Page 1 of 18 123 ... LastLast

Problems with Jackson

The level of fan excitement over LJ is a problem. Yes he’s won two games. Against two very, very bad teams missing a lot of starters. He’s winning just like Tebow did. His QBR has been 35.7 and 36.2 according to ESPN. It’s been mostly smoke and mirrors. High school play books. Qb runs which won’t cut it long term in the NFL. 55% passing on short passes won’t cut it. Throws a lot of 50:50 balls. Two got picked Sunday. Edwards is going to be challenged to average 5-6 yards a carry behind this line.

Worse teams are getting film on him. This week every down he will have a spy on him. Running gets much harder. They will figure out what he can do well and figure out how to stop him. Tebow ran out of smoke and mirrors. LJ is not going to suddenly learn what he needs over the next two weeks. He needs thousands of hours and snaps.

We need to start thinking outside the box. I know, not a Harbs strong point. If Joe is healthy alternate drives between qbs. Or Joe is qb and bring in LJ in short yard plays. Bring him in the red zone. Maybe Joe takes 35-40 snaps and LJ takes 20-25 snaps. Make it a set of plays taylored for LJ that takes advantage of what he does well without giving teams too good a look at him of them.

Re: Problems with Jackson

Tim Tebow eh? Good comp

Blog Entries

QBR is still pretty subjective.

The one INT he threw against Oakland was a terrible read on his part. He zero'ed in on John Brown and the defense read it. He threw it into tight coverage.

That said, he made some really nice throws too. He would have had over 200 yards if it weren't for some penalties. He would have had 3 TD passes as well if Andrews weren't slow and John Brown didn't alligator-arm one of the passes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    The level of fan excitement over LJ is a problem. Yes he’s won two games. Against two very, very bad teams missing a lot of starters. He’s winning just like Tebow did. His QBR has been 35.7 and 36.2 according to ESPN. It’s been mostly smoke and mirrors. High school play books. Qb runs which won’t cut it long term in the NFL. 55% passing on short passes won’t cut it. Throws a lot of 50:50 balls. Two got picked Sunday. Edwards is going to be challenged to average 5-6 yards a carry behind this line.

Worse teams are getting film on him. This week every down he will have a spy on him. Running gets much harder. They will figure out what he can do well and figure out how to stop him. Tebow ran out of smoke and mirrors. LJ is not going to suddenly learn what he needs over the next two weeks. He needs thousands of hours and snaps.

We need to start thinking outside the box. I know, not a Harbs strong point. If Joe is healthy alternate drives between qbs. Or Joe is qb and bring in LJ in short yard plays. Bring him in the red zone. Maybe Joe takes 35-40 snaps and LJ takes 20-25 snaps. Make it a set of plays taylored for LJ that takes advantage of what he does well without giving teams too good a look at him of them.
    Ultimately I agree with you. I recognize that LJ is not at the level needed (yet) to win a championship. If you're going to win a championship you either need a great QB and some key players, or you need a very good team that's complete and has very good players in spots.

I don't think this team is either of those options, but I will say this: I don't think that LJ is tim tebow at all. He has similar stats sure, but he's a completely different player. Better speed, better processing, better throwing motion. I also think that this Ravens team is better than that Broncos team that made the playoffs with Tebow.

I don't think this is a championship caliber team right now, but I do think they have a good formula right now: run the ball alot and shorten the game, keep the defense fresh, keep the other offense on the sideline, play good D, have some good special teams plays.

I think if this team can continue that formula against the good teams then you're looking at a dark horse playoff spoiler.

Blog Entries

Problems with Jackson

Mariota had a 127 QBR last night and they lost by 17
    It’s a subjective stat.

Edit. 147

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Holding onto Flacco by a thread. But since we feel like bitching about a rookies first two games.

Flacco’s first two games:
    Vs Bengals(4-11-1)
    15-29 129 yards(37 rushing yards)
    0 TD
    0 Int
    63.7 QBR

Vs Browns(4-12)
    13-18 129 yards(-2 rushing yards)
    0 TD
    2 Int
    47.8 QBR

Flacco didn’t even have a single touchdown in his first two games against shitty teams and ended up becoming a super bowl MVP. Were you also complaining about Flacco back then? Just let it play out. Lamar will get better just like Flacco did.

Blog Entries

I don't necessarily disagree that a lot of what they are doing these past two games is not at all sustainable, but why is fans being excited about him a problem? After five years of little to no excitement around this team, I'm more than fine with people getting excited over Jackson's prospects.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

It’s his first 2 games! Let the fans enjoy it. We all know it was at home against terrible defenses. If LJ is still playing this way as the starter next year I’ll worry. For now I’m going to enjoy the party.

Blog Entries

LOL these flaccoites just can't let it go

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It’s his first 2 games! Let the fans enjoy it. We all know it was at home against terrible defenses. If LJ is still playing this way as the starter next year I’ll worry. For now I’m going to enjoy the party.
    Agreed.

I am not a scouting expert, and he’s certainly made some rookie mistakes, but as a 21 year old, starting his first 2 games, I have been very impressed with his performance.

And this is coming from someone that, while not totally against the LJ pick, I was definitely in the neutral, “I’ll believe it when I see it”, camp.

Having a spy on LJ is one of the reasons those holes are there for the RBs. With Flacco at QB, that spy is an extra guy clogging the running lanes and reducing the YPC from 5+ to back where it was before the bye (mid-3's). And the hits he took Sunday were a lot less than Joe has taken recently.

If the opposing defense shuts down the run, or if the team gets behind, then put Joe in to air it out. Before that, I'd use LJ. I'd even put them both in the backfield with Edwards a few times, and let the defense figure out which guy is going to get the snap. If it's Joe, LJ can run a wheel route to take the spy (hopefully an LB) with him.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell