Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on retaining RG3 with Lamar as Starter and Flacco as QB2

I saw a little bit of a notion in the Lamar is the starter thread that we shouldn’t waste a roster spot on RG3 if Flacco is active and the backup. I wanted to post my thoughts, but I didn’t want to take away from the hope for Lamar and praise for Joe’s accomplishments.

I believe it would be a mistake to release RG3. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a Washington reunion given the circumstances they are having. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see him go to one of many other QB hungry teams, or be signed due to potential injury. If that happens and he starts, I believe he would do well enough to earn a potential deal as a starter. I think he looked solid in training camp, the preseason, and in limited opportunities this year. I want him as Lamar’s backup next year, and I think holding on to him and resigning him is worth the roster spot now, rather than risking losing him and having him price himself out of Baltimore next year. He can run the same offense as Lamar, which would be a valuable asset if Lamar is injured. We wouldn’t have to worry about a “Joe” package by having two different style quarterbacks on the roster.

I also can see the counter points...he was out of football for a year and appeared washed up as a starter in Cleveland. A Washington reunion could be unlikely due to the way his previous departure ended. That final roster spot could be valuable if we could bring up a depth piece instead of a QB3 who isn’t active. It also could be construed as a selfish opinion to keep him if he’d be inactive but could start elsewhere...then again, as a veteran, his contract is guaranteed and we’d be on the hook for the rest of his money if we released him.

There are many sides to this. Any thoughts on what the best decision may be?

Re: Thoughts on retaining RG3 with Lamar as Starter and Flacco as QB2

I may be alone on this but I'm not really a fan of RG3 and it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a guy late. Daniel Jones is a late pick I might be happy with

Quote Originally Posted by jravens320 View Post
    I saw a little bit of a notion in the Lamar is the starter thread that we shouldn’t waste a roster spot on RG3 if Flacco is active and the backup. I wanted to post my thoughts, but I didn’t want to take away from the hope for Lamar and praise for Joe’s accomplishments.

I believe it would be a mistake to release RG3. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a Washington reunion given the circumstances they are having. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see him go to one of many other QB hungry teams, or be signed due to potential injury. If that happens and he starts, I believe he would do well enough to earn a potential deal as a starter. I think he looked solid in training camp, the preseason, and in limited opportunities this year. I want him as Lamar’s backup next year, and I think holding on to him and resigning him is worth the roster spot now, rather than risking losing him and having him price himself out of Baltimore next year. He can run the same offense as Lamar, which would be a valuable asset if Lamar is injured. We wouldn’t have to worry about a “Joe” package by having two different style quarterbacks on the roster.

I also can see the counter points...he was out of football for a year and appeared washed up as a starter in Cleveland. A Washington reunion could be unlikely due to the way his previous departure ended. That final roster spot could be valuable if we could bring up a depth piece instead of a QB3 who isn’t active. It also could be construed as a selfish opinion to keep him if he’d be inactive but could start elsewhere...then again, as a veteran, his contract is guaranteed and we’d be on the hook for the rest of his money if we released him.

There are many sides to this. Any thoughts on what the best decision may be?
    Why would they trade rg3 or release him? When you have a rookie or 1 year starter, you want a veteran like rg3 on your team who can mentor him. Like he has been doing so far. They have the same skill set but rg3 is a better passer. I don't know if rg3 signed a multi year deal but hopefully so. The qb market with have some vacancies next year. He could be look at.

I'm confused by your post do you mean this year or continued through next season?

Next year he will be cut or traded for two reasons. One it saves us 10 million. Two keeping Flacco as a backup when he could probably find a starting job somewhere else is a pretty shitty thing to do and is sure to cause unnecessary problems.

Originally I thought there was no way we'd get anything for him but there are a certain group of teams like the Redskins and Jags who are good enough where they won't be picking early enough to take a qb but desperately need one. I don't know what the term will be but it should be something.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdGang_301 View Post
    Why would they trade rg3 or release him? When you have a rookie or 1 year starter, you want a veteran like rg3 on your team who can mentor him. Like he has been doing so far. They have the same skill set but rg3 is a better passer. I don't know if rg3 signed a multi year deal but hopefully so. The qb market with have some vacancies next year. He could be look at.
    He signed a 1 year $1.1M deal

I'm all for bringing him back to be Lamar's backup for the next few seasons. Similar playing styles and they seem to have a good relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I'm confused by your post do you mean this year or continued through next season?

Next year he will be cut or traded for two reasons. One it saves us 10 million. Two keeping Flacco as a backup when he could probably find a starting job somewhere else is a pretty shitty thing to do and is sure to cause unnecessary problems.

Originally I thought there was no way we'd get anything for him but there are a certain group of teams like the Redskins and Jags who are good enough where they won't be picking early enough to take a qb but desperately need one. I don't know what the term will be but it should be something.
    To be clear, I meant for the rest of this season. Do we hold on to RG3 even though Flacco is, for now. The experienced veteran back up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    He signed a 1 year $1.1M deal

I'm all for bringing him back to be Lamar's backup for the next few seasons. Similar playing styles and they seem to have a good relationship.
    I’ve said it in other threads but I think he wants a chance to land somewhere and get in a qb competition Miami maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, I meant for the rest of this season. Do we hold on to RG3 even though Flacco is, for now. The experienced veteran back up.
    With Joe's recent injury history, I would keep RG III on the roster for the balance of his contract. There are positive points about his skill-set as compared to Lamar and it looks like he has no problem being a mentor. At this stage, it looks like Joe only comes in if Lamar is hurt. With that, do you want to be left with Flacco as the only QB on the roster ?
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    With Joe's recent injury history, I would keep RG III on the roster for the balance of his contract. There are positive points about his skill-set as compared to Lamar and it looks like he has no problem being a mentor. At this stage, it looks like Joe only comes in if Lamar is hurt. With that, do you want to be left with Flacco as the only QB on the roster ?
    No, my point was that I think we should keep RG3 because he will be a valuable asset as a back-up in a Lamar lead offense. I think that is worth the roster spot for the rest of this year and will provide more future value than a depth player would if we were to release RG3 and use his roster spot on someone else for the rest of the year.

Blog Entries

They aren't going to cut him this year.

Looking at next year, which I know is different than what you were asking, to me, he's not a suitable backup. He's not very good, which is okay by itself for a backup QB, but he's also not very durable. Relying on a guy like that to backup a guy who is inevitably IMO going to miss games based on his style of play is a good way to end up like the Redskins this year, scraping the bottom of the barrel for someone to play QB for you derailing a good season.

I'd look at a Tyrod reunion, if he can't find any work as a starter. It'd be a wise investment IMO.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

No one is releasing RGIII with 3 games to go. Why would anyone even think that's on the table? Flacco maybe finally cleared to play but that doesn't mean he's healthy. It's not like the Ravens are desperate for the roster spot. Anyone getting seriously hurt at this point is headed for IR which would open up a space. There is just no reason to cut RGIII at this point.

RGIII is on a 1 year deal so it's very possible he won't be back next year. In my opinion RGIII is not a NFL level player and I don't want him back anyway but that's something to look at in the offseason

Blog Entries

yes, only 3 games left. they're not going to cut either

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!