes
    Baker Mayfield
    Josh Rosen
    Dak Prescott
    Mitchell Trubisky
    Deshaun Watson
    Carson Wentz
    Jameis Winston

No Goff? And if you're counting Winston, shouldn't Mariota be here too?

I'm going to slot Baker and Lamar together. They're both clearly ahead of the other rookies, and players like Winston, Mariota, and Dak don't move the needle for me. I'm glad I don't have to decide to sign any of them to a long-term deal. Wentz has some serious injury concerns now. I definitely wasn't a Trub believer, but maybe Nagy does enough to help him. That leaves Mahomes, Goff, and Watson. They're my top tier. Lamar, Baker, Wentz, and Trub slot into my 2nd tier. The rest can go into tier 3 and stay there.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    No Goff? And if you're counting Winston, shouldn't Mariota be here too?

I'm going to slot Baker and Lamar together. They're both clearly ahead of the other rookies, and players like Winston, Mariota, and Dak don't move the needle for me. I'm glad I don't have to decide to sign any of them to a long-term deal. Wentz has some serious injury concerns now. I definitely wasn't a Trub believer, but maybe Nagy does enough to help him. That leaves Mahomes, Goff, and Watson. They're my top tier. Lamar, Baker, Wentz, and Trub slot into my 2nd tier. The rest can go into tier 3 and stay there.
    I think the quality of team helps LJ and Baker but hurts Darnold, Rosen and Allen. Darnold came on strong after his injury- completing like 65% of his passes (6 TD to 1 INT) in last 4 games. I think he is going to be a solid QB. They have little talent around him.

Mahomes
    Goff
    Watson
    Wentz
    Mayfield
    Trubinsky
    Darnold
    Jackson
    Mariota
    Prescott
    Allen
    Rosen
    Winston

Wentz would be #2 on the list but for the injuries.

If I had my own franchise I would want my own franchise quarterback, and I don't think running quarterbacks are best suited to be guys you can expect to play for you for 10 or more years. I'll make an exception for Watson because he's proven himself to have a pretty good arm.
    Last edited by Tommy_Carcetti; 01-03-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    My list would be:

Mahomes
    Mayfield
    Watson
    Wentz
    Prescott
    Trubisky
    Jackson
    Darnold
    Allen
    Rosen
    Winston

But I will say the jury is still way out on all the rookies this year except Mayfield, who I think is going to be great for a long time.

Winston is probably a better QB right now than the four rookies ahead of him, but I would never choose him to lead my franchise.
    Almost the same.

Mahomes
    Mayfield
    Watson
    Wentz
    Jackson
    Prescott
    Darnold
    Trubisky
    Allen
    Rosen
    Winston

Blog Entries

Mahomes without a doubt. Dude beat us and didn't even see where the ball was going, 6th sense...

My list:

Patrick Mahomes
    Baker Mayfield
    Carson Wentz
    Deshaun Watson
    Mitchell Trubisky
    Sam Darnold
    Lamar Jackson
    Dak Prescott
    Jameis Winston
    Josh Allen
    Josh Rosen
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

If I was starting a team, it would have only one Raven on it.............Who do you think that would be?

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    If I was starting a team, it would have only one Raven on it.............Who do you think that would be?
    Are you asking about the one Raven on your team? Or who we'd pick?

The answer to both questions is Lamar Jackson.

I'd for sure go with Mahommes, that kid is special and on another level right now.

I'd honestly put Goff next, now it may be Mcvay and or the roster around him but I watched probably 3 or 4 of their games this year and he looks great, especially in that KC game.

Third for me would be close between Watson Lamar and Baker but I'll go Lamar just because I'm a homer.

I can't recall another time when there were so many talented young quarterbacks. The league truly is changing from the idea years ago that rookie QBs had to sit for 3 years. As much as the nfl doesn't get right and has watered down the game in many ways, that is one thing they have going right now.