View Poll Results: Your thoughts on next steps for the Ravens Re: Joe and Lamar

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Both- No need to change anything. Ride out contracts.

1 2.08%
  • Hold Joe as insurance and try to trade/cut later once Lamar is more proven.

7 14.58%
  • The Lamar Era is here. Cut Joe at end of season and invest that money elsewhere!

25 52.08%
  • Other, please explain

15 31.25%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Best choice for Ravens

Other: Try to trade Joe after the season ends. Lamar is the starter going into 2019. RG3 is the backup.

2. Re: Best choice for Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    No I don’t believe it does
    Don't the contracts of veterans become guaranteed if they're on the roster for week 1? Wasn't that why the Ravens cut (and re-signed) Forsett in 2015?

edit: I'm not 100% certain here (Brian would be a good person to ask), but I don't see anything about the cap hit in the (incredibly awful) language. The guarantee may not count against the cap (but the team would still have to pay Joe his entire 2019 salary if he makes the 53-man and stays on it through the first game). The full requirements:
    Quote Originally Posted by CBA
    ARTICLE 30
    TERMINATION PAY
    Section 1. Eligibility:
    1. Any player who has completed the season in which his fourth year or more of credited service under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Retirement Plan has been earned shall be eligible for Termination Pay under this Article if:
      1. He is released after his Club’s first regular season game; and
      2. He has made the Active/Inactive List of his Club on or after the date of his Club’s first regular season game.
    2. Subject to Section 3 below, the amount of Termination Pay payable to such player shall be the unpaid balance of his Paragraph 5 Salary for that League Year. Termination Pay under this Article shall be claimed and payable no sooner than one day after the end of the regular season schedule, and no later than February 1. A player will not be entitled to Termination Pay more than once during his playing career in the NFL.

edit 2: Seems that Termination Pay does count against the cap
    Quote Originally Posted by CBA
    Article 13, Section 5
    (d) Termination Pay. Any type of Termination Pay liability will be included in Team Salary at the time the player is released, except to the extent the Team is relieved of any such liability.
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 12-13-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I almost hope he goes to DC just so the guy doesn't have to pack up his whole family and move. Like the dude has a life here. I know he's a millionaire and he's a player and that's what he signs up for, but I hope the chips fall in such a way that he doesn't have to totally abandon his life he's built.
    He has a life in Jersey. He could go to the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    No I don’t believe it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I honestly don't know. I know if a vet starts after the first game its not usually guaranteed, so if he starts before it is? May depend on specific contract.
    anyhow its not a horrible deal for either side. Obviously Flacco would want more cash up front, but a good faith "renegotiate or cut me after one year" agreement may have to do.

Wait for the season to play itself out. There's no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Care to list them?
    imnot a stupid gm so i dont know

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No one is putting $26 million in cap space for a backup. Honestly I can't see any team trading for him with that contract but you there is no rush. Keep trying through the draft.
    Statements like this are just silly, because Flacco is a starter in this league. If you think he's not, you need to look around at the non top quarterback play. When Winston stinks out in Tampa but they are still kicking that around despite his sexual assault and other moral offenses, it tells you a lot about the league.

Flacco is an uneven quarterback, but he can put together a game to beat the Steelers, or the Patriots Etc something that a lot of guys getting chances right now have never proven they are even capable of

Giants would take him in a heartbeat and Odell Beckham jr. Would be immediately guaranteed bounce back year with his ability to track down deep balls

Simply put there are at least 5 to 10 teams who will have interest in Flacco

This is also why it is super likely that we trade him and get at least a second or third, easily

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

Flacco is an uneven quarterback, but he can put together a game to beat the Steelers, or the Patriots Etc something that a lot of guys getting chances right now have never proven they are even capable of

Giants would take him in a heartbeat and Odell Beckham jr. Would be immediately guaranteed bounce back year with his ability to track down deep balls

Simply put there are at least 5 to 10 teams who will have interest in Flacco

This is also why it is super likely that we trade him and get at least a second or third, easily
    ^^^this

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No one is putting $26 million in cap space for a backup. Honestly I can't see any team trading for him with that contract but you there is no rush. Keep trying through the draft.
    He would be someone's starter I'm thinking, but if Joe & Joe agree to it, can't another club spread that $26m how they want?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    As I said before, Alex Smith coming off an MVP type of year only netted a third rounder in draft compensation (along with CB Fuller). I don't know why you would expect to get better compensation for a Joe Flacco who objectively hasn't been a consistently good player since 2014. Especially since the rest of the league is going to know that the Ravens want to get rid of him for future cap purposes. I think bmorecareful said a 4th rounder and to me that is optimum if you get a couple teams interested. I still feel like the compensation, if he's traded, will be lower than that even.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    As I said before, Alex Smith coming off an MVP type of year only netted a third rounder in draft compensation (along with CB Fuller). I don't know why you would expect to get better compensation for a Joe Flacco who objectively hasn't been a consistently good player since 2014. Especially since the rest of the league is going to know that the Ravens want to get rid of him for future cap purposes. I think bmorecareful said a 4th rounder and to me that is optimum if you get a couple teams interested. I still feel like the compensation, if he's traded, will be lower than that even.
    All you would need is 2-3 teams who have serious interest in Flacco. That would be enough to drive his value up. He may be the best option available after this season, and there are more teams than that who will need a starting QB.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

I really do think that there will be a market for Joe's services. He's still a capable QB with the right pieces around him and I think there are a few teams that make some sense. However, I'd only cut him if I couldn't trade him.

The NY Giants make a lot of sense to me. Also, Joe being from NJ, could look at the Giants as a really nice spot to end his career. He gets to go there and throw to OBJ and hand off to Saquon Barkley. Joe makes the Giants competitive again in 2019.

I think Tampa will hang onto Jameis Winston, but if they don't, I could see them being interested in Joe.

I also think Jacksonville could be very interested in Joe.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.