Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Using an Ad Blocker? Please Read.

Ladies and Gents. I'm reaching out to you today with a request. These forums and the associated content side of the site are funded solely by our sponsorships and advertisers. We have never charged for our content, nor will we ever do so.

We know through measurable stats that a good percentage of you use Ad Blockers. We're asking you to white-list this great site so that our ads are displayed. We display very simple ads that are neither pop-ups nor pop-unders. They are simple banners and most of them are local Maryland businesses. We are NOT asking you to click on any ad, visit a business or buy anything.

I know that some of you have recently had bad experiences with rogue popups, especially on mobile. We have removed the advertising platform we believe to be responsible for those ads (Stanza Calendar), so if you enabled Ad Blocker to counter that particular platform, please consider disabling it now that Stanza has been removed.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary for this little message board. We have evolved from a simple UBB platform run on a local server, through the Scout.com period and now in our12th year as RSR. Please support us by disabling that Ad Blocker.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or vents please post below.

Go Ravens!!
    Last edited by Admin Steve; 12-08-2018 at 01:04 AM.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Re: Using an Ad Blocker? Please Read.

20 years!!! Wow, time flies...

Done. I could have sworn I turned it off before.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniacx View Post
    Done. I could have sworn I turned it off before.
    Thank-you very much.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

What's up with the "please disable adblock" popup? It's like we're being forced to turn off adblock if we want to use the site.

I turned mine off but the ads in between posts are really annoying.

Blog Entries

To be fair, the ads don't seem that bad now that I've turned off ad blocker.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

A few points:

1. This isn't a request so just be honest about that. You can't use the site if you don't disable it.
    2. I have ad blocker for reasons beyond annoyance. I have small children & cats in my house. If I get up for one second someone has been clicking things accidentally.
    3. Thought I'd let you know that you can't even read this without first disabling the ad blocker.

I disabled, and will give it a try again. But just for reference, the reason I turned off adds was for visual sanity. The site wasn't loading ads correctly and it it was a bit of a visual mess.

When I turned ad blocking off just now, I was immediately greeted with two different ads overlapping each other. I wanted to post a screen grab that I captured but there is a 19K limit. 19K. Are you serious?

I'm suggesting that perhaps the software used for the forum, which seemingly hasn't changed in the twenty years the board has existed, is the problem.

While I'm complaining about the platform, why does the search function require me to wait 45 seconds? Is there a reason? Today I was searching for old threads about Jimmy Smith, and it returned dozens of threads, each with scores of pages. To find a relevant post, I needed to select a thread, and then do a second search within the thread for "Jimmy Smith." Why do I have to wait to do a secondary search? Is the server really in jeopardy of crashing from search requests?

Hey, you asked for comments and suggestions. Happy to oblige your request to subject myself to ads...I just ask for some reciprocity on the user experience.

Thanks. And congrats to you, Tony and the gang for 20 years!

Jesus. I was claiming I was old when I joined this board.

I'm not turning my ad blocker off. I will just no longer use my laptop to visit this site. :(

Tapatalk from here on out which means I will visit less frequently unless the adblocker is fixed to where I can keep mine on and still use the site

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I'm not turning my ad blocker off. I will just no longer use my laptop to visit this site. :(

Tapatalk from here on out which means I will visit less frequently unless the adblocker is fixed to where I can keep mine on and still use the site

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Same I turned it off to look at some threads and respond to this thread.

11. Re: Using an Ad Blocker? Please Read.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I disabled, and will give it a try again. But just for reference, the reason I turned off adds was for visual sanity. The site wasn't loading ads correctly and it it was a bit of a visual mess.

When I turned ad blocking off just now, I was immediately greeted with two different ads overlapping each other. I wanted to post a screen grab that I captured but there is a 19K limit. 19K. Are you serious?

I'm suggesting that perhaps the software used for the forum, which seemingly hasn't changed in the twenty years the board has existed, is the problem.

While I'm complaining about the platform, why does the search function require me to wait 45 seconds? Is there a reason? Today I was searching for old threads about Jimmy Smith, and it returned dozens of threads, each with scores of pages. To find a relevant post, I needed to select a thread, and then do a second search within the thread for "Jimmy Smith." Why do I have to wait to do a secondary search? Is the server really in jeopardy of crashing from search requests?

Hey, you asked for comments and suggestions. Happy to oblige your request to subject myself to ads...I just ask for some reciprocity on the user experience.

Thanks. And congrats to you, Tony and the gang for 20 years!

Jesus. I was claiming I was old when I joined this board.
    Shas, you can upload pictures here. After uploading, the site provides a link specifically for BBcode forums, making it easy to post images here. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Ooookay, so I paused it for this site.... I'll give it a shot, since I like the place and all. :)

Just don't expect me to be clicking on any of the ads. :p

So far, a SwagDog banner is stretched across to the side ads, overlapping it. Kinda an eye sore, but minimal. No different than the ads under random posts on Tapa....annoying, but easy to pass by