A tale of 2 teams, decisions for the future could be wrong if not taking this into account

Let's face it,

The future of this team, from HC to Coordinators to assistants is a huge unknown. What we do know is that all of the above has their job hanging on by a thread. Many feel it's playoffs or bust for the staff, and doesn't even begin to address the players. This mindset, playoffs or bust (rebuild) is flawed, big time. This year is NOT the same as 16' or 17', and making these critical future decisions looking at 2018 as one year, one team isn't the way to go.

What we are witnessing is one of the most impressive midseason overhauls in NFL history.

This is not the Harbaugh Ravens of the first half of the year, this is our new team, and from most honest observers, it is heading in the right direction.

Taking emotion and past disappointment out of any analysis, you can't help but wonder if blowing everything up would be a monumental mistake. I have always doubted MM and Pees, but mostly Harbaugh. That was with the Flacco lead Ravens. This is not a bash on Joe, but maybe the problem with both Joe was that this staff and team isn't and hasn't been right for Flacco. I hear ya Sword!

HOWEVER,

It looks like it's a perfect match going forward. My mind is changing. I honestly didn't think I would ever want Harbs and Marty back, but now this is by all accounts, a new team and one headed by a rookie QB having success none of us saw coming. The Team, right now, is only a few key players away from a solid contender if the coaching staff continues to develop Lamar.

You should realize that this season had 2 different teams

Re: A tale of 2 teams, decisions for the future could be wrong if not taking this into account

We’ll see after this week.

Only good team that we played under our “new” team, we lost to. Granted we nearly beat them, but this ain’t horseshoes, fellas.

Tomorrow will be the true test to see if this “new” team really is an improved one.

Re: A tale of 2 teams, decisions for the future could be wrong if not taking this into account

(QUOTE) It looks like it's a perfect match going forward. My mind is changing. I honestly didn't think I would ever want Harbs and Marty back, but now this is by all accounts, a new team and one headed by a rookie QB having success none of us saw coming. The Team, right now, is only a few key players away from a solid contender if the coaching staff continues to develop Lamar. (QUOTE)

The only problem with this is that the coaches (if left to their own devces) will continue (with absolute fanatical dedication) to put SQUARE pegs into ROUND holes. The proof of that pudding is clearly demonstrated in the first half of the two recent Lamar games where they tried to make Lamar a poor mans pocket passing clone of Joe Flacco. It wasn't until they dug themselves a sufficiently deep hole that they decided to let Lamar be Lamar in order to get out of it. Fortunately in these two particular games they were successful.

If left in charge of the candy store (without the threat of removal - a benefit of a contract renewal or extension) they will "f..k" Lamar up just like they have most of the other draft picks they've made.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    We’ll see after this week.

Only good team that we played under our “new” team, we lost to. Granted we nearly beat them, but this ain’t horseshoes, fellas.

Tomorrow will be the true test to see if this “new” team really is an improved one.
    While you're right, and Bill Parcells said, “you are what your record says you are”, it was still a semi-accomplishment to lose to the Saints by one (missed extra point) and taking the Chiefs to OT in K.C. Our team has unfortunately fallen short the last two years and is on the brink now. The good news is we've got a new QB who has running skills that are unmatched at his position, and he brings an excitement we haven't seen in a long time. Yes, Saturday will make a statement about the Ravens. Hopefully one that can have us enjoy Sunday's games with a ... Bc

Good point. It's why this is such a transformative decision looming.

Marty still worried me. The lack of more RPOs is mind boggling as well as his usual in game head scratchers.

Maybe replace him, promote or hire, and keep Wink

Blog Entries

It's tough for me to say (Comedic tirade in the other thread aside). I feel like the way Harbaugh wants to play, lends itself to rarely being out of a game. So, I could see them putting together some wins with this offense in a slightly evolved form.

The problem, is that if the evolution doesn't go as hoped, I don't think Harbaugh would hesitate to revert back to this current model, because it speaks to the core of what he wants to do. I don't think that would be the best thing for Lamar Jackson long-term. So, if you are a fan unconcerned with Jackson being run into the ground and taking on another QB search in the near future, I could see where retaining Coach Harbaugh is a tolerable option.

If you want what's best for Lamar, I'm still not convinced that the current regime is right for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Good point. It's why this is such a transformative decision looming.

Marty still worried me. The lack of more RPOs is mind boggling as well as his usual in game head scratchers.

Maybe replace him, promote or hire, and keep Wink
    Roman OC, Martindale DC... but the problem there is, if you bring in a new HC he should be allowed to pick his own assistants. So that adds leverage for Harbs.

This new offense is a very limited ceiling offense. It’s ball control, keep away football. Your defense must play flawlessly. You can’t turn the ball over. It looks a lot like the 2000 game plan. Run the ball. Score a td or fg. Punt a lot. Punt some more. Wait for the defense to give you a short field for a fg try.

We have a game plan that can score 17-21 points any week. The rest of the NFL is trying to score 30. The rules favor teams scoring 30. The refs throw flags to make sure somebody scores 30. If our defense plays great we hold them to 24 or less. Only problem is when we score less we still lose. 24-23 or 27-24.

I just don't see Lamar as a long-term QB option.
    RGIII might end up our guy. great value, on the roster.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)