Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

OT: Alex Smith career might be over

Redskins QB Alex Smith dealing with infection after complications from multiple surgeries

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...iple-surgeries

"Sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini that there is concern that Smith, 34, is dealing with a career-ending injury after breaking the tibia and fibula in his right leg during a Week 11 loss to the Houston Texans."

Sounds extremely serious. Hopefully they are able to get the infection under control and he continue to live a normal life him playing has to be secondary thought at this point.

I;m not a doctor but when you hear multiple surgeries and a bone infection the first thought is there might be a real risk he loses a leg.

Re: OT: Alex Smith career might be over

Wow that right there is intense. I hope he pulls through, forget football.. keep your limbs man! Always respected Smith though, as soon as everyone thought he was a bust dude showed some fight and made a career happen.

Man. Best wishes Alex.

That's a troublesome report. I hope they get the infection under control. My brother was just on IV antibiotics for a foot infection for 3 weeks. It didn't go into the bone but would have been much worse if it had. Bone infections can be deadly.

Stuff like this is why I HATE when fans take the sides of owners in contact disputes. This year, its Leveon Bell.

"How could you hold out when you're making millions? blah blah blah"

Look, if you are playing this game and not happy with your compensation relative to your production, and you don't want to play? DON'T PLAY. its your right, and its prudent. Because the risks of this game are real. A bad hit or a bad sack and your life can be in danger.

Get well soon, Alex, and I hope his leg doesn't end up in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Stuff like this is why I HATE when fans take the sides of owners in contact disputes. This year, its Leveon Bell.

Look, if you are playing this game and not happy with your compensation relative to your production, and you don't want to play? DON'T PLAY. its your right, and its prudent. Because the risks of this game are real. A bad hit or a bad sack and your life can be in danger.

Yeah but this a 100% injury risk game. These players know it from the pee wee leagues. Get to the NFL and save your millions because you will get injured. Gronk recently said that he hasn't spent a dime of his salary. Only endorsement money.

Don't play if you're scared of getting hurt, but at the same time don't go blowing your paychecks on frivolous pursuits when injury in knocking at your door.

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    Yeah but this a 100% injury risk game. These players know it from the pee wee leagues. Get to the NFL and save your millions because you will get injured. Gronk recently said that he hasn't spent a dime of his salary. Only endorsement money.

Don't play if you're scared of getting hurt, but at the same time don't go blowing your paychecks on frivolous pursuits when injury in knocking at your door.

I'm not talking about being scared of getting hurt. Not saying that.

I'm saying if Leveon Bell wants similar guaranteed money to what he sees his peers getting (David Johnson, Gurley, others), and Pittsburgh wants to go year to year with you, yeah, don't play if you don't want to. Because the risk is real, and you a) might not want to cost yourself bigger guarantees, and b) you should feel 100% good about the risk you're taking and the compensation you're getting.

I'm not talking about being scared of getting hurt. Not saying that.

I'm saying if Leveon Bell wants similar guaranteed money to what he sees his peers getting (David Johnson, Gurley, others), and Pittsburgh wants to go year to year with you, yeah, don't play if you don't want to. Because the risk is real, and you a) might not want to cost yourself bigger guarantees, and b) you should feel 100% good about the risk you're taking and the compensation you're getting.
    Bell can do whatever he wants but lets not pretend what Smith is going through is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Bell can do whatever he wants but lets not pretend what Smith is going through is normal.
    It's extreme, but let's not pretend like nfl players don't have season and career ending injuries often, as well, in a way different than basketball or baseball

It's a man's game and a risky sport, and they deserve to get paid. They really generate our entertainment with their blood sweat and tears. What Alex Smith is going through is possible on each and every snap, even if it's unlikely.

Blog Entries

A couple of years ago Rob Gronkowski had similar complication on his left arm. He ended up having 3 surgeries because of the infection. It’s horrible but that’s a guy who recovered to the point where he was able to play again.

That would suck. I've always like Alex Smith. Always thought he got a raw deal in his first 5 years at SF with them constantly firing OC's and changing schemes while being completely unable to give him anyone to work with on the field. Add in the unfair situation of being drafted before Aaron Rodger and subsequently unavoidable comparisons to one of the best QB's to play the game and he's an easy guy to root for. Who knows what would've happened if the situations were reversed and Rodgers was dropped into a horrific situation in SF (and without the chip on his shoulder from being passed over by his hometown team 1st overall) and Smith got to learn for 3 years behind Favre.

Blog Entries

100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk