Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Using an Ad Blocker? Please Read.

So here's an example of what I was talking about. I posted a video on the "what to do at center" thread but only the left half of the video is visible because a 250x300 ad is overlapping it. The text is reformatted into a narrow frame to give room for the ad, but images and videos don't display properly.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    My take is that if this is the price I/we have to "pay" to post here, then so be it. I turned off my Ad Blocker, and while it's a little annoying, it's OK as long as I can post my opinions on the board. Nothing in life is totally free... Bc
    Eh it's kind of bullshit. If you're going to force posters to disable adblock then just be honest about it. Don't call it a "request" and make it seem like we have the option. What's even more bullshit is a number posters have expressed their disappointment and we can't even get a response.

I get that it costs money to run this site, but this is a bad look for RSR IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Eh it's kind of bullshit. If you're going to force posters to disable adblock then just be honest about it. Don't call it a "request" and make it seem like we have the option. What's even more bullshit is a number posters have expressed their disappointment and we can't even get a response.

I see the "request" as more of an explanation, especially since I'm guessing you can't see the request until the remove the ad blocking from the site. Not sure what response you want or expect.
    It's a business that needs money to grow/survive - we all saw how the pay wall was received. I'm going to enjoy it until they come up with something better. Or it gets swallowed up and turns to crap.

It'd honestly be totally acceptable if they just kept the ads on the right hand side and did away with the ads embedded within the posts that interfere with the content.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    It'd honestly be totally acceptable if they just kept the ads on the right hand side and did away with the ads embedded within the posts that interfere with the content.
    that is annoying

Blog Entries

Double T, I couldn't agree less. So I'll repeat my prior statement : nothing in life is free. If those who administer the RSR board get some sort of compensation for running the site, then so be it. I look at what we posters receive, and it's a reward for our cumulative efforts. Call it Win - Win or symbiotic... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Double T, I couldn't agree less. So I'll repeat my prior statement : nothing in life is free. If those who administer the RSR board get some sort of compensation for running the site, then so be it. I look at what we posters receive, and it's a reward for our cumulative efforts. Call it Win - Win or symbiotic... Bc
    All I'm saying is it could have been handled a different way. Just come out and tell us that in order to access the board we need to disable adblock. Don't make it seem like we have a choice.

I'm sure they can find a happy medium for all involved. Like I said I wouldn't really mind if the ads weren't embedded in posts. For now I'll just keep javascript disabled for this site. I don't want to do it, but it's the only option.

Blog Entries

I don't block ads here or elsewhere. Perhaps I have just developed tolerance for it and don't really mind it.

All I'm saying is it could have been handled a different way. Just come out and tell us that in order to access the board we need to disable adblock. Don't make it seem like we have a choice.

I'm sure they can find a happy medium for all involved. Like I said I wouldn't really mind if the ads weren't embedded in posts. For now I'll just keep javascript disabled for this site. I don't want to do it, but it's the only option.

its embarassing for RSR no one replied to any of the complaints tells u what u need to know

10. Re: Using an Ad Blocker? Please Read.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post

its embarassing for RSR no one replied to any of the complaints tells u what u need to know
    I doubt anyone is actually embarrassed. I do agree it was handled and continues to be handled quite poorly. That does speak volumes. I do totally understand that they are trying to generate needed income. I get that.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your posts. A couple of points.

1. Ads in actual posts are gone. There used to be one in the first, and one in the last post of each thread. They are gone. There is one between posts 1 and 2 and one at the bottom - outside of the thread. All other ads are in the side bar. These are the square ones. If those are intrusive in any way, please let me know.
    2. We did ask for you to voluntarily turn off your Ad Blockers. It's in the very first post of this thread. Unfortunately, the request was largely ignored.
    3. The script is a trial. We're simply working through some ideas.
    4. Nobody has asked you to click on, or visit any of our sponsors. We simply request that you allow them to display their ads. This was also stated int he first thread.

Running this site is expensive in a four figure per month kinda way. Bandwidth and CPU power costs money. We are simply trying to support some of those costs through advertising.

If you have questions, fire away. Flak jacket is on.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin Steve View Post
    Thanks for your posts. A couple of points.

1. Ads in actual posts are gone. There used to be one in the first, and one in the last post of each thread. They are gone. There is one between posts 1 and 2 and one at the bottom - outside of the thread. All other ads are in the side bar. These are the square ones. If those are intrusive in any way, please let me know.
    2. We did ask for you to voluntarily turn off your Ad Blockers. It's in the very first post of this thread. Unfortunately, the request was largely ignored.
    3. The script is a trial. We're simply working through some ideas.
    4. Nobody has asked you to click on, or visit any of our sponsors. We simply request that you allow them to display their ads. This was also stated int he first thread.

Running this site is expensive in a four figure per month kinda way. Bandwidth and CPU power costs money. We are simply trying to support some of those costs through advertising.

If you have questions, fire away. Flak jacket is on.
    Thanks for getting rid of the ads within posts, looks way better now.